Denali Split Soundbomb wiring issue

paganman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hope someone can help,

I decided to upgrade the horn on the XR with a Denali split Soundbomb I had fitted to an old bike.
To simplify the process I bought the Daneli plug and play wiring harness, and the adaptor that converts the OEM BMW horn harness to 2 spade connector.
All wired up and fitted this afternoon, fitted a fresh fully charged battery, pressed the horn button and the relay clicked but no horn? :confused:

Has anyone else had this, or am I missing something obvious?

I tested the horn to be sure it was still working by connecting it directly to the battery, and it's fine.

Any advice gratefully received.

Spade connectors plugged into horn wrong way round? Most have a polarity, not sure about this specific one.

Otherwise measure the voltage across your spade connectors with a multimeter when your assistant presses the horn to see if you get a voltage.

I tried swapping the spade connectors around but it didn't make a difference.
I'll try the checking the voltage on them though, didn't think of that. Thanks

The 12v you get when the button is pressed should drive the relay. You need a separate 12v, switched by the relay, going to the horn.

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but from your description it isn’t clear that this is the setup you have. I’m also assuming that the XR’s original horn was driven by canbus like it is on the GS.

From my experience it sounds like the switch side of the relay is fine so it is either a bad connection on the battery feed or earth. Where are you trying to earth the horn ?
Get a length of wire and take it from the horn back to the frame or known good earth. If that doesn't change anything do the same for the + side.

Cheers

Mick

From what you describe the issue could be that the Denali wants more than 5 amp or is right on the canbus limit and therefore tripping the canbus. Try wiring via a relay and the battery. I would also just check the Denali is working ok just by wiring temp to the battery direct.

Thanks for all the good advice.
The Denali loom I’ve got is the “plug & play one. It connects off the battery positive & negative, has a plug for the relay, 2 wires run to the horn and 2 more to the bikes Canbus harness adapter. So in theory it should be straightforward.
I’ll have a check with the multi meter once the shed gets above -4c and check everything is working as it should.
I know the horn is good as I tested it directly off the battery.

Too much load for canbus. You can switch the relay with the original horn supply, but the power supply to the relay needs to come from the battery.

Back
Top Bottom