The Triumph Range these days

The older bikes were Euro 3 compliant, but would fail the Euro 4 compliance requirements.

After the announcement of Euro 4, manufacturers were given 12 months grace to shift their Euro 3 stock, up to 10% of the total units sold over the previous two years.

Gaining Euro 4 was an impossibility for many older engines, which were allowed to quietly pass away.

Many models such as the K1300 R/S and GSXR-1300 Hayabusa are also victims of the Euro 4 ruling.

I had a good look at the 2018 Tiger 1200 today at Webbs in Peterborough. It appears to be really well put together with the top of the range having all the gizmos. The sales staff really think that it will take on the GS this time. I've got a test ride booked in a couple of weeks so will report back.

the 2018 bike is not that much of an advance on the previous version - of course I would say that as I bought a 2017 Explorer last May.

I believe there are still a number of 2017 bikes in the showrooms so check the prices as these bikes are a lot cheaper than the 2018 version with massive accessory packages included that make them pretty good value. An XRx with the "free" accessory bundle is very close to the XRt spec.

Triumph seem to be very savvy. Like BMW who are equally savvy, they are bucking the trend in larger capacity bike sales. They came into the market in the 1990s with modular design and have kept to that ethos, which serves them well. They have taken full advantage of the retro market using modern tech with classic styling. The outsourcing to Thailand has been a huge success, without the quality problems BMW has had with outsourcing. Let's hope they remain as savvy and continue to adapt to market changes as demand changes from powered two wheelers to 150bhp bath chairs.

The outsourcing to Thailand has been a huge success, without the quality problems BMW has had with outsourcing.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Triumph factories in Thailand being owned by Triumph and are assembly plants where they build up CKD bikes from the UK, whereas my understanding is that both BMW and KTM have their smaller engined bikes manufactured & aseembled in a corner of someone else's plant in India ?

Just another thought re the new Tiger 800 range with the TFT dash, I looked closely as to how might you mount a sat nav unit above the TFT , no apparently "easy" way to do this with the new screen etc..

Just another thought re the new Tiger 800 range with the TFT dash, I looked closely as to how might you mount a sat nav unit above the TFT , no apparently "easy" way to do this with the new screen etc..

If you perform a configuration on the new model on Triumphs website (e.g. 800XCA) one of the accessories is a GPS mounting arm that looks like it sits behind and above the TFT.

RBW.

A shade heavier than the GS and a whole lot lighter than a GSA. With a far superior engine a lot more power and far better put together. Not knocking the GS range they're great bikes. But for me the GS is not a patch on the Gen11 and Gen111 Explorers.

Are you sure about the weight Steve, a fully fuelled road ready GSA is 263kg a dry exp 1200 is 242 with 20l tank. So your looking at over 260kg with all the fluids....
Your 10L of fuel short against a GSA....so its quite a porker still given the tank size.

Despite the video's showing the 1200 offroad on an MX track that tripple lump and fuel tank is rather top heavy, you'll be in deep doodoo if you drop that offroad solo.
Atleast with a boxer twin it rocks on the heads.

Though the Ducati Mstrd enduro pro packs a 30ltr tank and is 232 dry so a fair comparison....and then there is the 1190 adv R.....

I wonder if this has anything to do with the Triumph factories in Thailand being owned by Triumph and are assembly plants where they build up CKD bikes from the UK, whereas my understanding is that both BMW and KTM have their smaller engined bikes manufactured & aseembled in a corner of someone else's plant in India ?

pretty much - in a news feature on BBC Midlands the Triumph chap said this. The other factor is a direct link to HQ means they can introduce a change, either to improve quality or a new model variation with a very short lead time. With the BMW/KTM model you are tied to batch ordering so you may end up with 10,000 faulty sub assemblies

It is rather strange however that Triumph's most popular model here in the UK (the Bobber) is manufactured here, sent to Thailand in a box of parts, assembled in the Thai factory, then crated back to the UK for sale :confused:

Now that's what you call a carbon footprint :blast

It is rather strange however that Triumph's most popular model here in the UK (the Bobber) is manufactured here, sent to Thailand in a box of parts, assembled in the Thai factory, then crated back to the UK for sale :confused:

Now that's what you call a carbon footprint :blast

I think they will make it all in Thailand eventually but in stages. A good way to do it. Make sure the workers can assemble the bike to the required standard to begin with. Once they have that sussed, get them to make the parts. Building an assembly line is quite a simple task. It's all about training people and getting the inventory in the right place at the right time. The latter part, making components, requires a massive investment in technology to get the presses, mills etc in place. They are only likely to do that once the stuff in Hinckley needs replacing.

I think they will make it all in Thailand eventually but in stages. A good way to do it. Make sure the workers can assemble the bike to the required standard to begin with. Once they have that sussed, get them to make the parts. Building an assembly line is quite a simple task. It's all about training people and getting the inventory in the right place at the right time. The latter part, making components, requires a massive investment in technology to get the presses, mills etc in place. They are only likely to do that once the stuff in Hinckley needs replacing.

The whole just in time logistics and sequencing of parts against the production plan is quite an art and one you’re right to say is experience to build over time. DHL employ several thousands of people to do just that for JLR in the uk - obviously chicken supply and sequencing to KFC is much more complicated:blast

A shade heavier than the GS and a whole lot lighter than a GSA. With a far superior engine a lot more power and far better put together. Not knocking the GS range they're great bikes. But for me the GS is not a patch on the Gen11 and Gen111 Explorers.

The GS is quoted as a kerb weight with all fluids including fuel, the Tiger 1200 and the explorer before it have their weights quoted dry so weight wise the GS is lighter by 20 odd kgs plus of course it's not as top heavy either. I've not riden the gen 11 or 111 versions so can't comment on them but found the gen 1 Explorer to be a big heavy bike compared to the GS.

Back
Top Bottom