Who do R Nine T owners use for servicing ??

markyb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,
I live in Basingstoke and my 2014 bike is due the yearly service so after checking its history and speaking to bahnstormer apparently this is a "minor one" consisting of an oil & filter change type service £230 ish and a shaft oil change £35 ish, does this sound about right?
Also when buying a used BMW would it out you off buying one that's been serviced by an independent garage rather than BMW?

Just a couple of questions as I'm not sure how long I'm keeping the bike for as I have a couple of European trips coming up and I'm not sure its the bike I want to be on for them,

Thanks

A full dealer service history will always be worth more than an independent, I'm not saying BMW will do a better job than an independent, but having a FBMWSH will add a premium to the price and make for an easier sale. I'd only ever buy a used BMW if it had a full dealer history.

I assume the parts are all the same as a GS. If so Engine Oil + Filter is about £50, Oil for the Final Drive (I assume that's what you mean by "shaft") is 200ml of oil that costs about £20 a litre, so call it £5 for convenience. Add say £10 to cover any washers, etc needed and disposal of old stuff that looks like around £200 for labour. I expect they charge that at approaching £100 / hour - so around two hours to two and half hours for the service. Some of that will (or should be) towards other general checks and adjustments like stand pivots, brakes and other wear parts, squirting a bit of oil and grease here and there to keep stuff lubed, and a wash. Up to you if you think its worth paying the labour when its just a few nuts and bolts to undo/refasten and tip some oil in. (You can probably guess from the tone, I don't think it's good value, but appreciate that others do).

The FBMWSH is probably worth having if you think you will be trading back into the BMW network, for a private sale or trade in to a.n.other dealership I wouldn't have thought it makes much difference as long as its documented.

I would certainly shop around for price,some BMW dealers offer a discount for older bike servicing.
I have not paid that much for a minor service on my 1200r.

I know a BM stamp carries a bit of value but I would be just as happy or more so with a well respected independent,Steptoe,Motorscot etc and know a more thorough job will be done.

if BMW service a 800 GS ,chain adjustment isn't part of it!! That will be extra sir!

stuff BMW - keep to your independents and get a better job done...

the difference at resale is negligible.....

Back
Top Bottom