I see Skye all,it's cracked up to be?

Wonkey donkey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So back to Scotlands West Coast again this year after going last year as well. I have done a route for Skye, having missed it last year, but when I go to street view on Google maps and look at the scenery it doesn't blow me away like I expected.

I have read many threads saying it's wonderful and I should include it but wondered if others on here agreed it good. Get the ferry from Mallaig to Armadale then make our way to Portree, A87 to Uig and follow Coast around clockwise until we eventually get back to Portree. From there to Kyle of Lochalsh and back to Fort Augustus.

Thanks

Last edited:
I think Skye is beautiful, if you get the right weather.

I've never considered excising part of a trip because it doesn't look exciting on the computer. It seems you do - and don't think it looks pretty - so I'd give it a miss...

Is Skye all it’s cracked up to be ?

Yes (imho) Leave the bike, adjacent to the water at the stunning campsite at Dunvegan. Eat fresh fish and drink great wines at the Old School House.
The following day, clear the hangover; Walk the Cuillin ridge with a local to show you the way. Truly mind blowing imho ...

One drawback is the accommodation sells out and the police will be "on guard" on the bridge, to warn you of this!

Perhaps take a tent? (99% of the accommodation is shite and overpriced anyway ! )

It's beautiful in any weather, but more enjoyable when the sun shines.

When the lovely Mrs Saint asked me where I wanted to spend my 60th birthday last year, I didn't hesitate. It had to be Skye. We meandered up there, spent a few days then meandered back. A 4 week trip with several days off the bike, several other islands as well as the wonderful Glencoe, the road to the isles and Bealach na Ba, but the highlight was Skye. The Quiraing, Talisker, the Fairy Pools, the Fairy Glen, Talisker, mountains, waterfalls, seafood, did I mention Talisker. Brilliant. I can't wait to go back.

It’s fooking awful, avoid at all costs. Full of tourists in the summer so you can’t enjoy the roads or gawp at the scenery as your going along for fear of one doing an emergency stop to take a pic. In fact it was that busy it was closed last summer on several occasions.

On a serious note if you intend going over via mallaig then I would strongl6 suggest booking the ferry or you won’t get on. On the other hand the Glenelg ferry is well worth doing.

I think Skye is beautiful, if you get the right weather.

I've never considered excising part of a trip because it doesn't look exciting on the computer. It seems you do - and don't think it looks pretty - so I'd give it a miss...

Did I say it doesn't look exciting?
Did I say I don't think it looks pretty?

Nope and erm Nope.

When I plan a trip I find it useful to look at google, especially if there are two roads going a similar way, it helps me decide. It looks pretty enough but I was asking a question of what I am missing as the photos do not agree with some of the stuff I have read.

Anyway thanks for your help.

It's beautiful in any weather, but more enjoyable when the sun shines.

When the lovely Mrs Saint asked me where I wanted to spend my 60th birthday last year, I didn't hesitate. It had to be Skye. We meandered up there, spent a few days then meandered back. A 4 week trip with several days off the bike, several other islands as well as the wonderful Glencoe, the road to the isles and Bealach na Ba, but the highlight was Skye. The Quiraing, Talisker, the Fairy Pools, the Fairy Glen, Talisker, mountains, waterfalls, seafood, did I mention Talisker. Brilliant. I can't wait to go back.

And that was what I was after mate thank you. Glen Coe and Bealach na Ba blew me away last year so you saying that Skye was your highlight is good enough for me when comparing against those two. Appreciate your help fella.

It’s fooking awful, avoid at all costs. Full of tourists in the summer so you can’t enjoy the roads or gawp at the scenery as your going along for fear of one doing an emergency stop to take a pic. In fact it was that busy it was closed last summer on several occasions.

On a serious note if you intend going over via mallaig then I would strongl6 suggest booking the ferry or you won’t get on. On the other hand the Glenelg ferry is well worth doing.

Booked the ferry last week actually but at under £8 if the feedback on here was poor would have binned it.

Thanks Charles definitely going now you and two other respondents have given some useful info, appreciate your input.

Skye is best sampled when it’s still cold and there’s a chance of a bit of snow on the Cuillins because it makes it look better (in my opinion) and the midges are noticeably absent.

I like Skye but in summer the tin tent dwellers and the midges reduce the magic.

When it's cold is good...

i-w4hHpgm-L.jpg

Also - no fecking West Highland midges...

Ah,

Dunvegan camp site.
Stayed there for a year in a tin box when I was working at Dunvegan

Others may argue, but I always found around May or late Aug to be the best, but honestly, you have to take your chances.
It is a little big island, seen four seasons in one day regularly.
My top spot would be either Neist Point or the Quirang, both different in their own way.

Whatever your choice, don't forget Skye tourist season has boomed out of all proportion last year, think there were a few films made on the Quirang, so best book in advance.

Good luck.

It’s on fire at the moment. Wild fires have been burning for past few days.

Well worth a couple of days of your time :thumb

I particularly liked the run out to Elgol & a nice cafe overlooking the, fairly quiet, harbour

Back
Top Bottom