Nav V and map storage

Peter

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Whilst trying to master Basecamp (!) using my BMW Nav 5 plugged into my laptop, I noticed that the maps are stored in the internal memory of the device AND in the SD card, ie two copies in the same device. Is this normal? If not, what have I done. I do regularly update the Garmin.

Hi Peter.
In relation to the Nav V. I got it from one of the fellows from here last year but have not updated it at all. If I do update it will I lose any of the maps I currently have, ie South France?
Thanks
Gary

The maps should update ok Gary, I have never had an issue. However when you open Garmin Express, I’m Sure there is an option to make a backup copy of what is currently installed. There was a few reported issues last year, where some French areas were not installed properly, but that seems to have been fixed in the latest update.

Mark

Whilst trying to master Basecamp (!) using my BMW Nav 5 plugged into my laptop, I noticed that the maps are stored in the internal memory of the device AND in the SD card, ie two copies in the same device. Is this normal? If not, what have I done. I do regularly update the Garmin.

Mine is the same. Never had an issue.

Mark

The maps should update ok Gary, I have never had an issue. However when you open Garmin Express, I’m Sure there is an option to make a backup copy of what is currently installed. There was a few reported issues last year, where some French areas were not installed properly, but that seems to have been fixed in the latest update.

Mark
Thanks Victor

Hi Traffic I am afraid I do not know the answer to your question re losing your French maps. Victor do I presume that when you refer to a back up, this back up is stored on the SD card and not on to my computer as I thought?

Bit of a resurrected thread post this.

I have just acquired a nav5 (used) there was no sd card in it but I have correctly formatted a 16gb card and put it in the unit.

I see mention of the maps being in both the internal memory and the sd card. My unit has the maps in its internal memory and that is approaching full. Should I to have maps on my sd card ?

If yes how do I get them there.

Bit of a resurrected thread post this.

I have just acquired a nav5 (used) there was no sd card in it but I have correctly formatted a 16gb card and put it in the unit.

I see mention of the maps being in both the internal memory and the sd card. My unit has the maps in its internal memory and that is approaching full. Should I to have maps on my sd card ?

If yes how do I get them there.

Nav unit just uses the sd card as an overflow automatically is my believing.

That I can understand. But why should a device hold 2 copies of the same map.

I have watching tutorials and see that your planned routes, gpx files are sent to the sd card. That make sense as there is little room in the memory.

I would assume Garmin have put just enough internal memory in to keep the maps.

Theres plenty videos to help I feel a long night ahead.

In comparison my Tomtom is pretty easy to master.

I have watching tutorials and see that your planned routes, gpx files are sent to the sd card. That make sense as there is little room in the memory.

Surely Wapping will jump in later he knows a lot more about the GPS devices.

My advice? If it works, don’t worry about whether the maps are on the device, on the card, spread between the two or beamed in by magic. Concentrate on using the thing; once mastered it will be your friend for life.

My advice? If it works, don’t worry about whether the maps are on the device, on the card, spread between the two or beamed in by magic. Concentrate on using the thing; once mastered it will be your friend for life.

Wapping is simply correct in his saying, below is from another forum, but is just confirming what we know.

Garmin Express will not report any information on the additional micro SD memory card. The firmware will use up the internal 8GB of memory and then access the user inserted micro SD card. The additional memory in the added micro SD card will be utilized when map updates exceed the storage of the internal 8GB along with music you might add for listening when riding. These cards are becoming so cheap, its worth it to put in a 64GB card and forget its there. I'm still working my way through all of the advanced planning capabilities and saving routes for future use and to share with others. The Nav V is a great tool that is well integrated with this bike.

Thank you Wapping and Smogbob.

I do prefer a bit of self tuition and there are plenty videos to assist me on the way. The sd card info makes sense.

The best way, at least in my experience, to master BaseCamp is..... to buy a Mac.

All joking apart, the best way is to design a route, then use it and the Nav V together. You’ll learn much faster and it’s more fun than sitting at a computer screen. It’s really not the monster some people think it is. Once learnt, you’ll wonder what all the fuss was about and it’s really not so very different to Mapsource, which I used for years.

Back
Top Bottom