New Street Triple R ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatScot

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had a Speed Triple a few years back, kept it for a bit and did about 8000 miles on it. Wish I'd kept it (that old cliché). Thinking the new Street Triple R might fit the bill for something nice and light (wet weight only c.190kg) and fun for riding locally for a blast on some of the brilliant roads round here, solo only. I'll be trading in my K1300S as I've got a GSA for going further afield and two-up. I like the look of it and it seems to be a well made and well-specced bike for the money. Anyone got any thoughts on the new Street Triple R?

I had the R new back in 09 , great engine and as you say light and agile unfortunately mine was a runt and I chucked it back after 1000 miles , went to a tiger 1050 which was great. Got a speed triple R SE now which is great but looked over the new street in Blade Swindon. I think its a stunner and with the right deal would be a lot of fun especially with the increase in power and that dash is great.

I had a Street Triple R in 2011, and loved it. If the new one is an improvement on that, I wouldn’t hesitate in getting another, if I was in the market for that sort of bike.

I think the new bike would be perfect for what you're looking for.
Has a test ride late last year and was impressed with it , It was an RS which was a bit of a hard ride , though the standard R is supposed to be more friendly
cracking motor....

Also tested the RS last year - suspension very stiff and lack of torque frustrating on the road. I’m sure it would be a beast on track. Apparently the R has a tiny bit of extra torque.

Quality of finish superb.

Today’s MCN tests the new KTM 790 Duke and they rave about it saying it will be the best of the group including the Street Triple and MT09.
Might be worth looking at ?

Thanks for the replies, guys. I did have a look at the new models at Triumph in Cardiff and it does look gorgeous in the flesh, the bang up-to-date riding modes and tft dash are really attractive improvements over the earlier model, along with the engine updates and it does look very well put together. I'll definitely be taking one for a test ride soon - the RS is the ride available at dealers. I read some of the test reports and the "R" seems to be the model I'd favour - the RS is definitely more track focussed. I know they're all a bit hard out of the box and I spent a bit of time softening the damping on my Speed Triple to make it a bit less harsh on the coccyx.

I might have a look at the KTM, Arsey, thanks for the info. I did test ride a 690SMT a few years back and it was a hoot to ride but I've never really been won over by the KTM styling cues.

Thanks again for the positive input, guys. Really pleased with my new Street Triple R, just over 700 miles on the clock and it's proving to be just perfect for what I wanted - a fun lightweight to ride the fabulous Welsh roads on. The engine is a peach (even at running in revs) and I've added the quickshifter to the excellent gearbox. The tft display is a real cracker with lots of display options and easy to control on the move. The suspension is fully adjustable and I've eased it back from the hard, out-of-the-box settings, and the ride is excellent.

IMG_2414_zpsxatrzo7t.jpg

Looks great. Just get that carbuncle off the back, and fit a tail tidy!

With thoughts of what i may replace the Hypermotard with A street trip or 790 Duke are the only possible contenders and neither will be as good so i will probably ( used loosly) keep what i have and love

Thanks again for the positive input, guys. Really pleased with my new Street Triple R, just over 700 miles on the clock and it's proving to be just perfect for what I wanted - a fun lightweight to ride the fabulous Welsh roads on. The engine is a peach (even at running in revs) and I've added the quickshifter to the excellent gearbox. The tft display is a real cracker with lots of display options and easy to control on the move. The suspension is fully adjustable and I've eased it back from the hard, out-of-the-box settings, and the ride is excellent.

IMG_2414_zpsxatrzo7t.jpg

I was talking to a guy last Sunday who had the new RS

He was going to buy the R then make a few spec additions but by the time he'd factored in the cost (including dealer fitting) he claimed it was cheaper buying the RS :D

A stonking bike according to all the reports I've read :clap

Looks great. Just get that carbuncle off the back, and fit a tail tidy!

The number plate looks like a barn door from the rear so will need a bit of a tidy :thumby: But apart from that there's nowt to do - the stock exhaust looks and sounds great. All I've added is the quickshifter, the visor screen thingy on the front and a quicklock ring for a small tank bag. Not bothering with tail-pack but invested in a Kriega R20 rucksack which is a quality item, really well-designed and made. Thanks to Nice 'n' Fat for the tip on the rucksack which is big enough for a weekend jaunt.

It wasn't a value thing for me with the R or RS. The R is just an easier bike to live with on most roads and around town with all the performance you really need; the RS is just a tad more lunatic and track focussed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom