Pillon seat conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

steveC

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am trying to find out if you can remove the pillion seat on a LC and replace it with a blanking plate. The aim is to provide extra luggage space.

BMW and others offer a plate to do this on the GS. But I haven't seen it for a RT. I even thought a part of Police spec bike might do ?

It depends on how keen you are. Fabricating one would be very easy. I guess you could just use a donor seat for the chassis work. However, what is the problem with just strapping stuff on top of the current rear seat? What would you gain by adding a blanking plate?

With a blanking plate you can drill and attach items I need to carry. If the blanking plate uses the same mounts as the pillion seat that means its secure. So you can leave it on the bike. It also provides a better balance to the bike. I have two BMW top boxes, I use the smaller one when pressed. The larger 49l is too large but it came with the bike.

I like to keep the bike load between the wheels if possible. My riding style needs all the help I can give it.

Keep us posted with what you decide to do. It's always good to see alternative solutions.

I could be interested also--difficult on the RT to attach anything securely on top of the seat, unlike the GSA there are no anchorage hooks.

There must be someone out there who could fabricate one !!

Might be easier to get a spare one and convert it as has been suggested, the rear seat also has the lock for the front seat.

-difficult on the RT to attach anything securely on top of the seat,

Which RT are you talking of? My Wethead is really easy as the pillion seat is flat and the grab rails are massive and easy to tie things to.

Which RT are you talking of? My Wethead is really easy as the pillion seat is flat and the grab rails are massive and easy to tie things to.

On my ‘07 RT the grab handles and rack were grey plastic with a very thin silver overspray. Any tight strapping etc immediately exposed the unsightly plastic beneath

Yes, mine too are painted plastic. However, I always put a cloth where the straps go, and no signs of scratches or erosion as of yet...but they are really good handrails and tie down points!

Had intended to sort something for a planned trip to Spain. I ride there and Mrs S. fly's out. Well she's decided that she wants to do a bit pillion when there so my pillion seat removal has been put on hold.

Looks like this idea is bin bound. So thread closed.

Thank you to all those that replied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom