Dropped it again!

shatnersbassoon

Reaction score
I've dropped my GSA twice in the 5 months since owning it. Both times have been when moving it around and mostly due to my own stupidity.
Starting to feel worried every time I get near it now! :)

The first time was on the driveway in front of the neighbour, and the second time was this afternoon after washing the bike.

Was putting the bike on the centre stand in the garage, and my wet foot slipped on the shiny centre stand lever then down she went! :(
Somehow, the only damage was a broken mirror bolt and my pride.

Please tell me I'm not the only one that has trouble 'keeping it up'. I never had any problems with my previous GS, but this GSA doesn't want to stay upright!

Also, has anyone come across any products that add a bit more grip to the centre stand lever? The bit that you put your foot on.

Cheers, Matt

Don’t worry. Your not the only one. I dropped my 1150GSA the first week I had it!!! You feel such a dick as it starts to go and there’s nothing you can do about it.
There are some tips around that help with moving a heavy bike but it’s all practice and confidence.
Done be put off. Just go slow!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope you had engine bars fitted, actually they can take a fall quite well, so don't worry about it, after all it is an adventure bike!

I wonder did you need to buy a new mirror or just the bolt?

The reason that I ask is that I'm after a standard mirror mounting cap, thats the small cap that the two bolts go through that clamps the mirror to the handle bars.

Unfortunatly we need you to fill in form 1-AM50-RRY incident report in triplicate and remit it to the UKGSer safety team for an assessment and post action reprimand for not dropping the bike in any mud.

If you just give me the bike, you won't have to worry about it anymore.
;)
(I am a good guy, I'll send you pictures periodically)

Unfortunatly we need you to fill in form 1-AM50-RRY incident report in triplicate and remit it to the UKGSer safety team for an assessment and post action reprimand for not dropping the bike in any mud.

Form is in the post, along with a promise to be doing something more adventurous than washing the pig the next time I drop it :D

Was putting the bike on the centre stand in the garage, and my wet foot slipped on the shiny centre stand lever then down she went! :(

I've done this but I think it should only catch you out once, now I double check that foot is firmly planted on the stand before lifting.

Was watching the trainer at the BMW GS off road demonstration showing how to manoeuvre the bike whilst standing alongside.... basically handlebar and grabrail but the tip was to get distance between your body and the bike. I think demo is available on Youtube. But yeah, it is a big heavy bike and easy enough to drop, once it starts to go hard to recover.

Take it outside and practice a good few times to gain confidence
Also , when doing it , go for it kind of aggressive like ,as half hearted efforts are the most likely to fail ,,n give you trouble , it ain't brute strength , it's just technique and confidence .:thumb2:thumb2

Take it outside and practice a good few times to gain confidence
Also , when doing it , go for it kind of aggressive like ,as half hearted efforts are the most likely to fail ,,n give you trouble , it ain't brute strength , it's just technique and confidence .:thumb2:thumb2

Who's bike did we have to pick up at Dent :augie :D

Was the fuel tank brim full, I found this made my GSA quite heavy high up, especial with full luggage and a pillion, that’s why I went back to a GS.

Was the fuel tank brim full, I found this made my GSA quite heavy high up, especial with full luggage and a pillion, that’s why I went back to a GS.

Yes it was, I'd just got back from the fuel station. Not sure I could have stopped it even if it was empty though.
It was certainly a pig to pick back up with a full tank.

Also found that my DIY security camera recorded the incident quite nicely, so I'll be able to enjoy it for years to come :)

Dropping a GS is common....I dropped my other 1 twice. Why did you fill it with fuel? Maybe an idea to leave 10l out so it's not as heavy and you'll still have enough for over 200 miles.

Dropping a GS is common....I dropped my other 1 twice. Why did you fill it with fuel? Maybe an idea to leave 10l out so it's not as heavy and you'll still have enough for over 200 miles.

Just out of habit, never really thought about not filling it completely as I don't notice the weight usually. But maybe I'll rethink that unless going on a long trip.

I think this requires a share as part of the exorcising process:p

That's very cruel to suggest I post the evidence of my own failure for your own personal amusement!

Here you go. I have no shame :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0uG-nmfNyI&feature=youtu.be

2 options I suppose.
1.Now you've sussed it's a heavy old thing...take care when pushing it about and watch for a slippery centre stand
2. Be a wuss, get shut and get something a few KG lighter.

I'm with the above suggestion...spend just a few seconds pushing it about a bit, find the balance points etc. Something they had us do on the BMW offroad course 15 yrs ago was to walk round the bike. Flick the side stand up and then walk right round it...then back again. At one point you have to balance it with just a hand on the handlebar ends...easy or very difficult dependent on the balance point.

(I can't really see how 10 less litres of fuel will make a huge difference to pushing it about the garage)

Bike too big for you?
Poor technique?
Unsuitable footwear?

It's one of the above.....if not a combination of them.

Nobody ever needed a grippy surface on a centre stand foot until toilet owners appeared.

Same happened to me recently. Back from a ride, putting bike onto the stand outside the garage, ready for a wash. My boot slipped off the stand, and over it went, away from me. RH cylinder head cam cover has the main scars.

Back
Top Bottom