Ohlins rear shock R1100RT

beemer pimp

Reaction score
Hey All .
Looking for advice .
I rebuild bike 2 Years back , but never bother change shocks. So 20K ml later rear sprung a leak as expected.
By chance came across secondhand Ohlins BM055 for €200 with 10K on it .
Install shock gone for ride , it was Shocking , like dinghy on surf .
Setting :
Pre-load -9 mm
Rebound -23clicks
I turned rebound to 12 clicks but still feel like spring to soft and to much travel.
Then I change pre-load to 14 mm and seam improvement but it's early days .
I know nothing about setting shocks , I'm I correct to say :
Pre-load control large bumps and
Rebound control smaller ones ?

2 bikes twice is happy

Maybe the spring is to “light” for you.?
An ohlins shock is built to a specific weight of rider,pillion and luggage requirements.
The spec of the spring should be painted onto it.
Once you have the spring weight you can make more enquiries.

At 10k the Öhlins is at least halfway through its service life.

If it has had a hard life, or done more miles than the vendor described, it could need a rebuild. Find out who sorts out shocks for your local bike racers and pay them a visit - they'll be able to set it up for you and advise on its serviceability (and respring it for your weight if necessary).

Yeah I'm just fishing if anyone have similar shock and try settings .
I suppose it's trail and error. Just pain have to take shock off to reset pre-load .
O by the way anyone know what's maximum pre-load?

2 bikes twice is happy

Maybe the spring is to “light” for you.?
An ohlins shock is built to a specific weight of rider,pillion and luggage requirements.
The spec of the spring should be painted onto it.
Once you have the spring weight you can make more enquiries.
I'm 13st so not sure if this spring to light
cf25c1bf3340e02aea3e74a1ad7ce806.jpg

2 bikes twice is happy

Now you have the spec of the spring,you need to ring your local ohlins guys to find out what weight the spring is for.
Or John at revs racing should be able to advise:thumb
Cheers Mikey I try that

2 bikes twice is happy

Hey All .
Looking for advice .
I rebuild bike 2 Years back , but never bother change shocks. So 20K ml later rear sprung a leak as expected.
By chance came across secondhand Ohlins BM055 for €200 with 10K on it .
Install shock gone for ride , it was Shocking , like dinghy on surf .
Setting :
Pre-load -9 mm
Rebound -23clicks
I turned rebound to 12 clicks but still feel like spring to soft and to much travel.
Then I change pre-load to 14 mm and seam improvement but it's early days .
I know nothing about setting shocks , I'm I correct to say :
Pre-load control large bumps and
Rebound control smaller ones ?

2 bikes twice is happy
shocks are reasonably simple in theory but a black art to set all the adjustments properly, (if that makes sense)

Spring is the first thing to specify, all depends on your weight, too light and the bike will sag (travel) too much when you sit on the bike, this causes two main issues. Firstly it affects the steering geometry (slow vague steering) and secondly renders a lot of your suspension redundant as its already compressed by just sitting on it.

If the spring is too heavy for your weight the suspension wont compress making the geometry aggressive and twitchy. As its too hard you will only use a small amount of the travel, wasting the suspensions capabilities. In simple terms it would be very harsh on bumps and not very pleasant to ride. The bike would also find it difficult to grip the road as its not following the surface of the road.

If the spring rate is wrong no amount of adjusting the compression, rebound and preload will fix it

Now you have the right spring chosen, it needs help being controlled as its a basic piece of equipment.

Preload: as its name suggests it pre loads (tensions) the spring, this adjusts the ride height and nothing else, it doesnt make the bike harder/softer the spring is linear and has a spring rate only a different spring changes this. Changing the ride height is adjusting the seat height on a rear shock, this has implications to the steering.

Compression: adjusts the rate (speed) at which the spring is allowed to compress. Done by oil and orifices within the shock. No matter what you set this at, if you sit on the bike it will always end up in the same place as its the spring rate that holds you up. Too much compression and the shock will harsh.

Rebound: adjusts the rate the spring is allowed to extend/return after hitting a bump. Done by oil and orifices within the shock. Too little and the bike will be like a pogo stick as it will bounce back up, too much and the shock will uncompress/return slowly and will many times have hit the next bump while still compressed from the first bump, this lets the bike skip over the bumps and loose contact with the road.

In very simple terms the objective is for the bike to stay steady while your wheels fall in and out of the bumps on the road in a controlled manner so that you dont notice them. If you can get it to do that half decently you are doing well.

But as most have said the first thing to get right is the spring rate and then everything after that tailors the spring to work properly for you. Everything on a road bike is generally a compromise, as one some days you add a passenger or luggage or both.

This is a very sketchy synopsis of bike suspension,

suspension is an area that if done right transforms a bike under braking, cornering and accelerating beyond belief and is worth the time and effort.

shocks are reasonably simple in theory but a black art to set all the adjustments properly, (if that makes sense)

Spring is the first thing to specify, all depends on your weight, too light and the bike will sag (travel) too much when you sit on the bike, this causes two main issues. Firstly it affects the steering geometry (slow vague steering) and secondly renders a lot of your suspension redundant as its already compressed by just sitting on it.

If the spring is too heavy for your weight the suspension wont compress making the geometry aggressive and twitchy. As its too hard you will only use a small amount of the travel, wasting the suspensions capabilities. In simple terms it would be very harsh on bumps and not very pleasant to ride. The bike would also find it difficult to grip the road as its not following the surface of the road.

If the spring rate is wrong no amount of adjusting the compression, rebound and preload will fix it

Now you have the right spring chosen, it needs help being controlled as its a basic piece of equipment.

Preload: as its name suggests it pre loads (tensions) the spring, this adjusts the ride height and nothing else, it doesnt make the bike harder/softer the spring is linear and has a spring rate only a different spring changes this. Changing the ride height is adjusting the seat height on a rear shock, this has implications to the steering.

Compression: adjusts the rate (speed) at which the spring is allowed to compress. Done by oil and orifices within the shock. No matter what you set this at, if you sit on the bike it will always end up in the same place as its the spring rate that holds you up. Too much compression and the shock will harsh.

Rebound: adjusts the rate the spring is allowed to extend/return after hitting a bump. Done by oil and orifices within the shock. Too little and the bike will be like a pogo stick as it will bounce back up, too much and the shock will uncompress/return slowly and will many times have hit the next bump while still compressed from the first bump, this lets the bike skip over the bumps and loose contact with the road.

In very simple terms the objective is for the bike to stay steady while your wheels fall in and out of the bumps on the road in a controlled manner so that you dont notice them. If you can get it to do that half decently you are doing well.

But as most have said the first thing to get right is the spring rate and then everything after that tailors the spring to work properly for you. Everything on a road bike is generally a compromise, as one some days you add a passenger or luggage or both.

This is a very sketchy synopsis of bike suspension,

suspension is an area that if done right transforms a bike under braking, cornering and accelerating beyond belief and is worth the time and effort.
Thanks very much for detailed information.
This shock comes with 200nm spring as standard unless request otherwise, bike heavy enough and I carry pillion sometime too so just have to fiddle around until it's right . I'm not to off with 14mm pre-load and 14 click rebound .
Might reduce pre-load half mm see what happens. Only pain in ass have to take shock off every time to adjust pre-load. Thanks to everyone for input .
What about €170 for service ? To much ?

2 bikes twice is happy

Small update:
Far as I found out 200nm spring is second hardest available. I'm roughly 90kg and half times I carry passenger so this settings more suitable for me.
Pre-load 13mm
Rebound 11clicks
Ride firm but comfortable just way I like and because there no hydrolick pre-load that way no need change when caring pillion .
Happy me

2 bikes twice is happy

Back
Top Bottom