Black Panniers

andyclift

Reaction score
Having decided on a new GS Adventure the biggest decision was which pannier system to buy. I have had two bikes with aluminium panniers (Zega and BMW) which look good to start with but soon corrode and scratch easily. So this time do I have a trip to South Wales to fit Touratech Anodised kit (and throw away perfectly good pannier mounts). Maybe look at wrapping or repainting but nothing offers the "as new" result.

Then I ordered the bike and the dealer asked if I wanted plain aluminium or black panniers !! Yes, that's right. After all these years BMW are at last offering their panniers in a finish other than quickly corroding aluminium. They are a little more expensive but probably cheaper than any DIY wrapping solution. I don't have the bike yet so time will tell whether it's a good solution but it can't be worse than the salt stained grey and scratched kit hanging on my earlier bikes.

The thing about wrapping is that it can be replaced. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the new black panniers anodized as well ?

From experience this stuff is easily chipped and scratched.

My rationale is that I start with panniers that, I hope, will not corrode and look tatty quickly like the last set without having to faff about with sticky back plastic on a new bike. If needed there is nothing to stop me wrapping them in the future though. The extra cost of the black panniers is probably not too different to the cost of wrapping. Re anodising. I don't know and the dealer was not too sure either. As the BMW boxes are made by Touratech and the Touratech Zegas are anodised I think it's likely that these are. I will confirm when I get the bike.

My rationale is that I start with panniers that, I hope, will not corrode and look tatty quickly like the last set without having to faff about with sticky back plastic on a new bike. If needed there is nothing to stop me wrapping them in the future though. The extra cost of the black panniers is probably not too different to the cost of wrapping. Re anodising. I don't know and the dealer was not too sure either. As the BMW boxes are made by Touratech and the Touratech Zegas are anodised I think it's likely that these are. I will confirm when I get the bike.

The Zega Pro black boxes are anodised....I have a top box on the SA and I'm very pleased with it :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom