Another "Classic" BMW that was overlooked

BillN

Reaction score
BMW R850R

said to be underpowered and everyone wanted the R1100R

£7,500 when new

I loved mine - lovely to ride on a sunny day, (as it is today in SW France)

Here's mine from way back - where are you now S36 APA?

The best colour scheme

R850R_1.jpg

R850R_2.jpg

R850R_3.jpg

Showing as being taxed until 1st April and MOT'ed - so probably being used as a winter hack somewhere ;)

By way of some balance.....I hated mine.

I probably hated it because it was gutless compared to my previous R1150GS and R1200GS. Even the bloke that sold it to me said 'It's an 80 MPH sort of a bike' and he was right. It was well made though and I really tried to like it but life's too short to ride things that you don't really like. Flogged it and bought a 700 Transalp which was a great bike.

If you are looking for something similar (ish) here you go...

BMW R1100R ROADSTER ONLY 13353 MILES YEAR 2000 | eBay

After sorting out a few issues, I have now covered several hundred miles on the 850R I bought off here late last year. I found the seat a bit shite as you sat in a sort of cup, with no room to move a bit fore and aft. A Corbin has sorted that. From a power perspective it feels little different from the 1100GSs I have owned. I agree that it seems happiest sitting at 80 to 85, but so did the 1100. How fast do you want to go? I have always found this to be a comfy touring speed.

Hired one in France 10 years ago; it was their hack and had done lots of miles. Loved it to bits - fast enough, smooth (all those miles) and handled well. Visited the same company 2 years ago and it is still going strong!

Always fancied one - the eBay one above is pricey but looks good under the dirt....

Would the R1100R be better?

After sorting out a few issues, I have now covered several hundred miles on the 850R I bought off here late last year. I found the seat a bit shite as you sat in a sort of cup, with no room to move a bit fore and aft. A Corbin has sorted that. From a power perspective it feels little different from the 1100GSs I have owned. I agree that it seems happiest sitting at 80 to 85, but so did the 1100. How fast do you want to go? I have always found this to be a comfy touring speed.

It's not that I wanted to go much faster, it's just that it seemed that 80MPH ish was it's maximum practical cruising speed. It felt like it was working hard which is pretty gutless for 850cc....IMHO.

It's not that I wanted to go much faster, it's just that it seemed that 80MPH ish was it's maximum practical cruising speed. It felt like it was working hard which is pretty gutless for 850cc....IMHO.

My verdict for k75's against 100's as well... You end up using the engine harder and saving bugger all in fuel...

I had one on loan from Lind a coupe of times when my original Adv was being worked on under warranty. I loved the engine - in fact every 850 I have ridden has been a really smooth and pleasant ride. Since I have a 34" inside leg, the riding position made me look like a Labrador trying to fuck a tennis ball, but otherwise a really nice bike.

If they'd done an 850GS Adv I would have considered it, as I rarely use the upper register of my bike's perfomance...

I had one on loan from Lind a coupe of times when my original Adv was being worked on under warranty. I loved the engine - in fact every 850 I have ridden has been a really smooth and pleasant ride. Since I have a 34" inside leg, the riding position made me look like a Labrador trying to fuck a tennis ball, but otherwise a really nice bike.

If they'd done an 850GS Adv I would have considered it, as I rarely use the upper register of my bike's perfomance...

I had an 850GS which in truth was as nice to ride as the "big" R1150GSA ........ in fact I spent loads of money adding bits to the GSA but in the end it was just too heavy for my old body
But I have always preferred the BMW 798cc on the older airheads

850GS.jpg

73 v 80bhp apparently. Not a massive difference
77 v 93 Nm torque. More significant, but I can’t say they feel that much different.

I have an R850GS, and it really isn't a quick bike. Then again I sold my ZZR1100 to buy it because it was a quick bike and my licence is now more poorly than it should be, so I wanted a bike I could enjoy riding 'slowly'.
Real world daily usage and the 850 is fine. Quick enough for performance not to be an issue (one or two up) and it feels nice to ride at sensible speeds in our traffic and camera infested corner of the world, which is the real point. As you know it has a lot of character and with the Remus exhaust sounds great, I'm told the engine is smoother than an 1100 but have never ridden the bigger brother.

To be honest, if performance is an issue then I wouldn't buy an 1100GS either.

Same weight as an 1100 but with less power, not normally a good thing. .

But with diferent final drive ratios its performance up to about 80 is barely different from the 1100 or 1150. I had mine and an 1150 for a few years, when a mate borrowed my 850 we had an afternoon in the Bedfordshire countryside with me on my 1150 and I was properly thrashing it to keep up. Kind of put the first nail in the 1150’s coffin. Couldn’t see the point in keeping it over the 850 when the 850 was about half the value.
Mines fitted with a baglux tank cover, so no one knows it’s an 850 unless I tell them, yet I often get comments on how well ‘those old 1100’s go’.
And I can only agree with Uncon’s final comment. When I want more speed I’ve a Pan and a Blackbird in the garage:)

Attachments

• B776D31A-5C72-46DF-B217-37CE2C3E8011.jpg
    B776D31A-5C72-46DF-B217-37CE2C3E8011.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 631
It's a bit shallow I know but I could never get over the look of that 3 spoke rear wheel.

Biggest and best change you can make with an 850 is to dump that lump of an exhaust and get the 2 part Remus and do a really "Good" service setting End float and TPS etc

Great wee bike especially on the coast road from Larne, Max's was like a supermoto, when some smart arse said I'll wait to order breakfast when you get there Mr ZX10R didn;t look so fugging smug when I was standing waiting for him with my helmet and gear off :green gri

It's a bit shallow I know but I could never get over the look of that 3 spoke rear wheel.
Ive actually got a pair of the 3 spoke alloys ready to fit to my 850, just need a disc carrier for the rear one. Not convinced how it’ll look, but as my current Trail Attacks are just about out, I may be trying the alloys soon.

I must be more shallow then you - I think the look of the whole bike is hideous. I doubt that will ever be a "classic"

I've just picked this one up 1 owner from new and 19 BMW services under her belt with every invoice from new. Also had a 850GS and always found power plenty unless 2 up with luggage.

Attachments

• IMG_2258.JPG
    IMG_2258.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 167

Back
Top Bottom