Sluggish starting? My findings

Bungy

Reaction score
I have read a few threads on here about batteries and poor starting and had the same kind of symptoms myself. I was convinced it was the battery and decided to replace the OEM battery and spacer with a Motobatt replacement that needed the spacer removed. After fitting the same sluggish turnover was evident and so my attention turned to the starting motor. It was stripped, cleaned and a new brush pack fitted. I think more importantly was the cleaning of all copper contacts as they were quite dark and there was plenty of life left on the old brushes.
The new brush pack come assembled with a 30mm plastic cylinder that keeps everything in place and makes for an easy fitment.
After the starting motor clean it now spins up nice and quick and sounds/feels a lot more lively.
This could be a combination of both battery and starter but I feel the starter clean was the more beneficial in this case.

There are two types of brush pack,

One for a Valeo starter - one for a Bosch

The Valeo i got from a company in Poland i believe - it was around £30 if i recall

Do a search for one of my numerous poor starting threads ;)

Some starters go sluggish regardless of the brushes. If the old ones are not totally shot and cleaning them improves the performance then go for new ones. If the performance remains much the same, you may well find that new brushes don't help.

With some starters the problem lies with the bushes that support the armature, when the bushes wear the armature cocks sideways under load which results in the slow turning and rapid draining of the battery. Replacement bushes used to be available for Bosch starters. Probably the same for Valeos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine was finally killed by too many start attempts when I had fuel pump problems. A good starter would have coped. Mine was already weak. I got a service exchange jobbie and all was fine again.

Back
Top Bottom