1200gs 2004 engine revs to 6.5k when started.

zmh2012

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just been through a winter re-build of the 1200gs 2004 rear drive - all went ok but had a real problem with re start after the bike had been sitting for a couple of months. In the end had to jump start from my car but all seemed ok (bike ticked over and I started it couple of times after this with no problems) but was concerned that the alternator bearings had siezed. Removed petrol tank etc and took alternator belt off. All seemed ok, found one small crack but this seemed old , replaced the belt with new. Put everything back then came to start. Engine took off up to max revs. Turned engine off immediately as I thought I had trapped the throttle cable when I put the petrol tank back. Cable was fine - checked the connections inside the throttle cable box and all seems to be moving freely. Have tried to start a couple of times but the same thing- the engine revs right up to the limit straight away.

The throttle cable is seated ok on both sides with cables hitting their stops. Have carried out the throttle position sensor restart motronic re set but still have the same problem.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

The throttle cable is seated ok on both sides with cables hitting their stops.
Any thoughts much appreciated.

If the butterflies in the throttle bodies are closed, as you suggest, then it's absolutely impossible for the bike to rev to 6.5 rpm as it needs air, and it'll only be getting enough to idle

check the left side where the main throttle cable enters the cable splitter I have had them pull out there, It doesn't need to be fully open to make it rev it's nuts off whilst there is no load also check at the underside of the twistgrip around where it exits the switchgear to make sure it hasn;t pulled out of the preformed guide/bend

check the left side where the main throttle cable enters the cable splitter I have had them pull out there, It doesn't need to be fully open to make it rev it's nuts off whilst there is no load also check at the underside of the twistgrip around where it exits the switchgear to make sure it hasn;t pulled out of the preformed guide/bend

You were absolutely correct- the cable had pulled out just before the splitter- found it this morning . Re set the throttle and it started and ticked over - many thanks for all the help.

Martin

Back
Top Bottom