Bazman's dash to Applecross.

bazman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
With the news on Friday that the Bealach Na Ba was finally open after a couple of weeks closure due to drifting snow and ice. I was like a bull charging after a red rag to the summit. Saturday morning left my home in the SW Scotland on auld SL0B, heated grips to the max and thermals and base layers to the max!! Roads while well salted were not that bad and relatively dry. Temps ranged from the minus up to 8 degrees depending on altitude. Took the motorway up to Glasgow then headed to the Green Welly for a warm up and coffee. Next stop Glencoe in all its magnificent splendour. Another quick stop at Fort William for supplies for the night then all sights onwards to the pass of the cattle. The nearer I got the more jittery I got , as had no idea what the conditions would be and the thought of a fully laden GSA in the snow and ice did not appeal to my now backwards thinking brain !! To my relief the pass was bathed in sunshine and did not see the remnants of the snow till 3/4 of the climb up. Apon reaching the summit you could see the snow drifts had accumulated to well over 12ft in places, reminding me of the Swiss alps. Next stop... where else but the Applecross Inn for some tasty sea food and celebratory pint of shandy. Had a quiet night at the Hartfield House hostel before a 8am deperature this morning and more minus figure driving. Was in 2 minds to take the coast road back to Strathcarron or to ride the pass again... the pass won lol. Actually got up to 2 degrees higher up so roads were ok. Arrived home later in afternoon with some great winter's riding. Another one ticked off my bucket list
d819d091af501368236f23ac951a5bbc.jpg
db86cbf28a9e89e937b7458d8b43c060.jpg
e39fbab5d6d1af0262f973ebaffb0f2a.jpg
c11e31cf9919d415bd7f04a2e6a8c705.jpg
b8cec348355f12c31634e1a6a90a8005.jpg
f7f8e09a0cb0591fadd835f302f026e5.jpg
50328240727a30087959910e1e3f135b.jpg
9c19ec7e68dc98d4389725ae7a2c4f0d.jpg
df0c39771d9e0ee712ac0fa322ebe01e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Great pics but what the fook was that "food" photo about ?

I hope it was a starter.:D
And I've seen more chips in a child's portion.

Thanks chaps, Tarka , it was a starter, but with a portion of chips as i'm a Scottish lad and staple diet :D

Well done for beating the cold and plus 1 for the Applecross inn food , it is excellent

Thanks chaps, Tarka , it was a starter, but with a portion of chips as i'm a Scottish lad and staple diet :D

Phew...that's a relief ! :D :beerjug:

Just looked at your photos again...they really are super.
Nice one mate.

Is the Harfield House hostel close to the Applecross inn?

Good man. Put my 3 hour bimble in the Dales to shame. Stuff the salty roads, get out and ride. :beerjug:

Well done Baz..
Great stuff....

Nice photos, thanks for sharing :thumb2

Been up many times with snow on the sides, very pretty and spectacular at this time of year.
When it's foggy at the top, now that's a little scary, more so going uphill from the Lochcarron end. Don't ask me how I know ;)

Re the Applecross Inn, you may or may not know that Ali Macleod the fisherman and front of the house,lost his life to the sea at the end of last year. Took great pride in getting his seafood from the sea bed to the plate more or less straight away.
He will be greatly missed.

Nice photos, thanks for sharing :thumb2

Been up many times with snow on the sides, very pretty and spectacular at this time of year.
When it's foggy at the top, now that's a little scary, more so going uphill from the Lochcarron end. Don't ask me how I know ;)

Re the Applecross Inn, you may or may not know that Ali Macleod the fisherman and front of the house,lost his life to the sea at the end of last year. Took great pride in getting his seafood from the sea bed to the plate more or less straight away.
He will be greatly missed.

Hi mate, I did know, sadly missed, not the same without him there.

Very inspiring and enjoyable read. It goes to show that you don’t need more than a couple of days for a decent little ‘adventure. Unless of course you live on a small island and need to book a ferry............

Back
Top Bottom