i have a 1150 gs is a the 1200 fuel injector change worth while

R11502011

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
is the gs 1200 fuel injector swap worth while and are they a straight swap. what is the difference in the running of the bike
:beer:

1150 is similar to 1100 that I've put on the 1200 injectors some time ago.

I belived the advert hype first but now through many miles I reckon it's not worth it. Very subtle improvement in fuel economy, smoothness and power. You can hardly notice if anything has changed at all. Just a tiny bit better overall.

John's tuning chip (mine's Stage 3 for the practical low and mid rpms) is a much better investment imho. Big improvement in comparison, much cheaper too.

I bought a kit for my 1100GS from www.tills.de several months ago. I think it was worthwhile. Start up is better and overall running is smoother and more responsive and fuel consumption is moderately better. After a while however, like all modifications, you get used to the changes and can forget how the bike run before them.
I still feel it was worthwhile for me. I suspect the better spray pattern is the cause of better combustion. I feel it has modernised my old tractor!
On the other hand, I fitted one of the Greek chips a long while ago and noticed no change.

You cant just swap round the 1200 injectors direct for the 1100 ones as they are different lengths and you need adapters, which come with the kit. Not sure if that is the case for the 1150 though.

This is a mod I've been thinking about, so I took some advice... The thinking was that it's more important to have a set of balanced injectors, so it was suggested to me that the bike would run smoother with the basic matched set rather than investing in the ones from the 1200.

Thanks lads I will hold off doing it for now I'm thinking of buying a 1150 adventure now so I will wait and see for now

Finally fitted the 1200 injectors I bought for my bike last year.
Yep it makes a difference.
Smoother and more responsive, possibly a bit more power.
But that could just be down to fitting reconditioned and balanced pair injectors.
I am also running one of Johns chips, no idea what number but it is for a bike running Rocket Sprockets with everything else as standard.
But I dont care as I still love my bike.

Adrian

Just ran my 1100 with balanced (standard) injectors yeasterday for the first time. Engine was purring, although I did also change the ht leads which may have helped. Dunno if the 1200 ones are worth it, but I think getting balanced ones is.

I am not sure about this injector balancing idea. I remember a dealer telling me once that the injectors for the 1100/ 1150 were 'state of the art'. I expect they are indeed made to exacting tolerances/ measurements by the manufacturer. I can't see why one new injector would be different from the next.

I can see how cleaning a pair of old injectors is beneficial. I previously had this done with good results.

The advantage of the 1200 injectors is I believe in the mist type of spray pattern, which apparently aids combustion. I find they do indeed give more power and smoother running to my old 1100.

A question -

¿ do those later 1200-type spray pattern injectors ( 200 snoojits ) reduce twin-spark hunting on a neutral throttle in traffic ? Neil might know....

Also, now since running about in lovely warm Andalusian weather, I get a deal of popping and banging on the overrun. Unburnt fuel, don't'cha know.

Sounds complicated, and a case for José, El Tecnico.

Best cure I found for surging was a Dobeck Techlusion fuel controller. However I would first try adjusting valve clearances, setting the TPS voltage and balancing the throttle bodies. New or cleaned injectors would certainly assist. The 1200 injectors seem to burn petrol better and provide crisper power...

Graçias Gorilla - your hints are translated and passed to José, el tecnico in Antas at his new spacious, barn-like workshop.

A question -

¿ do those later 1200-type spray pattern injectors ( 200 snoojits ) reduce twin-spark hunting on a neutral throttle in traffic ? Neil might know....

Sorry Syko, i've no experience with 1100/1150 bikes fitted with 1200 injectors.

So does that mean you don't really think the spray-pattern injectors are worth the bother, Neil ? The OEM ones on the dry-clutch oilheads are up to the job ? Your thoughts on efficient fuelling would be much appreciated.

I am not sure about this injector balancing idea. I remember a dealer telling me once that the injectors for the 1100/ 1150 were 'state of the art'. I expect they are indeed made to exacting tolerances/ measurements by the manufacturer. I can't see why one new injector would be different from the next.

I can see how cleaning a pair of old injectors is beneficial. I previously had this done with good results.

The advantage of the 1200 injectors is I believe in the mist type of spray pattern, which apparently aids combustion. I find they do indeed give more power and smoother running to my old 1100.

I agree.

Matching is always a good thing in two cylinder bikes but cleaning the stock injectors on R1150s often restores their balance. If spray pattern alone were that significant, the R1200 motorcycle (which obviously uses R1200 injectors) would have needed the expense of a dual O2 ECU. I’d send the stock injectors out for cleaning and get a report on their post cleaning balance.

One of the reasons that there is a strong first impression is that they add a ton of fuel initially at the low quarter of throttle travel (up to 12-15%, due to faster turn in of the injectors), before the Motronic adapts to them. After a couple tanks of gas, the extra fuel is gone.

When you combine the extra fuel of these injectors, with the extra fuel of a Johns chip it can be too much, beyond the Motronic adaptation range, so keep that in mind.

To reduce light throttle hunting (or surging as some call it), add an AF-XIED which also adds just enough fuel to eliminate the effect of injector mismatch.

I changed mine over the winter,its not worse but i could have spent the 200 quid on beer and chair ladies and had a better time.

New stick coils solved the iffy-running of my bike's motor. Now it's goodbye to all the hunting, hesitation, backfiring, coughing, and the general feeling that something's not right with the fuel supply and injection.

Now it just roars along and has gone back to that great feeling you get when you zip round a dawdling cager just by tweaking the throttle a natch.

As someone else says on another forum,
"Bad running ? It's always the stick coils."

Back
Top Bottom