STOP! Please step away from the drill

mikeyboy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Overland and classic,vale of belvoir,Melton Mowbra
Or,
how not to helicoil a stripped sump plug:blast
The pics don’t really show how much on the piss it was drilled,
But the 1st contact point of the sump plug left a gap of nearly 1 mm on this side

Attachments

• AE365145-8E1E-40CA-BE81-B4EE3063D3C9.jpg
    AE365145-8E1E-40CA-BE81-B4EE3063D3C9.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 1,458
  • 30CB381E-700F-4353-8294-EC1651ECC26C.jpg
    30CB381E-700F-4353-8294-EC1651ECC26C.jpg
    231.3 KB · Views: 1,438
It gets better:comfort

Attachments

• FD90991E-FF7B-43D6-9DD4-982F34618184.jpg
    FD90991E-FF7B-43D6-9DD4-982F34618184.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 1,417
  • 092EBDCC-0F5A-44F7-8DCF-9F0F095564F1.jpg
    092EBDCC-0F5A-44F7-8DCF-9F0F095564F1.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 1,434
  • FFC5F646-32DB-497A-8340-4AEBCA665781.jpg
    FFC5F646-32DB-497A-8340-4AEBCA665781.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 1,412
Looks like he's screwed one all the way in till it met the rib, then put another cos there's fuck all thread left in the big hole....I'd check for more hiding in there.

It’s only one insert,
M16. So a standard insert is 16mm long
IIRC standard is m14.
Though I’d love to know where the insertion tang went.:D
Total strip down so I know it’s not gone round the motor
I recon it was the ribbing that caused the drill to go so far on the piss.
It was always going to be virtually impossible to drill this straight.
You have nothing to use as a datum

Copper washers and PTFE tape overcomes most myopic drilling operations.

Copper washers and PTFE tape overcomes most myopic drilling operations.

Maybe so,
But the reason for it being with us is to sort it properly.
A fuck up followed by a bodge is not good.
The original damaged occurred whilst the owner was touring India ,a mid trip oil change resulted in a cross threaded plug( not by the owners hand ).
The resulting helicoil was a mate with more bravado than skill.
There was never going to be a proper repair possible in this scenario,the rib would have caused the drill to wander,added to the fact that it’s bloody hard to drill at this diameter with a hand held drill bit.
Now the od is at 16mm there is notalotametal to mess with.
So it wants doing proper

Maybe so,
The original damaged occurred whilst the owner was touring India ,a mid trip oil change resulted in a cross threaded plug( not by the owners hand ).
There was never going to be a proper repair possible in this scenario,the rib would have caused the drill to wander,added to the fact that it’s bloody hard to drill at this diameter with a hand held drill bit.
So it wants doing proper

I realise that, twas being banterous and making light of a task that may take you into insanity and old age.

Maybe so,
So it wants doing proper

Looks a difficult problem to resolve ( for me at any rate), so out of interest, what is the solution to sorting it properly?

Looks a difficult problem to resolve ( for me at any rate), so out of interest, what is the solution to sorting it properly?

Once it’s accurately set in a mill,bore the hole ,then turn an insert or top hat in a lathe,this could be alloy and welded in,,
Or rethread the hole and make it from steel, if he thinks there is enough metal.
I’ll post up more once our semi tame master machinest has had a looksee ,his shout from here on.

Maybe so,
So it wants doing proper

Is that a reflection of the rest of the bike; or was it a case of trying to do the best under the circumstances?

There but for the grace of God ...

... And a "Hmm ... Not feeling quite right? Bugger it! Er ... Lefty loosey... Um righty tighty ... Feck it take it out gently and do it again!" ...

Go I!

Cheaper to get a new/s/hand sump?.

Amazing Mikeyboy hasn't thought of that, I wonder why.. :D

Looked like a genuine question from davegs, repairing a sump, is still just a repair no matter how expertly done.

Time effort materials ? gotta put the cost up, get a semi decent complete engine for a couple of hundred.

Doubt you'd find a sump without having to buy a whole engine, and then you have the same situation really with possibly bodged threads/etc. Sounds like a pain in the arse either way :nenau

Back
Top Bottom