AF-XIED on a LC... do they work?

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
reading on the site and they say not to be used from 2014 on... but is that only if you are going to the dealer for service as they will dial them out?... can't you just disconnect them before you go?

Ha ha have you just bought them ? Brilliant price btw.
I bought some and did some reading ahead of purchase and it appears that there was some problem with LC installation after a software update from BMW. Nightrider worked on a revision (rev G from memory) that had a few built in delays in the startup of the AF-XIEDs which prevents the error being logged by the bike.

Then again my memory is real shit -still a great price!

ok.. so does that mean they can't be used?... or will they still work?... I got these for the twin cam but never used them... does the LC need them in the UK or is it better fueled than the older ones???...

Just been sent this

BMW added an O2 sensor test about 18 months ago that occurs in the moments after the engine is started. There are other tests and checks of the O2 sensor that date back into the 90s. O2 sensor tests are the most important to the ECU because the O2 is the control element for fueling.

Nightrider’s efforts have been to first determine the nature of the test and then design a work-around. That has been done, tested and now is being put into pre-production for a further round of testing. As I learn more I will try to keep the vendor thread up to date.

So I'm still not sure if they will work or not?.. the bike has always been BMW serviced last done about 6 months ago.. so will it have the software revision in there that will not work with these?.... Any thoughts??

From memory, I think it chucks up an engine management light, whether that then means it goes to a default/limp-home mode I'm not sure.

Have little experience of the LC and it's fuelling, although I'm sure it will still be tuned to run leaner than a lean thing so the way the XIED's work will still be valid in that they will richen the mixture.

The little units will have details of part no and revision level written on them, mine are rev G but only bought them back end of last year.
Nightrider website has this:-
Use of the BMW AFXIED is no longer recommended for 2014 and later liquid cooled R1200. Field updates to the ECM by BMW Dealers during routine service department visits are creating incompatibility between the ECM and the AFXIED.
The field upgrade was something beyond our control, with no know issues prior to the new ECM load occurring in late 2016. With the field upgrade slowly propagating the change, the situation was not discovered until early 2017. This resulted in our de-certification of the R1200 LC models.

We are in the process of developing an updated AFXIED for these bikes. Release date to be announced at a future time.

However Beemerboneyard says that the RevG is suitable for the LC, can't cut and paste but page is here

I'm in Yorkshire if you want to compare the lighting up procedure of the units

Yes.. think mine are around 2015 manufacture (must have been on a shelf for a bit). so probably not good for the bike... why did you fit yours to the LC.. and has it made a big differance? Thought LC's were better at fueling control... I know this does not mean its not lean.. but should take the lumps out??

Sorry Beaver, misunderstanding, my bike is ‘05 1200 and has benefitted, though not yet run the (up to) 1000miles it takes to get full effect.
Got to admit to being a little sceptical but the science seems sound enough.
The LC may not show such an improvement if Bm have managed to address the lumpy running due to the lean mix. Then again this is pure speculation on my part
Th guy that developed it is Roger 04RT and there is much to read on the yank site for adventure BMWs. ComberJohn on here seems very knowledgeable too.

just checked mine.. they are rev F so no good for the LC... :(

Should have no trouble passing them on....they are such a worthwhile farkle for the non LC. Best thing I did for mine.

I got my LC a couple months ago. I’ve been helping Nightrider solve this problem and will provide an update here in the next couple days. I just installed units along with a fix module.

The AF-XIED is not yet compatible with liquid-cooled BMW boxers running the latest BMSX software. But Nightrider has been working on an adapter module that will allow all AF-XIED revisions (G &F) to function compatibly. Those adapter units are in field trials now.

The background to this is somewhere in the 2016 timeframe, BMW came up with a clever test to figure out if anything other than a functioning O2 sensor was connected to its inputs. (That was a new test in addition to checking if a sensor was there or if it was shorted). Since Nightrider is a “Harley” company, a couple of us experimented to figure out the nature of the new test and when it was made. Nightrider sent out some prototype hardware and that got tested, leading to the pre-production units that are now on three bikes—2 RT LCs and one GSA.

The units are functioning with F and G revision XIEDs so it shouldn’t be long before Nightrider releases them for wider production.

My 2017 RT was pretty well fueled without the XIEDs so I was curious what affect they would have. To my surprise, they have transformed the low-end torque, just as the Innovate LC-1 did on my R1150. Much stronger takeoff, less downshifting, and smoother roll-on throttle. There are good signs above 4000 RPM, that there will be a pop in torque after I get a few more miles on the bike.

So stay tuned, Nightrider shouldn’t be too much longer sorting the compatibility module and releasing it.

I for one, am very interested in the forthcoming module release, as I have the XIED fitted to my 2015 LC. The XIED units were bought in mid 2017. After fitting and a few tanks of petrol, I think it still improved my bike, or was it a placebo affect? Who knows.

Will be watching this thread closely.

If you don’t have engine errors on the display it is working as intended. Don’t get your software updated.

No engine errors on the display. Thank you for your prompt response Roger. I will tell the dealer at the next service not to bother with updates.

If they go ahead and do the updates despite your request for them not to (just to f**k with you) can they roll it back to undo the update when your AXFIED's no longer work?

If they go ahead and do the updates despite your request for them not to (just to f**k with you) can they roll it back to undo the update when your AXFIED's no longer work?

Not sure, but I would imagine thay could. I get on well with the head mechanic, and told him that I had fitted the X-IED before he did the last service, so that might be the reason for not getting an error message on the dash.

Back
Top Bottom