Romania

Bart Simpson

Reaction score
Hi Folks
New to things like this but here it goes. Would like some advice re hiring bike in Romania as just now have not got the time to ride down myself (however much I would prefer to!). Scoured the net but still a bit iffy about committing financially and arriving to pick up bike and be disappointed (old bike, badly maintained, arguments about extra charges, etc., etc.). All reviews on the various sites are 90%+positive but I am still a bit wary committing 1-2K if I have no comeback. Would appreciate your comments/advice. Thanks Heinz57: help:

They're not all out to get you, have a little faith in your fellow man ;)

What about shipping your own bike there & back ? It'll maximise your time out there & you're on a bike you know. A couple of years ago Aidan1150 & I shipped our bikes Dublin - Bucharest, flew in and then rode across Turkey to Georgia & Armenia. Great way of saving a few days 'commuting' either direction. We didn't spend long enough in Romania & Bulgaria and I plan to go back someday.
Ride report here

For shipping you could try here

Or here

But you are going to have to trust a stranger with your pride & joy :thumb

My thoughts, for what they're worth...

Firstly, well done for choosing Romania - you should have a great time.

You say you don't have time to ride here. Don't underestimate how long it takes to actually get here if you fly. I see you're in Stockport - as far as I know there are no direct flights from Manchester. Plus the fact that if you wan to hire a bike, it'll mean starting and finishing riding from Bucharest, and for a biker, there's nothing of interest around Bucharest. From Stockport, one looong day will get you most of the way here - well, it did me on what was my first serious overseas trip - RR here. And if I can do it, anyone can do it. In fact one very long day could get you all the way here, if you're made of stronger stuff than I am. OK, it's not the world's most interesting journey, but there are worse things in life.

If you do decide to hire a bike (and I've no experience of this) I suggest you approach it as you would if you were hiring one in, say, Germany. Just because it's Eastern Europe, don't fall into the trap of thinking everyone's a cowboy who's out to rip you off and steal your money. If the company has a good website and generally positive reviews, then give them a call.

If you end up anywhere near Timișoara give me a shout.

Back
Top Bottom