Buying an Africa Twin..

Padge

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've sold my 12 ADV and looking at buying an Africa Twin.
There seems to be a few around around the 8,500 range, for example:
http://www.castlemotorcycles.co.uk/...n/crf1000l/castleford/west-yorkshire/20009415

What do I need to look out for when buying?
Do the dealers sort out the spoke corrosion issues?
Is the fork wear (causing stiction) a real issue?
Any real difference between the 16 and 17 model year bikes (and how do I tell)?

Nothing really to look for and lots of low mileage bikes in dealers. If you get a bike like the one you’ve shown with only around 2000 miles for £8000 then that’s pretty good value bike I’d say.
As for spokes , it’s a storm in a d cup. If your bike ends up out of warranty and you want shiny stainless steel spokes it’s only about £250/300 for a pair of wheels to be re spoked . It’s a fine motorcycle that long term will be more reliable than most I expect.
Dct or manual ?

No difference between 16/17 really

A few nice extras are always good to have, I’d also look for one with a canter stand and crash bars .

Nothing really to look for and lots of low mileage bikes in dealers....
Dct or manual ? .

I'll get the Manual.
It's strange there are almost no private bikes for sale. As you say, all are low milage dealer bikes. Maybe trying to shift old stock before the updated versions arrive?

Do dealers offer extended manufacturer warranty (like BMW do)?

I'll get the Manual.
It's strange there are almost no private bikes for sale. As you say, all are low milage dealer bikes. Maybe trying to shift old stock before the updated versions arrive?

Do dealers offer extended manufacturer warranty (like BMW do)?

I think you can only buy an extra year when new. That’s the last thing I’d be worried about. Your buying a Honda not a Bmw so you can forget about needing extra warranty. That’s the joy, you know it will be getting you home :cool:

Less of an adventure but all the better for it .

There is only very rarely private bikes for sale but you can ring around dealers and get a good deal I’m sure :thumb2

Not many reports out there of known vices of the AT - have a spin through the AT section of forum and if they don’t contribute to this thread, contact the likes of Warlord, Davy F, LBL to name a few who have had AT’s for a while.
Have a look through the Farkles thread and you’ll get a good idea of what people regard as essential and nice to have mods. A better screen , heated grips and a centre stand were at the top of my list, or to build in to your budgeting- obviously depends what you will mostly want to use it for...tbh the biggest decision I didn’t expect to have was whether to go manual or DCT - got to say having been sceptical (or maybe just resistant to change like many bikers) I found the DCT a real plus point. Make sure you test ride both if you haven’t already. Check out Missenden Flyers test ride of the DCT (I will now be blacklisted by several forum members for daring to mention his name - probably doesn’t swear enough and is too middle class for some tastes).

What’s your budget and finance method? There’s still some new 2017 models knocking about at discounted prices and low rate (some zero percent) pcps. Colour options a little restrictive - The dealer at Bury (not too far from you) has a new one in, in red on a great pcp deal. Blade in Stratford on Avon have their ex demo manual tri colour in at £8995 which was registered in May 17 I think and has under £3k miles on which will give you a years warranty left. Nice bike - and the test ride bike that pursuaded me to go AT rather than back to GS.

Happy hunting.

I took a Tri-colour DCT in March 2016 and have now done 8,000 miles without a hitch except the spoke corrosion but as already said it’s not really corrosion more discolouration of the spokes that if you couldn’t live with could be easily fixed out of warranty.

I spoke to Honda GB about the corrosion as mine is coming out of warranty and they said that they wouldn’t walk away from a known issue out of warranty, I guess the proof will be when and if I ask them for help but it was an easy discussion.

Mine is superb and puts a smile on my face every time I ride it.

Dealers have had a bulletin from Honda HQ, they are aware there's still a problem with double dip, in the event you have this issue with corrosion they will be fitting stainless in the foreseeable future.

I don't think the fork issue is as big a problem as is made out and from what I gather is more associated with lots of off road and higher miles. It has been mentioned that the 2016 model seems worse than the 2017...so maybe Honda altered their anodising ?
Spoke issue is a non issue for me. I'll raise it when it gets serviced at the 1 yr mark IF it is surfacing as a problem. As my bike is on a 3 yr 0% PCP, I will be handing it back anyway and replacing it withe ATAS and as stated above, it is pretty much cosmetic and when it gets too bad to look at...spend £300 getting stainless fitted.
I wouldn't dismiss DCT until you've given one a really good ride. I never thought I'd own an auto bike but like most with them, I love it.
Castle Motorcycles are a great company. I bought a VFR from them 20 years ago, mates have bought from then over the years. Always the same story. Good honest small dealership. I wouldn't hesitate buying from them again and with a couple of hundred quid off, down to nearer £8k that AT will be a great buy. Just run in, bit of Honda warranty left etc.
I would be ringing round and seeing if anyone can match or nearly match the deal that John Banks did in September (£9k but 0 deposit and £75 a month interest free for 3 years...then hand it back or buy it...total cost...£9k!)
All the best in your search

Have you got sorted with a AT ?
If not, a chap on the AT forum is selling his black, 67 plate 790 mile AT DCT...for £8500.
Bargain

I purchased a 2016 DCT model with full adventure package and 10K miles last year its a fine bike to ride. After putting it in for a service last month the Honda engineer suggested a few replacement parts under warranty for which they do have a list they can check against. Mines getting left hand controller as the set button can suffer from swelling failing to operate correctly and new rims as they are showing signs of metallurgical issues on the spokes.

I don't think the fork issue is as big a problem as is made out and from what I gather is more associated with lots of off road and higher miles. It has been mentioned that the 2016 model seems worse than the 2017...so maybe Honda altered their anodising ?
Spoke issue is a non issue for me. I'll raise it when it gets serviced at the 1 yr mark IF it is surfacing as a problem. As my bike is on a 3 yr 0% PCP, I will be handing it back anyway and replacing it withe ATAS and as stated above, it is pretty much cosmetic and when it gets too bad to look at...spend £300 getting stainless fitted.
I wouldn't dismiss DCT until you've given one a really good ride. I never thought I'd own an auto bike but like most with them, I love it.
Castle Motorcycles are a great company. I bought a VFR from them 20 years ago, mates have bought from then over the years. Always the same story. Good honest small dealership. I wouldn't hesitate buying from them again and with a couple of hundred quid off, down to nearer £8k that AT will be a great buy. Just run in, bit of Honda warranty left etc.
I would be ringing round and seeing if anyone can match or nearly match the deal that John Banks did in September (£9k but 0 deposit and £75 a month interest free for 3 years...then hand it back or buy it...total cost...£9k!)
All the best in your search

Incredible deal really. I’m glad lots of people managed to get it and try them out.

I got my bike in October 2017. I can definitely feel stiction in the front forks and will be getting the dealer to look at it, when it goes in for a service in the next month or so. The spokes on all bikes are corroded, Honda have been replacing them, but of course the corrode again. They are now changing the spokes to a different material or finish (not sure which) and these will not corrode, so when you make a warranty claim and the spokes get changed, that will be the end of it.

That bike with 2k miles looks a good deal

Just a tip regarding the front suspension I recieved after attending Honda Adventure the other week.It appears the AT comes with the adjuster wound fully out and not even connected to the cone hence its ultra soft.The suggestion was to wind the top hex adjuster all the way in then three full turns out and the bottom adjuster three clicks in and work from there in small increments.

I had my bike set up by a qualified suspension guy specifically for road use and was in France last weekend on some twisty roads and it handled great, I was surprised by its overall handling. I’m back over in a few weeks and going on my GSA so can compare.

BTW on the small twisties I found using the manual buttons on the dct the way to go to get the perfect gear for each corner, normal riding just leaving it in dct and using the occasional paddle tweak was fine.

Ive just got a trade in price on mine from Dobles against the Adv Sport
mine is a 2017 67 plate tri colour 3000 miles no luggage cntr stand, heated grips, batzen screen adjuster, honda crash bars, fender extender,fat foot pegs, R+G tank protectors, LED Fog lights
offer was £8850 which i thought was very fair
if i decide to go for it he can have the Adv Sport ready for saturday fittet with cntr stand @£130 and quickshifter @£600 they will also rekey my panniers and top box to the new bikes keys

Ive just got a trade in price on mine from Dobles against the Adv Sport
mine is a 2017 67 plate tri colour 3000 miles no luggage cntr stand, heated grips, batzen screen adjuster, honda crash bars, fender extender,fat foot pegs, R+G tank protectors, LED Fog lights
offer was £8850 which i thought was very fair
if i decide to go for it he can have the Adv Sport ready for saturday fittet with cntr stand @£130 and quickshifter @£600 they will also rekey my panniers and top box to the new bikes keys

Very fair indeed. £150 for a years motoring on a new bike. That’s not going to happen very often.

Are you getting it then. With your track record I’m guessing it’s a yes :aidan

Is that a DCT rob or manual with quickshifter? decent px price considering i paid 9k for mine.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Very fair indeed. £150 for a years motoring on a new bike. That’s not going to happen very often.

Are you getting it then. With your track record I’m guessing it’s a yes :aidan

Not sure to be honest, ive just done a 1500 mile trip on mine and to be honest apart from the seat (after a good while) I couldnt fault it, it did everything I asked of it with no complaints, I hated the ADV Sport paint when I first saw it but its grown on me, the dash is better with miles to empty now
Ill sleep on it overnight and see how i feel in the morning lol

Not sure to be honest, ive just done a 1500 mile trip on mine and to be honest apart from the seat (after a good while) I couldnt fault it, it did everything I asked of it with no complaints, I hated the ADV Sport paint when I first saw it but its grown on me, the dash is better with miles to empty now
Ill sleep on it overnight and see how i feel in the morning lol

Get the DCT !!! The autoblipper is bloody fantastic

Back
Top Bottom