Transferred routes different

Gordon Henderson

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
Hopefully someone cleverer than me can help out
I have been learning basecamp instead of my usual mapsourse
All was going well and I transferred five routes for I real and across to the unit and all transferred correctly
I then tried on on France and when transferred it is completely wrong a 12 mile test route in the lap top is 90 miles on the 660 and as you can see from the unit photo
I also tried it on a nav 5 and got the same results
Any thoughts why all of a sudden it is going wrong

Thanks

Attachments

• 822B159D-3C66-46E4-A54B-6FA11BFF4864.jpg
    822B159D-3C66-46E4-A54B-6FA11BFF4864.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 306
  • CD318BA3-4397-49C1-9118-C920ABD3373A.jpg
    CD318BA3-4397-49C1-9118-C920ABD3373A.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 330
  • 90D20FA0-576F-4D84-B6AD-870E2DD3957C.jpg
    90D20FA0-576F-4D84-B6AD-870E2DD3957C.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 360
  • F545AD52-12DE-4557-92E3-500C1875E201.jpg
    F545AD52-12DE-4557-92E3-500C1875E201.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 308
Same map version on Basecamp as the units?

Preferences set the same on Basecamp and the units?

Did you transfer the routes one by one or the list folder in one go? I’ve seen weird things happen with the latter method where you get a straightish route with spurs off it to all your waypoints. Tranferring routes one at a time can cure this.

Edit: this is exactly what yourvsecond pic shows.

Also: make sure that in the transfer options you have UNchecked the “strip shaping points on transfer” option.

Just a very silly possibility, have you checked your route preferences on the unit, some of the "avoid" preferences can cause havoc, ie "Avoid U turns", tolls, motorways, Fastest or shortest. etc.

the map on the unit does not show much detail, is that your settings?

John

Yup transferred one at a time all preferences the same on lap top and unit
Did 5 routes all worked fine then last one did this problem ,have tried switch off restart but now all routes i make have this problem
Don’t think i changed any preferences

Sometimes/most times if I am transferring any routes from anyone else's computer or even old Mapsorse into newer Basecamp I just open them in Basecamp then "follow/trace them" in a new route in basecamp. Meaning my old trails and routes in Mapsorse from 09/10 era get saved as a GPX route to desktop then opened in Basecamp - Also as another chap says if you try and do more than one route/trail at a time it all goes tits up. I even add more misery to my transferring as I include Openstreetmap into the equation.

When I zoom in on the unit the route is all straight lines

Attachments

• 7D983399-0970-4B85-B420-C6D9F1696B04.jpg
    7D983399-0970-4B85-B420-C6D9F1696B04.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 308
  • 51806C55-3F2C-4DBF-BE78-F4089EF65135.jpg
    51806C55-3F2C-4DBF-BE78-F4089EF65135.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 321
the map on the unit does not show much detail, is that your settings?

John

I think this might hold the answer.

It looks a lot like the base map, not the detailed map, which would explain the straight lines.

OP can you share one of your problematic route files with us, please. Host it on something like DropBox.

Have you got both North and South loaded, you need both, there was an issue where one was being missed, resulting in only having half the maps.

Have you got both North and South loaded, you need both, there was an issue where one was being missed, resulting in only having half the maps.

It was more complicated than that, I had small sections missing from my maps rather than the whole north or south being missing.

John

Wil update maps on unit and laptop also uninstall and re install base camp
Strange thing is i have had no problem till yesterday and have the same problem on both a 660 and an new nav v
With routes in uk and France
I will also do a route in mapsouce and see if it transferres any better if so the problem would be with basecamp

Make sure you have the settings the same on base amp as you do on the twat nav.

Wil update maps on unit and laptop also uninstall and re install base camp
Strange thing is i have had no problem till yesterday and have the same problem on both a 660 and an new nav v
With routes in uk and France
I will also do a route in mapsouce and see if it transferres any better if so the problem would be with basecamp

The map updates are different for a 660 and a Nav V but this whole thing about different maps is a red herring. In seven summers of transferring routes to all sorts of devices each and every day I only came across a handful of minor problems due to different versions of Garmin maps. Mostly the devices just cope with it and sort the route out. Settings are much more of an issue and as far as I can see, because of the inconsistencies built into the system ,it is almost impossible to have exactly the same settings on both computer and device. When transfering routes for our hotel guests ( I had about 60, all made by me) I found that if I set the device settings to match as closely as possible those I had used to create a route then there were very few problems. I soon learnt that if I set up each device before I downloaded routes there were very few problems.

I find using Mapsource easier anyway but there should be no reason why Basecamp should not do the job. I hope you get it sorted.

John

It was more complicated than that, I had small sections missing from my maps rather than the whole north or south being missing.

John

Not for me it wasn't and it wasn't for the vast majority of people who had the issue. The missing North and South thing was a big miss by Garmin

The map updates are different for a 660 and a Nav V but this whole thing about different maps is a red herring. In seven summers of transferring routes to all sorts of devices each and every day I only came across a handful of minor problems due to different versions of Garmin maps. Mostly the devices just cope with it and sort the route out. Settings are much more of an issue and as far as I can see, because of the inconsistencies built into the system ,it is almost impossible to have exactly the same settings on both computer and device. When transfering routes for our hotel guests ( I had about 60, all made by me) I found that if I set the device settings to match as closely as possible those I had used to create a route then there were very few problems. I soon learnt that if I set up each device before I downloaded routes there were very few problems.

I find using Mapsource easier anyway but there should be no reason why Basecamp should not do the job. I hope you get it sorted.

John

But if you look at the French route, it looks like it is using a base map, therefore maps may not be a red herring, if you do not have all the maps, the route will show on the base map for the country. It can't map a route to something that is not loaded.

Back
Top Bottom