US to UK shipping via Germany question

goat78

Reaction score
So got a trip half planned for this Summer but having issues sorting logistics for shipping a bike. We're trying to sort shipping out of Alaska in Sept. We've been told by multiple companies its really difficult to ship out of Anchorage but easy to ship into. A company has a suggestion that they can fly our bike to Bremerhaven in Germany.
My question is are there any paperwork issues with this? On the face of it it would seem fairly easy for me to get to Bremerhaven, pick the bike up, ride to the nearest port and ferry it home as long as I have V5 and passport but do I need anything else (carne etc.)?

So got a trip half planned for this Summer but having issues sorting logistics for shipping a bike. We're trying to sort shipping out of Alaska in Sept. We've been told by multiple companies its really difficult to ship out of Anchorage but easy to ship into. A company has a suggestion that they can fly our bike to Bremerhaven in Germany.
My question is are there any paperwork issues with this? On the face of it it would seem fairly easy for me to get to Bremerhaven, pick the bike up, ride to the nearest port and ferry it home as long as I have V5 and passport but do I need anything else (carne etc.)?

Should be no different than shipping to the UK - in that it is within the EU...

Paging Sgt Bilko!

Hello........:thumb

Shipping in to Alaska is no real problem but shipping out of Alaska is next to impossible. You have to have an account with an airline and have an agent for this and bizarrely enough there are none at the airport. The strange thing is is if you sit at the airport, you will see freighter aircraft from all over the world coming in and out. I'm slightly suspicious that any company can say they can do as I've been trying for years to try and do this and have talked to all the right people in Anchorage.

When we were last there in 2016, a Spanish lad rode into our hotel on his Gixer hoping to ship to Russia or Korea. I spent a day with him trying to sort out shipping and it couldn't be done so he had to ride all the way back to Vancouver which was 5 days!!

The only real option I know of is there is a trucking company in Whitehorse Canada who will crate your bike to Vancouver for you and then it's easy enough to get home from there. The problem with that is Whitehorse is a couple of days ride down from Anchorage.

Having said all that, a pal of mine from Anchorage got his KTM across here last year via Vancouver so I'll ask him how he did it. He works for a shipping line so maybe he cheated the system to Vancouver but if you give me a a day or so I'll see how he did it.

Hello........:thumb

Shipping in to Alaska is no real problem but shipping out of Alaska is next to impossible. You have to have an account with an airline and have an agent for this and bizarrely enough there are none at the airport. The strange thing is is if you sit at the airport, you will see freighter aircraft from all over the world coming in and out. I'm slightly suspicious that any company can say they can do as I've been trying for years to try and do this and have talked to all the right people in Anchorage.

When we were last there in 2016, a Spanish lad rode into our hotel on his Gixer hoping to ship to Russia or Korea. I spent a day with him trying to sort out shipping and it couldn't be done so he had to ride all the way back to Vancouver which was 5 days!!

The only real option I know of is there is a trucking company in Whitehorse Canada who will crate your bike to Vancouver for you and then it's easy enough to get home from there. The problem with that is Whitehorse is a couple of days ride down from Anchorage.

Having said all that, a pal of mine from Anchorage got his KTM across here last year via Vancouver so I'll ask him how he did it. He works for a shipping line so maybe he cheated the system to Vancouver but if you give me a a day or so I'll see how he did it.

HI Sgt Bilko

We've been rapidly finding out about the problems, unfortunately our flights are already booked, we've looked at rearranging them to do start our trip in Alaska but its very expensive to do this.
Alaska Express gave me the price to get the bike to Germany, as they have lots of shipments going there and can consolidate the bike with other shipments so works out about $1250. Motofreight gave us the Whitehorse option but its expensive and adds a couple of days to get the bike there and then leave us miles from anchorage where our flight leaves. We were told a company couldn't transport a foreign bike across the Canadian border with out us but if you wouldn't mind asking your friend it would be greatly appreciated.

OK, I've exhausted all my contacts up there who all say it's not possible to get a bike out of Alaska direct to Europe. The consensus of opinion is that Alaska Express can only do as it's not a US registered bike but they aren't sure how they will do it paperwork wise.

Anyway, I can get it crated up there and trucked down to Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton for you if you need to get it back from there but it's going to cost a fair bit more than the cost you have quoted to Germany. If Alaska Express can promise you that they can do it, I would go with it. I would be very interested in how it works as I'd love to start and finish a trip in Alaska without having to run down to mainland USA for shipping home. So many fantastic roads up there.

We'll be up there at the end of July and be riding South so I guess there is a chance we may meet up somewhere. If you need any help with planning, places to see or hotels let me know as I'm on my 9th trip to the greatest state in the Union :thumb

Paperwork wise on collection in germany, I suspect you will just need your V5 and passport but check with the shipper. You won't need a Carnet or anything like that. Your best way home will be to ride down to the Hook of Holland and ship home to Harwich. Easy peasy....:thumb

This is not my knowledge just came across it, if it actually works.

In the end, and after calling much around, we found that Air Canada had an offer called Fly My Bike running during the summer from 3 or 4 locations in Canada, to several countries in Europe. Ended up choosing the simplest alternative, flying my buddy and the GS from Calgary to Frankfurt. The cost was the most attractive part of this deal... paid $1200 US for his ticket, and $250 more for the bike to travel. Another rider arriving the opposite way offered the shipping pallet at no-charge, and the company that does the inspection prior to loading waived their fee (they like these crazy bastards I guess).

From there on, my friend went around northern europe, down to the Balkans, thru Italy and met me in Spain... he is now in Northern Africa.

This is not my knowledge just came across it, if it actually works.

In the end, and after calling much around, we found that Air Canada had an offer called Fly My Bike running during the summer from 3 or 4 locations in Canada, to several countries in Europe. Ended up choosing the simplest alternative, flying my buddy and the GS from Calgary to Frankfurt. The cost was the most attractive part of this deal... paid $1200 US for his ticket, and $250 more for the bike to travel. Another rider arriving the opposite way offered the shipping pallet at no-charge, and the company that does the inspection prior to loading waived their fee (they like these crazy bastards I guess).

From there on, my friend went around northern europe, down to the Balkans, thru Italy and met me in Spain... he is now in Northern Africa.

We are talking about coming out of Alaska mate. Shipping out of Canada or the lower 48 isn't an issue.

Cheers sgt bilco. Really appreciate you taking the time to find out. Alaska express seem confident as they ship to Germany regularly and have given me the details of their agent there, they've been very helpful so we'll bite the bullet and risk it. Nothing ventured and all that. Will update when we know how well it works out. I'm sure I'll be in touch for advice and hopefully meet up with you on our trip in the wrong direction.

Cheers sgt bilco. Really appreciate you taking the time to find out. Alaska express seem confident as they ship to Germany regularly and have given me the details of their agent there, they've been very helpful so we'll bite the bullet and risk it. Nothing ventured and all that. Will update when we know how well it works out. I'm sure I'll be in touch for advice and hopefully meet up with you on our trip in the wrong direction.

You have mail Dominic.

Back
Top Bottom