Travel insurance.....

Deleted account 230523001

Reaction score
I have not bothered with it previously, but now I am getting older and the chances of me falling ill are greater, I decided to look for annual, multi trip insurance for travelling by motorhome and including riding a motorcycle of 400cc or greater.......Wasted a few hours today reading small print, basically anything over 250cc is difficult, but what is a no no, is no return ticket on the boat, so you cannot have an open ticket or travel one way each time.

The bastard small print fucks it all up......I fucking hate insurance, as they try and wriggle out of everything!

You have to fit some kind of profile, for it to be beneficial in the event of a claim.

This guy was very good when I went to Germany last year - Richard Would at Navigator Travel Insurance on 0161 9736435

Marks & Spencer or Post Office.

But - they are for UK residents only...........

(you could get a 5yr policy :D)

I have not bothered with it previously, but now I am getting older and the chances of me falling ill are greater, I decided to look for annual, multi trip insurance for travelling by motorhome

You could always try Saga......

You need Saga's backpacker or gap year insurance for old farts taking a sabbatical or career break

Or Snowcard

Try insurewithease - with their 'Category C' hazardous pursuits box ticked.

I have not bothered with it previously, but now I am getting older and the chances of me falling ill are greater, I decided to look for annual, multi trip insurance for travelling by motorhome and including riding a motorcycle of 400cc or greater.......Wasted a few hours today reading small print, basically anything over 250cc is difficult, but what is a no no, is no return ticket on the boat, so you cannot have an open ticket or travel one way each time.

The bastard small print fucks it all up......I fucking hate insurance, as they try and wriggle out of everything!

You have to fit some kind of profile, for it to be beneficial in the event of a claim.
Didn't know that:eek:

I routinely book tunnel day returns and ditch the return half.

Indeed, you have to routinely provide proof of returning to the UK, for the insurance to be valid....It is a conspiracy, I tell you:rob:D

Are you sure that is universally applied to all travel insurance? I have never seen that, and I have gone over policies carefully in the past.

Usually - there is only a limit to the number of days in each 'trip' and they rely upon you being a permanent resident in UK.

Are you sure that is universally applied to all travel insurance? I have never seen that, and I have gone over policies carefully in the past.

Usually - there is only a limit to the number of days in each 'trip' and they rely upon you being a permanent resident in UK.

Indeed......And to be a permanent resident in the UK, you have to have a return trip booked.

Indeed......And to be a permanent resident in the UK, you have to have a return trip booked.

Bloody hell! I had never seen this on my policy. (I wonder if it was, when I took out my first policy 7yrs ago??)

By “trip” we mean a journey that begins and ends in England, Scotland,
Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands or Isle of Man (“UK”), where the return journey to the UK has been booked before leaving home and the purpose of the journey is:

The return ticket proviso is reasonably standard.

The insurance is primarily designed for holidays (though some do include business travel) which in most normal people’s lives have a start and end date. It’s not aimed at, “I am buggering off and will stay away long enough to have a claim and then I’ll think about coming back to reap the rewards” merchants.

Yep, +1 for Richard at Navigator. I've had to use them as well. "Does what it says on the tin." :thumby:

Have mine through MAG. Can't remember off hand what it cost for the year but wasn't expensive..

I am pretty sure (could be very wrong ....) that if you are touring, then your Bike insurance covers you (you need to make sure you are covered fully comp abroad). The clause in the travel insurance refers to a "hazarous" sports pursuit where you might hire a large motorcycle as part of a sporty holiday.

I am pretty sure (could be very wrong ....) that if you are touring, then your Bike insurance covers you (you need to make sure you are covered fully comp abroad). The clause in the travel insurance refers to a "hazarous" sports pursuit where you might hire a large motorcycle as part of a sporty holiday.

But not for illness or say - breaking your leg while not riding the bike.

And some/most insurers do not class motorbikes on the road as being a hazardous sport/ pursuit.

You could be very wrong indeed.

Your 'Bike' (by which I guess you mean your Motor insurance, as required by law) insures that and that alone, being:

1. Your liability to third parties, as required by law

2. The theft, loss or destruction of the vehicle. This is not required by law but is reasonably standard under what are fairly conventional 'Comprehensive Motor' policies

It does NOT cover your bodily injury, the loss of your goods and chattels, delay, sickeness, cancellation and / or anything usually covered under a Travel policy.

What some brokers do is bolt-on other policies, like: legal expenses, personal accident, travel, breakdown, damage to helmet, jacket, boots etc. This is by no means certain, so DO ask. DO NOT assume that just because you have insured your awesome steed, you have all sorts of other cover bolted-on, too.

Also take care that what is bolted-on is any good. They are often stripped down covers, given away 'free'.

Back
Top Bottom