Ireland Bikefest 2018 - Killarney

Status
Not open for further replies.

polecat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So is this purely a HD event or a bike fest? :nenau

Franklin Motorcycles regret to advise all our friends and customers we will not be attending Bikefest in Killarney this year.

We have been advised the Indian brand is not welcome to participate in this Irish Motorcycle Fest due to "contractual agreement "with another brand that have the "rights" to sell motorcycles and motorcycle parts.. However there are other makes exhibiting .

This to us seems a very strange decision as "competition and choice " is good for Irish consumers. Considering the brand has so much Irish heritage we also feel it is the wrong decision..

Franklin Motorcycles wish all who are attending the festival to have a wonderful time and it is a great success and hope maybe next year the organisers will see it fit to have the iconic brand of Indian Motorcycle at the festival in 2019 for all of Irish Bikers to see.

Best wishes
Franklin Motorcycles

WE WELCOME YOUR COMMENTS

"Thank you all so much for your support"

As I understand the evolution of bike fest, the FIM rally was held in Killarney in 2001 or thereabouts. The local chamber of commerce, or equivalent, noted the spend & assisted the bike fest launch. While I have never attended the event (living 30Km away) it initially was very Harley focused but has become more ecumenical over the years.
The Indian restriction suggests Harley still have a strong grip on the event - this of course reinforces my prejudice that the event would not be my cup of tea.
Strangely the local chamber have last week end put their weight behind a mountain festival; one of the key organisers is a fellow mountaineer so I attended. It was a small event but a good start & I discussed the areas for improvement with my friend. One suggestion was to have more trade involvement; can't happen he said because one outdoor retailer supported it this year on the grounds of excluding rivals & insists that this is a condition for future involvement. This is not a recipe for growth but I see a pattern here.
Although I handed the Irish Photo Rally on, the new "boss" shares my view that letting the "trade" in the door would ultimately detract from the event as the "free lunch" always has tentacles attached - the strings are OK but the tentacles around your testicles; that's another story.

I guess Harley have put their foot down this year as given our economic climate there maybe a bit more spend and 1 or 2 sales to be had. We have attended for 3 nights for the last 6 years or so and for me being Honda and BMW rider (soon to be exclusive BMW) we don't have any leaning toward Harley but they and the HOG (Harley Owners Group) do "make" the event with their big truck of demo bikes where you can just show up with your licence and go for a spin on a €30K Harley. I think about it almost as more of a Harley Fest than Bike Fest.

We go in a camper and wear generic biker black so as not to get too intimidated by all the HOG crowd ;) but obviously we can't really hang with them and talk Harley because I don't know much about them and never had one.:D It is a well run event and the most family friendly bike event I attend and there is a lot to like with being free and the bands etc for only the cost of a small premium on drinks.

So excluding Indian is not good for the overall festival from a neutral. The more to look at the better I say but I can understand their logic i.e. eliminate the competition. A commercial decision.

passed through last year when we were riding the Wild Atlantic Way, It was 80% Harley owners parked up in the town.

i Bring my family every year ,ive no interest at all in harleys but its a brilliant weekend away .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom