Calling all airhead rivet counters!

MarkShelley

Very similar to Paolo Maldini
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As far as I can make out, from looking at google image library, a 1976 R100S should have black side panels and a silver engine. This one has body coloured side panels and a black engine. Has it had an engine swap do you think? Is there a resource for checking engine numbers against model designations?

That's an airhead, what the feck would we know about them :D

engine definitely ain't right and looks like it's been painted because they were a natural finish and a pig to keep clean. They wouldn't have painted the barrels either.

Right ... From memory, the /7 series did not come in until late 76 or early 1977? So if the V5 says early 76, there's an issue right off?

Engine should be alloy finish with black valve covers and polished ribs. The colour looks right for /7 series though, same as my 79 R80/7. However ... R100S should be red with black side panels as you say. It may be a 100/7 masquerading as an S. Carbs and exhaust diameter should tell you which.

So not original but a nice enough looking bike.

Lots have sprayed engines to save time on cleaning them up properly. It will look like a dogs dinner in 6 months or so when the paint starts to come off. It will cost a small fortune to remove the paint completely and make it look something

its been sprayed fairly recently because the paints still on the rub points. My guessing is it’s been tarted up to make a quick killing from the unwary. Forks have been sprayed as well as the brake calipers. Front disks are bolloxed so breaking with the undertank master cylinder will be interesting.

The front mudguards on back to front so I’m guessing it’s not been done by anybody who knows airheads. All the important parts probably haven’t been done.

Proper 1000s is one of my favourite airheads. The heavy flywheel engine is so much better than the later one BUT they are more temperamental and you could catch a cold with it big time.

I have not seen one with a black engine. The side panels should be black as you say. The screen is a replacement. In my opinion it has been repainted. The lovely paintwork condition is not commensurate with other areas of the bike. Have a look how scabby it is around the handlebar area. The rims are not Wienmann, not sure if I have spelled that correctly.

Its been *ahem* "prepared for sale".

Personally, I would give it a miss.

I had years riding out with a pal who owned one of those - but his looked nothing like this one. I reckon it's a complete con -wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole.

They never, ever, ever had a black engine.

The brakes calipers have also been painted.

Feck knows what crashbars it has fitted.

Also, more worryingly, the front mudguard and steel fork brace are on back to front.... which points to someone putting it together who doesn't know much about bmw's

Apparently the numbers match on the bike and V5 and the number confirms it is an R100S at least!

It’s appeared on another site where it’s getting a real bashing. It was imported from Denmark at some point which apparently explains the date discrepancy

It’s appeared on another site where it’s getting a real bashing. It was imported from Denmark at some point which apparently explains the date discrepancy

Which date discrepancy?
By the way, my interest as a potential purchase is no longer. I have fulfilled my airhead needs!

Back
Top Bottom