Have we got the best bikes??

Chalky723

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just browsing through "GS For Sale" Section & notice that the vast majority of bikes on there are the big 'uns.

Does that mean that our bikes are keepers or is it just that statistically there are fewer of them?

Love mine to bits & see no need for a larger one personally......

D

Far fewer of them.

The best bike is the best bike for you. So not a surprise that you have the best bike. Just like I have the best bike. My mate Ernie has the best bike. Ernie's wife doesn't ride anymore, so she doesn't have the best bike.

Actually Donald Trump has the best bike. The very best. It's incredible.

Simples - YES :D

Autotrader for sale figures:

F8GS (Std & ADV) 60

1200GS (Std & ADV) 337

So the numbers also help explain the diference in numbers for sale on this site.

Both mine and my sons are on gumtree at the moment - he's got himslef a Std 1200. Which ever of the F8GS's leave the garage first, I keep the one thats left behind :D

SteveT

:cool:

There were around 2000 x 1200s registered in 2018. Less than 400 x 800s....so 5 plus x as many....hence the 5 x as many for sale 2nd hand I suppose. Simples

Doesn't work quite like that though - this is far better than my old bike (past few) and not just because it's the current one.....

D

Are you sure? How at the time did you know you didn't have the best bike before you tried your new best bike?

Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: agree with Roberto. It’s the best bike for you. I once read that a bike had to pass the ‘garage test’. Which is - when you go in the garage for anything not bike related and see your bike does it make you want to go for a ride? If the answer is No then it doesn’t matter what the bike is, it’s the wrong one for you.

Far fewer of them.

The best bike is the best bike for you. So not a surprise that you have the best bike. Just like I have the best bike. My mate Ernie has the best bike. Ernie's wife doesn't ride anymore, so she doesn't have the best bike.

Actually Donald Trump has the best bike. The very best. It's incredible.

You don’t have the best bike, I do :D

You also have to take into account that a lot of 1200 owners change theirs regularly, like some folk change their cars every few years, to have the latest model.

The bike I have owned the longest is an 800 GS. An R80G/S to be precise. I love my bike. I'd never part with it, but at the moment it's not my best bike. That would be my latest Mikeyboy creation.

However, ultimately and sensibly, Roberto is correct. Your best bike is 'your' best bike. Does it really matter what anyone else thinks?

I have always liked the new 800s though. One day..... :thumby:

Are you sure? How at the time did you know you didn't have the best bike before you tried your new best bike?

Because I was growing to hate the old one, too heavy, not fun to ride anymore.

Getting knocked off of it & written off was the best thing that happened to me!! :D

D

When I had a 1200 (and 1150 before that) it was my main bike or only bike so I was thinking about changing every couple of years.

My 700GS is not my main bike and is s big of a workhorse - commuting to office and/or Croydon, bit of fun riding at weekends, but my K1600 is my ‘main’ bike. All the time my 700 keeps going what I need of it and isn’t costing me money, I’ll stick with it.

That said, the 700 is a fine bike and just gets on with what it does with no fuss. And it still manages to be great fun.

Back
Top Bottom