R1100GS - Tick over hiccups

brut33

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm trying to establish if the following is the start of something breaking down in the electrical system etc.

On tick over the engine is steady apart from the occasional jump when it appears to miss a beat.
This is every ten seconds or so.
Starting isn't an issue and the bike pulls well on acceleration. Overall the bike is running great apart from this
small tick over issue I noticed the other day.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

My 1150 did the same and it was the plug lead shorting out. Fire it up in the dark and look out for blue arcs off the leads when it coughs.

My 1150 did the same and it was the plug lead shorting out. Fire it up in the dark and look out for blue arcs off the leads when it coughs.

Although it is arcing across from the HT lead, this is probably caused by too big a gap at the plug or a faulty plug. The HT is taking the easiest way out.

I checked my HT leads/connections etc and it was no different. My next move was to replace the leads. However I noticed the tickover is now steady and nothing has been replaced.
The only conclusion that comes to mind is the petrol.
I recently filled up with 97 octane as opposed to my previous fill up at Asda.
I don't often use supermarkets but maybe this was the cause.
I forgot to mention that I hadn't ridden the bike for two months prior to noticing the dicky tickover.

Back
Top Bottom