Mega Horn II

leedude03

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone used the afore mentioned tent, and if so what was it like, opinions please. Many thanks Lee.

Anyone used the afore mentioned tent, and if so what was it like, opinions please. Many thanks Lee.

Bought one of these last year and can't fault it.
I am well past the age where wriggling around on my back to get dressed/undressed has any appeal, so wanted something I could stand up in. First outing was the ABR West Wales rally in early September at West Tip Farm, Marloes on the far tip of Pembrokeshire. The camp site is quite literally on the top of the cliff, so gets a lot of wind and as usual for west Wales it was bloody raining when we arrived. Took about 10 minutes to pitch the tent in the wind and rain (had a practice in the garden the week before which helped!).
I particularly like the "sleeping nest" which just clips in once you have the tent up as it means there no groundsheet in the front half of the tent, so you can walk in and out with your boots on without filling the tent with mud,grass etc. Also means you can use the cooker inside (with the flap open for ventilation and as long as you're careful and know what your doing) without risking melting the groundsheet. There's enough room at either side of the nest to store a pannier so you don't clutter up the living space with all the gear.
It blew a gale and p*ssed down all Friday night and I stayed warm and dry, which is more than some others did. I carry it in the bag it came in on the rack, but if you wanted to carry the poles separately, I'm sure it would easily pack into a pannier. One worthwhile additional is a small plate or puck to go under the pole to stop it sinking in if the ground is soft.

Many thanks Mac thats the sort of info i was looking for, do you by any chance know the length of the main pole.

Thanks Neil i should have made it clear that i meant its colapsed length or shortest it can be for storage.

Looks nice that, but wish it had a proper inner, rather than just a net. Pretty chilly for UK use.

D.

The important thing for me is that (in my experience) its quick and easy to pitch and strike single handed in adverse conditions and it stands up well to wet, windy conditions; if I can stay dry I can keep warm. Thanks to our joke climate, any tent will be chilly in the UK, just get a good sleeping bag. There is a groundsheet in the mesh nest which worked OK under Welsh conditions and as per my original response, having what our American cousins call a "bare earth" tent works well for me, as I can walk in and out without filling the tent with crap or getting the groundsheet wet and messed up.
I really wanted a Robens Fairbanks which has pretty much the same combination of dry (sewn in bath tub) and bare earth areas, but they are way too expensive and weigh twice as much. I also suspect that it would last twice as long, but as my camping is limited to solo trips when I can negotiate a weekend pass from the Steering Committee, the Mega Horn fits the bill.

I've been using a Mega Horn II since 2014, I love how easy it is to put up and take down and the ability to stand up when getting dressed.

I use a cheap tarp as a ground sheet, peg the 4 corners out and put the tent on top. I also use a small rounded plastic bottle top to place over the top of the main pole to protect the top canopy, so that it doesn't wear a hole in the material.

Well pleased with this tent.

IMG_4615_zps930325aa.jpg~original

another +1 for this tent - I bought one last year and for all those reasons already stated (being able to stand up inside etc..etc..) it was great. I also use a small tarp as a groundsheet in front of the sleeping nest, especially if the ground is a bit damp. Plenty of room to sit in a helinox chair inside when it's raining...

Do you think there is enough length in the inner nest for an Exped synmat 12 lxw (197cm) without your head and feet couching the mesh? I'm a little over 6ft..

The inner is 2.3 x 1.45m (thats 7'6" x 4'9" for us oldies), so plenty of space. I'm 6'3" and have no problem with head or feet touching.

I ordered one recently but then regrettably cancelled the order, now the are out of stock until September!

Looks good but .....do a Google search UK only and last 12 months and hardly anything comes up. No chance of buying one.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom