MOROCCO BOUND......lock up ya camels...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camel Toe

Reaction score
Enough of the “beast from the east...”....time for fun in the sun..
After chomping at the bit for a few months wanting to be out on a two wheel adventure we are due to leave the UK on the 7/3.....having been snowed in until today I’m hoping this big lump of German engineering will slip n slide across the snow n ice to the M1......the plan is to stay overnight in or around Portsmouth on tuesday and hop on the ferry to Bilbao on Wednesday ...unless the fekkin sea has frozen over....a few drinks then onto the bunk before the Big Dipper starts..and lasts for several hours....
Hop off in Bilbao just after lunch and a quick run to Salamanca where we bunk down for the evening after a wander around this lovely Spanish city....
The dilemma as always at this time of year is what to wear.....as we are two up the weight has to be little as poss....having done this trip many times I find the best thing is to wear my airflow gear ..... yep...airflow in minus a squillion degrees...😳🤔...I put plenty of layers on and the heated jacket topped of with my klim waterproofs which keeps the wind chill off......last time I decided to leave the heated jacket and winter gloves at home.....holy shit....what a mistake....as me and two others climbed up out of Santander it got colder n much colder till it was bollock numbing cold.....after a couple of hours it warmed slowly.....I got so cold I couldn’t even get my hand in my pocket to buy beers at the end of the day..😂😂.... The only alternative is to wear winter gear and open all the vents once in the Moroccan heat...trust me..that is tooooooo warm..
I usually do this run on tkc70’s on my gsa LC...this time I’m leaving my wet tyres on.. PR4’s..I find the tkc brilliant tyres for this trip but the hard central band with no tread makes them slippery in wet, especially Moroccan wet mixed with dusty sand....
After Salamanca it’s up n off to Algeciras for the night then an early ferry to Tanger Med which sails at sometime o’clock...African time..🤣...
Once in T Med we deal with the usual customs bollocks ...last hope Mr Important at customs has only got 46 fags to smoke or it could be a slow job.....out of customs and part with a few quid for 10 day insurance with as much value as last nights fish n chip paper.....then off to see Mr Robin Bastard and part with a few quid to buy 18000000 dirams....... ride out of the port and peel back your eyes if you haven’t been before as the Moroccan police try to relieve you of 10000000 of your dirams if you dare hit 3rd gear...... it’s not that bad really but keep your eyes open n speed down as they know ya pockets are full when you arrive..
This time we are heading through Tetouan and onto the eastern coast road which is a beautiful ride to start with....1st night stay at Al-Hoceima...£40 for two in a decent hotel..... more to come after blast off.....
Map is a rough idea of where we are heading but may do more in Atlas Mountains pending on snow...... lock up ya camels....

Attachments

• B45C7604-30BB-453A-874A-5A6FEDFC153E.jpg
    B45C7604-30BB-453A-874A-5A6FEDFC153E.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 712
Don't forget to keep us posted & piccies please..
Travel safely..

:thumb

We are there in April, so keep us posted!

Just been ‘sorting out’ my kit and been told it’s nice and sweaty in the day, but chilly at night, so got shorts, tee shirts, long johns and fleece :D

We are there in April, so keep us posted!

Just been ‘sorting out’ my kit and been told it’s nice and sweaty in the day, but chilly at night, so got shorts, tee shirts, long johns and fleece :D
no need for long j’s in April.....bollocks will be poached....unless ya camping in high Atlas...

Hi

Been there last year and the year before. Really nice people 100% of them from the down and outs in shady looking bars to others we met they were all ace. We stopped at one road side cafe and we were sitting outside having a coffee and a piece of cake. Guy drives up in a really old Mercedes car and starts talking to us in French, fortunately the friend that tours with me can speak French. This guy then said farewell and drove off. My mate went inside the cafe to pay for what we had and the cafe owner said that the old guy in the Mercedes had paid for ours.

Another time we were in Fez and had difficulty finding the hotel. We asked a kid on a moped. He said follow me I will show you. It was quite a distance. He stopped and pointed at the hotel. We went to give him a few euros as a tip. He said no he did not do it for money.

Another time we stopped outside a bank to change some money into local currency and we were soon surrounded by young teenagers admiring our bikes. Before long they were enjoying a lift up and down the road on the pillion we did not realize the go pro was still running and the expressions on these kids faces was out of this world.

On my last trip I had an accident coming off my bike. A passing van driver took me to the nearest hospital as I needed hospital treatment ASAP. As the hospital the Doctor stitched me up and I got my wallet out to pay him. He said "no trust in god". Going to Morocco should change anyone's view of Muslims yes some are arse holes but certainly not the ones I have met.

Derek

Hi

Been there last year and the year before. Really nice people 100% of them from the down and outs in shady looking bars to others we met they were all ace. We stopped at one road side cafe and we were sitting outside having a coffee and a piece of cake. Guy drives up in a really old Mercedes car and starts talking to us in French, fortunately the friend that tours with me can speak French. This guy then said farewell and drove off. My mate went inside the cafe to pay for what we had and the cafe owner said that the old guy in the Mercedes had paid for ours.

Another time we were in Fez and had difficulty finding the hotel. We asked a kid on a moped. He said follow me I will show you. It was quite a distance. He stopped and pointed at the hotel. We went to give him a few euros as a tip. He said no he did not do it for money.

Another time we stopped outside a bank to change some money into local currency and we were soon surrounded by young teenagers admiring our bikes. Before long they were enjoying a lift up and down the road on the pillion we did not realize the go pro was still running and the expressions on these kids faces was out of this world.

On my last trip I had an accident coming off my bike. A passing van driver took me to the nearest hospital as I needed hospital treatment ASAP. As the hospital the Doctor switched me up and I got my wallet out to pay him. He said "no trust in god". Going to Morocco should change anyone's view of Muslims yes some are arse holes but certainly not the ones I have met.

Derek
100% agree with that Derek.....been many times all over and nothing but good to say about the Moroccans....I know it’s been said many times but ..the less they have the more they give.....so true. Mate of mine stopped at a store to get supplies for his camping trip....came out and rode away only to notice an old Merc following him and flashing lights for him to stop...fek that he thought.....couple of miles later and several hand gestures he stopped at police check point......the guys in the car pulled along side and handed him his phone he left in the shop........ he offered cash and they refused.....says it all

I’m in

We are leaving Sheffield in 4 weeks - Morocco bound.
They have had record breaking snow, from what I have read, hopefully it will be melting as I type.
:beerjug:

I’m in

They have had record breaking snow, from what I have read, hopefully it will be melting as I type.
if you haven’t been before you will love it......further south you get the better it is.......and hotter....��

I’m in

bit chilly......

Attachments

• D7070E81-9A1F-4472-8857-EF375BFBF459.jpeg
    D7070E81-9A1F-4472-8857-EF375BFBF459.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 605
  • CE11AED6-4EAF-4336-9485-FCF6B25ED328.jpeg
    CE11AED6-4EAF-4336-9485-FCF6B25ED328.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 621
Weather in southern Spain is very wet, we've had 8"+ in the past two days, some roads have been washed away.

We really need it because the reservoirs are getting very low, our local one has benefitted from an increase by 7 million cubic meters of water, but it's still only at 25% capacity.

Weather forecast shows the rain going on for a couple of weeks which may impact on your trip.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/spain/malaga/ext

Enjoy!! :thumby:

Weather in southern Spain is very wet, we've had 8"+ in the past two days, some roads have been washed away.

We really need it because the reservoirs are getting very low, our local one has benefitted from an increase by 7 million cubic meters of water, but it's still only at 25% capacity.

Weather forecast shows the rain going on for a couple of weeks which may impact on your trip.

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/spain/malaga/ext

Enjoy!! :thumby:
thanks for info......aiming to hit motorway straight to Salamanca then Algeciras on 9th....sail to Morocco on 10th..... warweproofs ready....bring it on...arghhhh....

Went to Morocco last year for the first time, went late April with Skygod (Gary Pitchford) of this parish and some of his mates. Had a brilliant time, bumped into Tiffany Coates outside our hotel in Chefchouhan after our first night's stop. When trying to navigate my way through the windy streets of Chefchouhan I ended up in a street blocked by a market, 'er indoors got off while I paddled the bike round in the narrow confines, a street seller told me the way out to head for Fes and off I fucked - completely forgetting that Alena had not got back on the bike. Eight miles out of town I look over my shoulder and do a double take!! Managed to get back into town at the exact spot where we were last together and the street seller is still there pissing himself - but no Alena. He tells me the direction she went in and I go looking but no joy. I go back to the street seller and have a mint tea and through logical thinking I deduce she would have gone back to the hotel - and there she was happy as larry drinking tea in the lounge admiring the view over the mountains. All she said was "Michael, you silly boy!" I paid for it later on the trip when she dragged me into a jewellery shop! As has been said already, the people are great, friendly, welcoming and helpful and Alena never got hassled when exploring on her own.

Next time I go I would take some drugs such as paracetemol and ibuprofen to give away as we were asked for some by a Moroccan chap we were talking to at a hotel - apparently even basic drugs are very expensive.

Have a great trip.

Next time I go I would take some drugs such as paracetemol and ibuprofen to give away as we were asked for some by a Moroccan chap we were talking to at a hotel - apparently even basic drugs are very expensive.

Have a great trip.

Whilst OK to take a reasonable quantity for personal use, in their original packaging, I wouldn't recommend getting involved with any form of 'supply' in any foreign country. It's a nice gesture, but could have unforeseen consequences, including intimate searches. OK I accept you are no Laura Plummer; still it might give Alena a good laugh.

Went to Morocco last year for the first time, went late April with Skygod (Gary Pitchford) of this parish and some of his mates. Had a brilliant time, bumped into Tiffany Coates outside our hotel in Chefchouhan after our first night's stop. When trying to navigate my way through the windy streets of Chefchouhan I ended up in a street blocked by a market, 'er indoors got off while I paddled the bike round in the narrow confines, a street seller told me the way out to head for Fes and off I fucked - completely forgetting that Alena had not got back on the bike. Eight miles out of town I look over my shoulder and do a double take!! Managed to get back into town at the exact spot where we were last together and the street seller is still there pissing himself - but no Alena. He tells me the direction she went in and I go looking but no joy. I go back to the street seller and have a mint tea and through logical thinking I deduce she would have gone back to the hotel - and there she was happy as larry drinking tea in the lounge admiring the view over the mountains. All she said was "Michael, you silly boy!" I paid for it later on the trip when she dragged me into a jewellery shop! As has been said already, the people are great, friendly, welcoming and helpful and Alena never got hassled when exploring on her own.

Have a great trip.
hahaha....could av picked her up on the way back.....

Usually take pens, colouring books and sweets for the kids in the hills....trouble is, by the time I get to Morocco there’s only pens n books left....

Usually take pens, colouring books and sweets for the kids in the hills....trouble is, by the time I get to Morocco there’s only pens n books left....
Yep: These are the best investments you can make for a trip. Spend circa £20 here before you go, and you will have great entertainment value.
Meantime, here's something to look forward to:
The Dades Gorge.

Attachments

• Dades Gorge 1.jpg
    Dades Gorge 1.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 378
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom