2010 1200GSA Ohlins standard non esa shock?

Farmer Palmer

Reaction score
My standard non ESA rear shock has always been very soft and I've had it on full preload for the last couple of years.

It's not leaking and has just passed its mot test today with no advisories but I still think the rear shock is a bit soft and the bike has covered 20,000 miles.

Is anyone using the Ohlins rear shock for this bike 2006-2014 and is it any good or what alternatives would you look at?

I'd consider a good second hand one but haven't seen any for sale.

Any advice appreciated.

FP.

On my 2011 GSA TC non ESA I fitted Maxton front and rear shocks when it was a few months old and they were a revelation , to be honest anything from a Hagon up to a Ohlins via YSS, Hyperpro, Nitron, Wilbers and Maxton will be an improvement over a standard shock with 20,000 miles and 7 years of use

I had Ohlins front and rear (non esa) on my GS they were outstanding I've got a Hagon on the rear of my Blade and it's a very good shock for the money If you go direct they will build you one to spec Mine was £300 with 2 year warranty Ultimately it's question of money and justifying the cost If you save your old one/s you can always sell a premium one/s to recoup a fair amount when you sell the bike Just my 2p :beerjug:

I also have a non ESA Maxton rear on my 08 GSA and have no complaints, they are around the £550 mark. Maxton service dept very helpful with the history of my shock as the bike came with no docs and I called them and gave the serial number. The spring is selected to suit your weight on purchase.
A cheaper option may be to have the shock serviced, they may be able to change the spring? Try MCT Suspension on 01449 777161, lots of friendly advice over the phone and going to send them my front for a reasonably priced service.

Will you appreciate what premium shocks add to the bike? I’m sure most of us will feel the difference but is that difference really worth from £1000 (double that with Ohlins).
If you were reasonably happy with the OEM performance (before they wore out) then get them rebuilt or go to Hagon. If they p’d you off with their rough ride and skipping over bumps, then sign up for a new mortgage.

I had a very soft rear shock on an 09 GS. After 30K miles it would bottom out very easily 2 up with luggage.
I tried Hyperpro stronger springs but the damping was too soft for them.
MCT rebuilt the shock and re-valved it to increase the compression damping and that sorted it with the stock spring.
The BMW shocks only have adjustable rebound damping.

I've been running Ohlins on my GS (not adventure) and I've found them to be brilliant. I'm no riding god and this is my first experience with high end shocks, but the Ohlins have added a predictability to the bike over changing surfaces that has enabled my riding to develop much more than I would have believed possible. Maybe they should be considered a rider upgrade rather than bike!

I'm currently returning the bike to standard to sell it so planning to list the Ohlins for sale (GS not GSA).

Stu.

I have GS non esa shocks on the GSA. Same length straight swap, though of course no fancy pushy button stuff.

Back
Top Bottom