Sat Nav solenoid lock

byron

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am just wondering if anyone has used the satnav solenoid kits that are available from various suppliers on the net . I just feel it is about time that I protected my Nav v.

It's a difficult one, because (for example) the one from oldtimers.si which is a nice neat integration with the bike, is so expensive, you are a long way to buying another SatNav unit.
The other offerings from the likes of Wunderlich look so ugly and agricultural, that I would rather not have it fitted to my bike.
There is a tidy one that uses a bey arrangement shrouded by the lowered windscreen that looks half appealing.

I bought the parts from dealer and did the mod myself, works a treat

Can I ask what parts you bought from the dealer and how it works. Where is it connected and did you have to modify anything ?

Nav VI on a 2015 RT1200LC

We have done about 5 of these "mods" and they work well and without causing any negative visual appearances afterwards.
1 - B61.13.2.359.999 Rep kit £10.67
1 - C67.11.8.529.514 Actuator(solenoid) £37.61
1 - C46.63.8.534.876 Linkage £11.92
1 - C61.12.8.548.716 Adaptor £9.17
Basically you strip down the RHS of the fairing (being careful not to break the two "tabs") holding the upright portion of the side fairing, take off the screen and central moulding. The power for the solenoid can be taken from the RHS fairing luggage lock as you would have central locking anyways, ensure when it is "locked" the link arm is pushed away from the solenoid and solder the connections. (BMW were consulted prior to us doing this due to warranty and providing it is done correctly there would be no issues, apparently).
The solenoid is placed on the underside of the fairing console and stuck in place with either super epoxy or "Sugru" only when the linkage has been filed down to a point and when activated is pushed into the little slot which stops the release button from being completely pressed in and the SatNav being released.
We have taken pictures and made a "DIY" sheet which I am trying to locate. Should anyone be interested it takes an afternoon providing your careful, can solder ok and are neat and tidy. The only "give-a-way" is sometime the epoxy can fill one of the two drainage holes within the fairing central console and obviously when the SatNav is off and the central locking is activated, looking very carefully you can see the end of the linkage arm protruding about 2~3mm by the SatNav button hole.
I will do my best to locate the "DIY" sheet should anyone be interested.

It's a difficult one, because the one from oldtimers.si which is a nice neat integration with the bike, is so expensive, you are a long way to buying another SatNav unit.
....but having a SatNav stolen during a pee break on a French Autoroute would not be a bundle of fun .....

Hi Bandytales, I have managed to locate the DIY file, it has pictures and advice text alongside in a pdf file format. If you PM me with your e-mail I will send it over to you.
Rossy

We have done about 5 of these "mods" and they work well and without causing any negative visual appearances afterwards.
1 - B61.13.2.359.999 Rep kit £10.67
1 - C67.11.8.529.514 Actuator(solenoid) £37.61
1 - C46.63.8.534.876 Linkage £11.92u
1 - C61.12.8.548.716 Adaptor £9.17
Basically you strip down the RHS of the fairing (being careful not to break the two "tabs") holding the upright portion of the side fairing, take off the screen and central moulding. The power for the solenoid can be taken from the RHS fairing luggage lock as you would have central locking anyways, ensure when it is "locked" the link arm is pushed away from the solenoid and solder the connections. (BMW were consulted prior to us doing this due to warranty and providing it is done correctly there would be no issues, apparently).
The solenoid is placed on the underside of the fairing console and stuck in place with either super epoxy or "Sugru" only when the linkage has been filed down to a point and when activated is pushed into the little slot which stops the release button from being completely pressed in and the SatNav being released.
We have taken pictures and made a "DIY" sheet which I am trying to locate. Should anyone be interested it takes an afternoon providing your careful, can solder ok and are neat and tidy. The only "give-a-way" is sometime the epoxy can fill one of the two drainage holes within the fairing central console and obviously when the SatNav is off and the central locking is activated, looking very carefully you can see the end of the linkage arm protruding about 2~3mm by the SatNav button hole.
I will do my best to locate the "DIY" sheet should anyone be interested.

Thanks very much for that information if you can find the sheet I would like a copy of that as well please. I am sadly at the moment on holiday in Mexico struggling with 35° C and will not be back in the UK until the middle of next week so plenty of time. My email address is
byronlewis1 @yahoo.co.uk. Thanks again for your efforts Byron

Hi Rossy
I have all the info, but never got around to doing the upgrade to operate with the central locking.
Thinking of keeping this bike long term now, so how long did it take to complete please?
Thanks

Hi Rossy
I have all the info, but never got around to doing the upgrade to operate with the central locking.
Thinking of keeping this bike long term now, so how long did it take to complete please?
Thanks

In all the first time we did the first adaption was probably 4 to 5 hours, (like things hidden and neat)

Back
Top Bottom