Crazy insurance!

I've been with Hastings 9 years now, 1 claim paid out in full and quickly. Mines £30 cheaper than last year @ £300 for two bikes, must check on the commuting point though, i do ask for it but it is never on the renewal

I was with BMW through Devitt last year after a hasty change with the PCP, is it or isn't it insured. ( Apparently now its sorted and treated like HP) anyway , changed bike from 2016 GS to 2017 GSA ( 18 model) and its gone from
£570 ( two bikes 2009 Harley Roadking) to £890 !!!!! With full NCD Garaged and that was with £600 Excess on BM and £200 and Harley. ! Crazy. Spoke to a number of companies all about £700 +. Bennetts were very helpful and spoke to a guy there who handled custom and bespoke policies and he told me that the Harley was no problem despite loads of mods and £12000 value, that was £225 with no no claims discount on it. The BMW using full NCD and milage/garage stipulation was over £500 on its own. He explained that its value of £17000 + mean't there were only a few underwriters that he could use and its a very stolen motorcycle and of high risk. He suggested I would struggle to get any cover in London area at all, fortunately I don't live there. Anyway I ended up with Harley Davidson insurance ,a branch of Carole Nash for £597 with good cover and min excess. Carole Nash themselves wanted £900. Its nuts I've never had a claim and get 75% NCD, without it ...well. BMW may find that Insurance will become an increasing issue impacting on sales if it gets much worse.

Oh yes couldn't get Hastings to answer the phone despite waiting twice for nearly 20 min so gave up there.

For my sins, I looked at moving bikes to the new Honda Goldwing... £29,600... so rang a few companies for insurance quotes. Only one would even look at the bike, and they would not even consider if the mile over 6000 miles per year.

Sticking with my GS.

My experience when trying to insure my bikes is many underwriters don't want to cover bikes valued at over 15k. My 2015 GS was under that threshold and the comparison sites came back with quotes from under £200 with at the time no ncb. Add on the vario luggage and because the value then jumped to over 15k the prices rocketed. Due to the increase in cost and theft we're all paying for the pleasure

Well my insurance is up this month. 1 Year on from buying my 17 reg Triple Black GSA

Last year my insurance premium was £ 425

This years auto renewal premium had gone up to £ 537

So I shopped around on Confused.com and the cheapest quotation was £ 210 (for one off payment) which I accepted

Fully Comprehensive, Bike Valued at £16,500 and 10999 miles per year SDP Use, 6 Years NCB, Protected NCB, Pillion Cover, Breakdown Cover, ride other peoples bikes etc..

The ONLY major thing that has changed, is I just turned 50 years old :D :thumb2

Also, the other thing I noticed was ALL THE QUOTATIONS HAD MASSIVE COMPULSORY EXCESS APPLIED. So something is definitely up.

Every quote wanted £1000+ for Excess Payment.

A motorised bicycle from BMW is £17k now.... but premiums havent changed much in 30 years in comparison.

Too true. I remember paying £364 in 1980 for insurance on my BMW R65.

The proof of a good insurance company is when it is time to claim.

I stick with BMW insurance via - whoever - why

Wrecked a bike on a Sunday
Phoned insurance on a Monday
Bike picked up on Tuesday
Assessed Wednesday
Cheque in post for full amount on Thursday

I’ve just been dealing with Bennets and it seems their choice of underwriters is greatly reduced when the value of the bike goes over 17k. The point being when renewal is due ensure to correctly revalue your bike to improve your premium. I wonder how many people are on auto renewal at the same value.

It is best being realistic with value of bike as insurance will only pay out book price not retail value , the swines. Heard on radio today . So is it worth paying extra on your estimation price of your bike ?

It is best being realistic with value of bike as insurance will only pay out book price not retail value , the swines. Heard on radio today . So is it worth paying extra on your estimation price of your bike ?

If it is a new bike I think you'll find you need to put the invoice price down as the bikes value, especially if the policy provides for a new replacement if it suffers from a total loss in the first 6 to 12 months from new.

For the last week or so, ive been getting insurance emails in my inbox

Dear Mr xxxx your insurance is due,

fully comp £90 yada yada

The offical renewal came in today £263.50 - a 39% increase

They can feck right off!

Just done a quick online looksee i can get FC with BMW for £100 less , and there not the cheapest by a long shot!

Why do they do it ....????

Piss boiling now! just re quoted as a new customer £134 FC

Wapping has just bought a flash car.................

Just sayin’ :augie

Insurance

If it is a new bike I think you'll find you need to put the invoice price down as the bikes value, especially if the policy provides for a new replacement if it suffers from a total loss in the first 6 to 12 months from new.

Yes am aware some companies will replace in first yr, but i was speaking of later years.

Not been about for a while as I have been off bikes , but a change of jobs has given me the opportunity to convince the wife its more cost effective to commute on a bike than use the train. So back looking at gsa’s. One thing i forgot was my no clims is now 0
First quote last night almost £1600.00 based on a 53 year old with no claims or convictions bike garaged.

Not been about for a while as I have been off bikes , but a change of jobs has given me the opportunity to convince the wife its more cost effective to commute on a bike than use the train. So back looking at gsa’s. One thing i forgot was my no clims is now 0
First quote last night almost £1600.00 based on a 53 year old with no claims or convictions bike garaged.

Are you looking at a brand new bike?

I think for commuting I would be putting my money on a S/H bike under £6k for depreciation and insurance cost.

(Apologies if that quote is already for a £6k bike)

Was taking the commuting reason to convince the wife a bike was needed.

Look like i am going to lower the bar now.

Wow, Bennett quoted me £615 because I have a akrapovic and BMW panniers, the value of the pannier set is over £1000, so they increase quote... best for me this year, LV £325, and BMW insurance £406.

That's for 9000 mile fully comp & commuting. With 8 years no claims.

I'm convinced these days it not about risk, but how much they can screw out of you, thats why they do credit searches...

That’s weird, I called Bennetts to include various extras on my 1200R, including full
Pannier set, headlamp fairing, arrow end can, and a set of AF-xieds, as a result of this premium went down by £55.00 so I got a refund of £25 after amendment charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying to renew my insurance, what a nightmare.Quotes are all over the place,same for me with Bennetts £302 untill I added Akra,panniers and crash bars it went up to £960.comparisonn sites are a bit of a con too as the quotes don't seem to include all the info you have provided.£458 renewal with hasting but after having a tussle with a car on a roundabout and the dismal way they handled the whole claims process I don't want to renew with them. Insurance seems a proper con these days after disclosing the accident my insurance on my two cars and being a named driver on my wife's car its cost me about another £250 in total.

I despise the way insurance companies have no consistency across the market. They just seem have a list of tick-boxes based on only data that gives them excuse to ramp up prices. If anything is out of the box for them, their response is just so predictable!

I’ve just been dealing with Bennets and it seems their choice of underwriters is greatly reduced when the value of the bike goes over 17k. The point being when renewal is due ensure to correctly revalue your bike to improve your premium. I wonder how many people are on auto renewal at the same value.

Top tip this. No bigger waste of money than over insuring.

Another big saving is to carry a higher excess, if you afford the risk.

Back
Top Bottom