Possible purchase

neo

Reaction score
Hi all just thought I'd ask your opinions on "the one to get"interested in a 1200 gs I would like a post abs 2 (servo assist) seen a reasonable 08 with 60odd k on it with fmdsh anything to look for/avoid? I had an 07 with 74k ages ago iifc the fuelling was dire and that's why we parted otherwise she was a keeper.. although i don't expect all to be like this is this a bit of a "they all do that sir" was a vagueness slow speed on/off throttle

Many thanks in advance

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I bought an 09 Adventure recently with 47K mls on it about 6 weeks ago and picked it up today after it's 48K service. Was given a clean bill of health and I'd say cosmetically it's 95%. It has ESA fitted and everything works as it should. There are good deals out there and I've seen some nice bikes offered on here too. 60K miles would not scare me with fmdsh.

I bought an 09 Adventure recently with 47K mls on it about 6 weeks ago and picked it up today after it's 48K service. Was given a clean bill of health and I'd say cosmetically it's 95%. It has ESA fitted and everything works as it should. There are good deals out there and I've seen some nice bikes offered on here too. 60K miles would not scare me with fmdsh.
Thanks I can't manage an adventure model but am Keen on this one sounds like you got one with all the bells and whistles on to, my last one was a black 07 what's the fuelling like in yours will it hold say 30 without hunting?

I've got a 2010 Twin Cam GSA ..picked it up with 69,000 miles on it last March...it's now on 74,000... Runs really sweet...I had a final drive rebuild done by Mikeyboy, but other than that everything is as it should be, including the ESA ......and it's a smooth at 30 as it is at ..70 :thumb2

I never thought my 30" inside leg would work on a GSA....but with a low Sargent seat it's no more difficult than a GS would be...

Neo, check out some af-Xied units, will sort out the fueling nicely.

There may be a set coming up for sale here rather soon.
Thanks popell I'll keep my eyes peeled on here

Thanks timeandtide I have heard a lot about hilltop

I have an '08 GSA with 40 K miles (with Dealer FSH up to 36K) and I have had to repair/replace/rebuild the following -
Clutch and Pressure plate (both worn out)
Rear Caliper (sticking)
Front Calipers (corroded pistons)
Front ESA Shock rebuild incl. gas reservoir (corrosion)
Lower Stick coils (corrosion)
Rear Disc (warped)
Front Discs (scoring)
Front Engine cover (heavily corroded)

So just a few things to watch out for IMO, otherwise starts and runs sweet. Some fueling issues low down at slow speeds but putting that down to the poorly stick coils and lean running. Most running issues seem to be sorted by spending a bit on a Hilltop remap or O2 sensor units and ensuring your stick coils are in good condition and using quality fuel.
Engines seem rock solid so would expect that to outlast the frame and everything bolted onto it.

I have an '08 GSA with 40 K miles (with Dealer FSH up to 36K) and I have had to repair/replace/rebuild the following -
Clutch and Pressure plate (both worn out)
Rear Caliper (sticking)
Front Calipers (corroded pistons)
Front ESA Shock rebuild incl. gas reservoir (corrosion)
Lower Stick coils (corrosion)
Rear Disc (warped)
Front Discs (scoring)
Front Engine cover (heavily corroded)

So just a few things to watch out for IMO, otherwise starts and runs sweet. Some fueling issues low down at slow speeds but putting that down to the poorly stick coils and lean running. Most running issues seem to be sorted by spending a bit on a Hilltop remap or O2 sensor units and ensuring your stick coils are in good condition and using quality fuel.
Engines seem rock solid so would expect that to outlast the frame and everything bolted onto it.
Blimey a fair bit of fettling then,thanks for the input yours is a low miler to

High milers are usually a better bet than a garage queen which only comes out on high days and holidays. People generally look after them better mechanically in my experience.

Any fuelling issues just get into Hilltop and that sorts it out.

High milers are usually a better bet than a garage queen which only comes out on high days and holidays. People generally look after them better mechanically in my experience.

Any fuelling issues just get into Hilltop and that sorts it out.
Thanks Sarge

Gone for it! Part exchanged it for my 11 yes the 11 gs is fantastic don’t get me wrong but the 1200 tc feels so much more lively and nimble miles apart, will post up some pics when I get it back

For anyone else reading this - the GS and GSA shocks are the same length. I have GS units on my GSA, it actually feels even taller because the GS stiffer springs don't compress as much as the GSA (ESA) units.

For anyone else reading this - the GS and GSA shocks are the same length. I have GS units on my GSA, it actually feels even taller because the GS stiffer springs don't compress as much as the GSA (ESA) units.
Interesting, thanks for that this has an aftermarket hagon but I have asked for the original rear shock to be fitted so I have use of the esa, at least I will have some idea of a start point I quite like the idea of being able to adjust the suspension on the fly, some people say it doesn't make any difference from what they can tell between modes?

It’s a shame Alf Hagon doesn’t offer an ESA compatible shock. Wilbers “WESA” uses their springs and dampers with the original ESA mechanisms. They give a wider range between hard & soft damping. But with OEM, if there is no difference between damping modes the shocks need servicing. A great deal less costly that Wilbers BTW.

No they are not....the GSA shocks are longer than standard GS with the same spring on the rear and a slightly firmer one on the front....which is why they have different part numbers.....no idea why yours feels taller.

I know this because I enquired about GS shocks when my 09 GSA rear shock let go an was looking at alternatives....unless of course the parts guy at Bahnstormers was wrong....always a possibility of course.

No they are not....the GSA shocks are longer than standard GS with the same spring on the rear and a slightly firmer one on the front....which is why they have different part numbers.....no idea why yours feels taller.

I know this because I enquired about GS shocks when my 09 GSA rear shock let go an was looking at alternatives....unless of course the parts guy at Bahnstormers was wrong....always a possibility of course.

The 05 GS shocks I have are exactly the same length as units I took off my 08 ESA Adventure - and I saw the bike they came off - it is a GS not a GSA.

I was hoping for a lower ride height from the GS units but actually got a higher ride height due to the GS having stiffer springs on the same length shock. However it's always possible the owner specced it with taller shocks.

I was hoping for a lower ride height but actually got a higher ride height due to the GS having stiffer springs. The 05 GS shocks I have are exactly the same length as units I took off my 08 ESA Adventure - and I saw the bike they came off - it is a GS not a GSA.

However it's always possible the owner specced it with taller shocks.
The ride height on my 10 tc is spot on for me I'm about a 31" leg so not exactly Usain bolt but I can nearly flat foot it

Back
Top Bottom