R80g/s brakes advice wanted

I have the softest BMW springs in the G/S 36mm forks, with around 20 mm preload, and 5wt Maxima Synth suspension Fluid with around 30 mm less air gap than stock.
And of course a tubular lower brace and billet top triple. With Metz 3s at 31 psi
I have dialed in the extra soft custom Ohlins at the rear to suit, and have ended up with the Ohlins magic carpet ride both ends.
And a rider sag that has people running after me to tell me it is wrong!
Only tried Hyperpro springs once, on a VFR and they were so stiff the bike was almost unridable on the bumpy spray seal roads around here, and FWIW if you need 15 wt oil in G/S forks something is far wrong!

in your opinion!

Lovely ride with Hyperpros, got them front and back as well as on my 1200, for me they're the best aftermarket by some way and they have 16mm piston rods so the seals last much longer.

Auk - if your springs have 16 mm rods they are going to be very stiff, or are you co fusing sprigs with rear shocks? Forks are at the front!
BMW/ Sachs forks were designed to work with thin oil, and will do so very well if you have the correct springs, front and rear.
Later Showa and Marzocchi forks are completely different, GS forks need less compression and more rebound damping , farting around with the oil goes a little of the way, having the internals worked by someone who knows what they are doing brings them up to contemporary standards, with 10 wt suspension fluid- oil was obsolete years ago!
Every bike in Moto GP has Ohlins back and front, when they start using Hyperpro you will know they are better.
And there is no such thing as a spring that is progressive to any meaningful degree - their only use to identify those who know less than they think they do about suspension!
Air is progressive, which is why Hagon advise reducing the air gap 30/50 mm with their"progressive" springs, but it is the air gap which gives the progression.

When we post we owe everybody a moral and legal duty of care, particularly when we are discussing safety issues like brakes and suspension.
It appears to me that perhaps you dont always exercise this duty, for whatever reason, and I think the rest of us are duty bound to point it out when you dont - there is nothing personal it my comments.

Auk - if your springs have 16 mm rods they are going to be very stiff, or are you co fusing sprigs with rear shocks? Forks are at the front!
BMW/ Sachs forks were designed to work with thin oil, and will do so very well if you have the correct springs, front and rear.
Later Showa and Marzocchi forks are completely different, GS forks need less compression and more rebound damping , farting around with the oil goes a little of the way, having the internals worked by someone who knows what they are doing brings them up to contemporary standards, with 10 wt suspension fluid- oil was obsolete years ago!
Every bike in Moto GP has Ohlins back and front, when they start using Hyperpro you will know they are better.
And there is no such thing as a spring that is progressive to any meaningful degree - their only use to identify those who know less than they think they do about suspension!
Air is progressive, which is why Hagon advise reducing the air gap 30/50 mm with their"progressive" springs, but it is the air gap which gives the progression.

When we post we owe everybody a moral and legal duty of care, particularly when we are discussing safety issues like brakes and suspension.
It appears to me that perhaps you dont always exercise this duty, for whatever reason, and I think the rest of us are duty bound to point it out when you dont - there is nothing personal it my comments.

Having gone down the "hyper pro progressive" spring route I would agree that they are hocum and confirmed that I know bugger all about suspension. It wasn't until I got some springs wound for my weight and to match the rear YSS shock (no more expensive than off the shelf stuff) with better valving by people who know what they are doing that I got something approaching a machine that rode well. £400 all in (inc fitting) sounds a little excessive however, transformed the ride and therefore enjoyment for me.

A small point, but not every bike in MotoGP uses Ohlins. As far as I know, none uses Hyperpro though :)

I've put Hyperpro springs in my g/s forks and noticed a massive difference off road to regular springs.

G/Ss have brakes? Mine seems to stop best when my size 12s have the softest compound soles, or it hits something, or I grab a passing branch!:D

The optional twin discs look cute tho, and presumably apply a more balanced load to the forks?

The optional twin discs look cute tho, and presumably apply a more balanced load to the forks?

The best way of adding unnecessary complication, unwelcome unsprung weight and virtually no appreciable increase in stopping power. And more effort at the lever.

Bigger disc is the way to go.

Bigger disc is the way to go.

Yup. I have the HE 320mm disk and their 4 pot caliper. 2 finger braking.
They no longer sell the 4 pot. They sell a Brembo unit instead... looks almost identical apart from the colour.

Back
Top Bottom