Royal EnfieldTrials

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My brother has recently picked this project up as a box of bits - it's a mixture of a Royal Enfield 250cc Continental engine and parts, and there are some Montesa and Bultaco bits thrown in. Don't know what make the frame is but he's been cracking on with fabricating and drilling frame strengthening. He picked up some alloy yokes that were made for a bantam trials bike this weekend and they fitted like a glove.

I hope to get over to his place this weekend to have a look see.

Plenty of pics here https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipPfUBUufHEH95zvl_uI0c8eGcu1AqfwMasfM7WCSghlXCIQVE-lDtXLLJ1rQGKegg?key=Nm1jcEJsVU5ITUUwYkotQzV6aGUzVEw1R1BZNGVn

I had an Enfield Continental back in the day, brother had one as well, both ex-police. Nice engine, shame about the gearbox. Hope your brother does better with his.

False neutrals, and difficulty in finding the proper neutral. Also slight oil leak from the cylinder head at the pushrod tunnel but that was probably just my bike. The 5 speed boxes on the GT were worse as I recall.

Look forward to some more pics as it progresses.

False neutrals, and difficulty in finding the proper neutral. Also slight oil leak from the cylinder head at the pushrod tunnel but that was probably just my bike. The 5 speed boxes on the GT were worse as I recall.

As we say when I do trips to the Himalayas they are not false neutrals they are real����love these bikes out there ��

Progress

The engine has been confirmed as a 1964 Crusader, he is trying to find more from the RE owners club. Luckily there is a regional branch locally - which is the way it should be as the engine was made here

More work has been carried out on frame bracing, engine mounts and a downtube and headstock. An Amal GP Concentric has been sourced but he may not fit it as it is too full on and is more suitable for bikes such as Gold Stars - it may be up for sale. A period Montesa air filter has been purchased off ebay. He said that the sprocket is being sorted as well - something to do with the offset, it is with some expert over Evesham way.

Andy tells me that he may sell the bike as soon as it is completed and move on to the next project as the enjoyment he gets is from building, fabricating and solving the problems. It will be purely an off roader so will legible for pre 1965 trials if anybody is interested.

Anyhoo, here are a few pics from Google - I hope!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMBh1zbc46y7_rjTsobrrvhkuS5x_5Vq3TYsXjpQY0AMHx5Dx8_2PW-GCaqNBmTNA?key=VkVlOUZyQTFBVFV1YU9QY0x1QzA2eGRXamplZW13

From memory I'm sure there is a chapter with info on the works 250 crusaders campained back in the day in Don Morley's Classic British Trials Bikes book. If you want info on engine set up etc. Looks shiny!

Back
Top Bottom