Running temperature

FormbyGSA

Reaction score
Hi guys purchased a 2015 GSA TE last week loving it so far but in a little concerned of the erratic coolant temperature. It seems to go from 80 to 86 constantly then rapidly cool down to 80 is this normal for these?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Hi guys purchased a 2015 GSA TE last week loving it so far but in a little concerned of the erratic coolant temperature. It seems to go from 80 to 86 constantly then rapidly cool down to 80 is this normal for these?

Totally normal, my new 2017 runs at about 86

Yes totally normal as the thermostat opens and closes In order to maintain temperature within safe range - if it gets to 100C at low speed then fan kicks in.

Completely normal, if it doesn't do this...then you have a problem, it's basically the thermostat performing exactly as they're meant too.

Thanks everyone i appreciate the response

Poor design then. It shouldn't hunt up and down like that. Sounds like a hysteresis problem.

The engine is only partly water cooled it is still mostly air-cooled - perhaps this level of hysteresis is actually necessary - I am sure BMW have done their homework.

I've got R&G ones that have been on my GSA & now current GS

Some wankers on here will tell you how they interfere with air flow and will invalidate your BMW warranty, but that's all bollocks :dabone

I've got R&G ones that have been on my GSA & now current GS

Some wankers on here will tell you how they interfere with air flow and will invalidate your BMW warranty, but that's all bollocks :dabone

They will interfere with the airflow, that is a given, by how much and how significant is debateable - one can assume that if you fit the BMW ones that they won’t be a warranty problem, other types may or may not be.

You can also assume that if a dealer transfers the guards over from one bike to another that (regardless of make) there will not be an issue with warranty :clap

Plus (regardless of make) the engine will run at the same temperature as it did when a guard wasn't fitted

You can also assume that if a dealer transfers the guards over from one bike to another that (regardless of make) there will not be an issue with warranty :clap

Plus (regardless of make) the engine will run at the same temperature as it did when a guard wasn't fitted

The only way you can be certain is to run the full range of tests including all the extreme corner cases of ambient operating etc.

If a dealer decides to do it then they accept responsibilty, it’s their call.

P.S. assumption is the mother of all cock ups.

It only holds 250 ml of coolant so that's why it's up and down all the time-- small volume doesn't take much heating/ cooling.
Slow speed work sees mine creeping up to 95° before the fan cuts in and rapidly brings it down again.

It only holds 250 ml of coolant so that's why it's up and down all the time-- small volume doesn't take much heating/ cooling.
Slow speed work sees mine creeping up to 95° before the fan cuts in and rapidly brings it down again.

250ml doesn’t have much heat capacity so that makes complete sense :)

Is that the 250ml figure is a spec from some official date sheet? It doesn’t seem very much when one considers that the bike has two,albeit small radiators and the pump and associated pipe work. It’s less than half a pint - there’s more than that, surely?
Alan R

Back
Top Bottom