Kawasaki GPz550 cafe racer

Kenny

Trustworthy Scouser AND
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Toxteth scouser, made good ..now hiding on the W
Bought this last September from a genius of a mechanic....all I have had to do is
fit a gel battery; install mega bright LED indicators, mirro and a red lensed rear light etc.
Few other minor personal touches but once I receive the replacement petrol tank ( due shortly )
I'll update accordingly:clap
Run it on a fuel bottle and the Yoshi silencer is to die for !!:bounce1
Work of art:thumb2

Attachments

• 7.01.2018.jpg
    7.01.2018.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 1,139
  • IMG_0687.jpg
    IMG_0687.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 750
Nice one Kenny ~ having seen the bike in the flesh I was seriously tempted when it was up for sale............. What gives with the 'replacement tank'?

Andres

What gives with the 'replacement tank'?

Andres

When Mikeyboy sent the original tank down to me for painting I blasted it and it was unfortunately like a teabag, with replacements being so scarce we decided between us to take the gamble and repair it, sadly it's not 100% fuel tight and has started to bubble up. Mikeyboy scouted out a solid replacement tank and I have painted it, it's finished but it's not quite hard enough to wrap in bubble wrap and courier up. It'll be next week.

Why are you fitting a gel battery? from Memory Mikeboy fitted a lithium battery (I remember him tell me it was over £100) which would crank that thing over all day?

Can't wait....all ready to launch on 1st April ... and thanks for doing the paint job, all very much appreciated, both from you and mikeyboy ( who did tell me
about the tank problem before I bought the Kawasaki ) :beerjug:

Re the battery, I've had problems with lithium batteries in the past. On my last special...even with jump leads the bike still wouldn't start once the volts drop below 10V

Just have to fathom out now why the tyre tubes go down in this cold weather :rob

Love to extend the sidestand about 75mm but not sure if this can be done if the stand is a cast jobbie:confused:

Tyres are tubeless.
Try nipping up the valve core studs
Thought they were tubed:blast Both tyres go down slowly
Removed the valves and tried a couple of times, even wiped the valve rubber seal with some Armour rubber feed..........probably just need's a healthy :whip on the road; genuinely believe it may be the cold weather !
Love the bike, absolute work of art !:)

Attachments

• IMG_0953.JPG
    IMG_0953.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 618
I think the wheels/tyres will mate with each other as and when the bike becomes on the road. Everything still like new !:bounce1
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Anyone know how to extend the sidestand about 3 inches on this bike?
I'll measure up tomorrow etc...just that she does lean a lot on the current sidestand.

When Mikeyboy sent the original tank down to me for painting I blasted it and it was unfortunately like a teabag, with replacements being so scarce we decided between us to take the gamble and repair it, sadly it's not 100% fuel tight and has started to bubble up. Mikeyboy scouted out a solid replacement tank and I have painted it, it's finished but it's not quite hard enough to wrap in bubble wrap and courier up. It'll be next week.

Surely the stickers should have held it together?
:hide

I think the wheels/tyres will mate with each other as and when the bike becomes on the road. Everything still like new !:bounce1
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'll measure up tomorrow etc...just that she does lean a lot on the current sidestand.

Not the most exciting of topics...but here are some pics of the sidestand. Need's to be about 70mm longer....any suggestions? ( Not desperate desperate but it would help keeping the bike a lot more upright etc )

Attachments

• IMG_0973.jpg
    IMG_0973.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_0972.jpg
    IMG_0972.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 489
Not the most exciting of topics...but here are some pics of the sidestand. Need's to be about 70mm longer....any suggestions? ( Not desperate desperate but it would help keeping the bike a lot more upright etc )

I need to do exactly the same on my Frontera so will see what you come up with :)

In my numpty ignorance I'd thought about cutting it and welding in a section of tube with the same ID as the OD of the side stand IYSWIM. Maybe not the most attractive way to do it but functional?

Why is yours too short? Is it the wrong stand? If not, can't you get a 2nd hand one?

Andres

I need to do exactly the same on my Frontera so will see what you come up with :)

Why is yours too short? Is it the wrong stand? If not, can't you get a 2nd hand one?

Andres

Never wanted one, Vauxhall's are to unreliable ! :D

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

OK..back to business. I believe it is an original one, just that bike leans tad to far over for my liking. Not sure if it can be cut and welded/extended ( I've no problem getting it powder coated )...and re fitting another stand...I'd have to find a very similar type ( not sure how I'd find the right spec tho' :( )...thought maybe a fellow tosser could offer up an idea.:thumb2

Attachments

• opel-frontera-sport-04.jpg
    opel-frontera-sport-04.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 468
Cut ‘n shut. Just get a piece welded in but insist that they make it from solid and turn the ends down so they fit in the existing sections. If I were you I’d ask Mikey to do it because he’s got a lathe and a welding set.

Took this today, those chocks are 12cms high :eek:.... so I'd want a minimum 10cms but then that may spoil the look a tad and old ladies would keep falling over the sidestand! :D

Attachments

• 12cms.jpg
    12cms.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 381
... and seeing as my new tank is arriving tomorrow...getting her all ready for 1st April ( when it snows :blast ). Love it. The actual tank in the photo is good enough to hang on the wall !

Attachments

• IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 477

Back
Top Bottom