Picos

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atlogis.spain&hl=es (An APP, don't know how it works or if it's any use)

http://geamap.com/visor-topografico-de-espana (Visor del mapa topografico de España tab, just keep zooming in and it shows OS style.

http://www.ign.es/web/ign/portal/cbg-area-cartografia Downloadable content but I don't know if it costs anything or how much definition they go.

The second link looked good for the kind of thing you need.

Remember, there will be one or two cowgates which will be closed/locked. In extremis I'd take (at the very least) wire cutters in case you get caught out late at night on a foggy hillside. Your life is worth more than a few cows, sheep or horses. Bolt cutters, however, would be preferable in case you need to break the weak padlocks which is preferable to breaching wire fences. WHY? Because the gate can then still be shut and a lock can be replaced easily. A section of wire fence is very much more costly and difficult to repair properly.

HTH

Post a half decent link to the section of the TET you have somehow found yourself routed along and someone might be able to help you.

Just marking it on a Google map or in a gpx file will help.

Smudger2 - Screwfix sell reasonably priced bolt cutters. A perfect joint adventure for the you all
One to order on the internet
2nd to flex your flexible friend
3rd plan the route in googlemaps
:D

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atlogis.spain&hl=es (An APP, don't know how it works or if it's any use)

http://geamap.com/visor-topografico-de-espana (Visor del mapa topografico de España tab, just keep zooming in and it shows OS style.

http://www.ign.es/web/ign/portal/cbg-area-cartografia Downloadable content but I don't know if it costs anything or how much definition they go.

The second link looked good for the kind of thing you need.

Remember, there will be one or two cowgates which will be closed/locked. In extremis I'd take (at the very least) wire cutters in case you get caught out late at night on a foggy hillside. Your life is worth more than a few cows, sheep or horses. Bolt cutters, however, would be preferable in case you need to break the weak padlocks which is preferable to breaching wire fences. WHY? Because the gate can then still be shut and a lock can be replaced easily. A section of wire fence is very much more costly and difficult to repair properly.

HTH

As I'm certain you well know, in Spain a trail that is closed with a lock denotes private property and is thus totally prohibited to pass as far as the TET is concerned - see the full text of the TET Code of Conduct here but this extract should do:

"As Trans Euro Trail® users, we have a responsibility to ourselves and the riders that come after us to ensure that access is maintained.
We should aim to be ambassadors of Trail Riding – that is riding and using the trails respectfully and sensitively."

Note that we have gone to the trouble of having this translated into all of the European languages, including the four 'official' languages in Spain.

Maybe what you should do is give your details to all of the Guardia Civils along the TET route so that when someone follows your advice and finds themselves under arrest for trespass and damage to private property you make yourself available to them as an accessory to the crime?

Meanwhile, if anyone does come across a locked 'gate' - these are usually made of strands of wire rather than gates as such - they note the position and send it to me together with a photograph so that the TET can be modified for future riders - as is indeed the case now.

Regarding the maps, the IGN maps are free to download but come in about a hundred individual 'tiles' so tat you¡'d have to have the skills/software to tie them all together. The on-line link is the same a the IGN map.

Regs

Simon

And what suggestions do YOU have as to how to help the three chimps with their enquiry?

The opening post gave little or no information at to where along the many miles between A (Potes) and B (Jaca) they encountered the TET section nor anything about how they plotted (or were given) the route in the first place. But it gave lots of guff about when they are off, the bikes they'll be riding, their past experience (or lack of it).... and they want to know what the (unknown) section will be like.

So, suggesting some ideas on how they might get some progress towards getting their question answered seems sensible, there not being much else coming their way. Will they do any of that? Probably not. Why? Because they probably can't be arsed or they'd have done it in the first place. Asking them to at least clearly identify the section might well help.

But hey, fill yer boots, mate. It's free.

You missed your vocation at Citizens Advise :D

HTH

Is it any wonder that farmers get pissed-off with bikermates?

“Oh, I fecked up, I’m lost, it’s dark and I’m no longer quite the ruftytufty bikermate I thought I was. So to rescue my sorry hide, I’ll cut my way out with my bolt cutter as I don’t give a feck about someone’s property, their sheep or much else. They can repair the fence, buy a new padlock and round their own sheep up. Feck ‘em, sheep shaggers”

This from the bloke who wanted to keep news of the best time to visit the Picos a secret, as he didn’t want anyone spoiling it for him.

As I said, "IN EXTREMIS". Listen I live here, I was born here, In fact, I was born up there and I used to own off roaders (cars and bikes) and ply the windfarm tracks and forest tracks. Do not apply British law to Spain. People die on mountains and you can be fogged out for days and die of exposure. If a farmer wants to remonstrate with me because I cut a lock, then I will happily explain the situation to them and re-imburse them if necessary. But, Wapping, people should die if they are stupid, right? Because you've never made a mistake or got yourself into trouble before. I suppose you'd fall on your sword, would you? I suppose you are the kind of person who smiles at the stupidity of dead walkers and climbers; because it's their own stupid fault, right?

Do you offroad? have you ever been up anything taller than a mound of sand? You don't have any mountains in the UK as tall as most in the Pyrennees and Picos and even if you did you wouldn't even be allowed up them on a bike. Have you ever been injured up a remote hillside or mountain with the fog rolling in? I haven't either but a fellow rider has and we needed to get back down fast and with his ankle we couldn't return the way we came. We didn't have to cut a fence, either, but I remember thinking that if we'd had to, I don't know if my leatherman pliers would have managed it.

So you're up there, and you fall, your ankle is broken or you have a deep cut. Your choices are: five miles of downhill loose and rocky (those mountains are made of granite mostly BTW and the rocks are very sharp) stones or cut a fence or break a lock and go for a mile to the nearest road on your satnav. What are you gonna do, Wapping? Leave your mate, tell your mates to leave you there? Perhaps you'll whistle for your high horse like the Lone Ranger and it will come to your rescue and all will be fine.

Streuth!!

Christ! What an imbecile you are!:dabone

As I said, "IN EXTREMIS". Listen I live here, I was born here, In fact, I was born up there and I used to own off roaders (cars and bikes) and ply the windfarm tracks and forest tracks. Do not apply British law to Spain. People die on mountains and you can be fogged out for days and die of exposure. If a farmer wants to remonstrate with me because I cut a lock, then I will happily explain the situation to them and re-imburse them if necessary. But, Wapping, people should die if they are stupid, right? Because you've never made a mistake or got yourself into trouble before. I suppose you'd fall on your sword, would you? I suppose you are the kind of person who smiles at the stupidity of dead walkers and climbers; because it's their own stupid fault, right?

Do you offroad? have you ever been up anything taller than a mound of sand? You don't have any mountains in the UK as tall as most in the Pyrennees and Picos and even if you did you wouldn't even be allowed up them on a bike. Have you ever been injured up a remote hillside or mountain with the fog rolling in? I haven't either but a fellow rider has and we needed to get back down fast and with his ankle we couldn't return the way we came. We didn't have to cut a fence, either, but I remember thinking that if we'd had to, I don't know if my leatherman pliers would have managed it.

So you're up there, and you fall, your ankle is broken or you have a deep cut. Your choices are: five miles of downhill loose and rocky (those mountains are made of granite mostly BTW and the rocks are very sharp) stones or cut a fence or break a lock and go for a mile to the nearest road on your satnav. What are you gonna do, Wapping? Leave your mate, tell your mates to leave you there? Perhaps you'll whistle for your high horse like the Lone Ranger and it will come to your rescue and all will be fine.

Streuth!!

Christ! What an imbecile you are!:dabone

In extremis is what 112 is there for. If an injury is that bad then it's a helicopter job and the professionals as I wouldn't trust the risk of a spinal injury to any well meaning amateur. If it's not that bad then it's not in extremis, simple really.

Britain has plenty of very dangerous mountains, Snowdonia in Wales, the Lake District, just about anywhere in Scotland and not forgetting nice sunny Devon, i.e. Dartmoor, in the 'soft' south of England to name just a few, which are worse given that the climate is much more unstable even than along the Cordillera cantábrica, and plenty of mountaineers, walkers, etc. get killed every year, a high proportion down to their own lack of planning, preparation, etc. In the case of Spain, where mobile phone coverage can be patchy, so 112 won't work, you have either Aplify, which was specifically developed for exactly this reason, or SPOT rescue system and its copies.

And it's "strewth" actually. :)

Regs

Simon

Yeah, like the three amigos who went up to "El Angliru" (5 actually but 2 decided to walk down to get help) in Asturias this winter in a 4x4, called 112 and were told that rescue was not forthcoming. Google it and translate.They were stupid. They then decided to put the phone conversation with the rescue servics on FB only to be ridiculed themselves. They were told in no uncertain terms that they either walked or stayed where they were until the weather cleared but that no-one was coming to get them. One of them was in trainers and a shirt. Yeah, stupid but also beware relying on technology to get you out of a sticky situation.

You will not get the emergency services out if you are "lost". Fair enough, you shouldn't be lost, but hey, guess what? people get lost in unfamiliar environments. You may get them out depending on the injury sustained but as anyone who has gone off the beaten track will tell you, it is foolish to rely on technology to get you out of scrapes.

You can't take motorbikes up Snowdonia.

You do whatever you want to. Personally I'd take at the very least something that can cut through a wire.

Christ! Who's talking about spinal injuries?

None of which featured in your post #22 which was:

Remember, there will be one or two cowgates which will be closed/locked. In extremis I'd take (at the very least) wire cutters in case you get caught out late at night on a foggy hillside. Your life is worth more than a few cows, sheep or horses. Bolt cutters, however, would be preferable in case you need to break the weak padlocks which is preferable to breaching wire fences.

Enjoy your day.

Yeah, like the three amigos who went up to "El Angliru" (5 actually but 2 decided to walk down to get help) in Asturias this winter in a 4x4, called 112 and were told that rescue was not forthcoming. Google it and translate.They were stupid. They then decided to put the phone conversation with the rescue servics on FB only to be ridiculed themselves. They were told in no uncertain terms that they either walked or stayed where they were until the weather cleared but that no-one was coming to get them. One of them was in trainers and a shirt. Yeah, stupid but also beware relying on technology to get you out of a sticky situation.

You will not get the emergency services out if you are "lost". Fair enough, you shouldn't be lost, but hey, guess what? people get lost in unfamiliar environments. You may get them out depending on the injury sustained but as anyone who has gone off the beaten track will tell you, it is foolish to rely on technology to get you out of scrapes.

Dammit! I was puckering up for a good off-topic arguments but now I agree with you! :)

Regs

Simon

Back
Top Bottom