Full pannier wrap or Humvee panels?

Ash700

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m considering either a full pannier wrap or the Humvee, pre-cut, vinyl panels. I just wondered if anyone would be able to give me an idea of how much a full wrap might cost and maybe recommend any good wrapping firms in the Essex area.

If I go for the Humvee, I’ll fit them myself. Strangely, I sort of like the fine line of aluminium still on view at the pannier edges, which is what you get with the Humvee panels but, on the other hand, it gives the game away and it’s clear that they are just stuck on vinyl panels. I could very well be overthinking it...! :blast

Anyway, if anyone has an idea of the cost of a full wrap for both panniers and rear box, I’d very grateful.

Cheers. :thumb2

I’m considering either a full pannier wrap or the Humvee, pre-cut, vinyl panels. I just wondered if anyone would be able to give me an idea of how much a full wrap might cost and maybe recommend any good wrapping firms in the Essex area.

If I go for the Humvee, I’ll fit them myself. Strangely, I sort of like the fine line of aluminium still on view at the pannier edges, which is what you get with the Humvee panels but, on the other hand, it gives the game away and it’s clear that they are just stuck on vinyl panels. I could very well be overthinking it...! :blast

Anyway, if anyone has an idea of the cost of a full wrap for both panniers and rear box, I’d very grateful.

Cheers. :thumb2

Had a full set done by Boss Dog in Redhill. £250!! They've done a good job to be fair and I prefer it to the DIY panels. It's a pig of a job according to the people there who've done a few sets

Think Burnsey666 done the wrapping a short while ago....

Two 6’s - the other fella was more of a devil than me - just :D

I also considered both, in fact three options, as I was aware you can now purchase black OEM panniers...

Decided I liked the idea of two ‘looks’, so went for HumVee.

Mark/rip a wrapped pannier and you re-wrap it and as has been said, around £200 is the norm, £250 inc a top box, for a professional firm to do it.

Humvee is dead easy and a lot cheaper to rip off and go back to ali, or replace if damaged.

I still think a wrapped pannier looks like a wrapped pannier, so the HumVee is cooler for me.

I must say though, if you go for the wrap, don’t go matt, as you see EVERY mark.

Last edited:
ive went for the 'clear' Humvee wraps - actually its the one with the 'map' detail on it.

My panniers were brand new in December and i quickly realised that they are bare aluminium and you just have to look at them funny and they will mark - and while some will like that and not mind the weathered look, i wanted them to stay looking smart.

the Humvee kit is high quality, well laid out and after you've done the the test pieces and the bottom pieces, its fairly straight forward. I quite enjoyed doing it one day between Christmas and New year.

I'll see if i can find a pic. we all like pics

Wondered why I couldn’t find you.

Thanks for info and guide prices. Funnily enough, I was thinking about £200 (ish) for a pro wrap.

I’m quite competent when it comes to doing things and I’ve been looking into this wrapping task. The shape of the panniers looks fairly straight forward, the problem is that there’s no easy way to remove all the external latches, catches, rivets etc. I’m now beginning to favour the HV set, just because there’s no issues with all these extra fiddly bits.

I’m sure if BMW made these panniers in choice of anodised colours, they’d sell well! Must be a reason!

I also considered both, in fact three options, as I was aware you can now purchase black OEM panniers...

Decided I liked the idea of two ‘looks’, so went for HumVee.

Mark/rip a wrapped pannier and you re-wrap it and as has been said, around £200 is the norm, £250 inc a top box, for a professional firm to do it.

Humvee is dead easy and a lot cheaper to rip off and go back to ali, or replace if damaged.

I still think a wrapped pannier looks like a wrapped pannier, so the HumVee is cooler for me.

I must say though, if you go for the wrap, don’t go matt, as you see EVERY mark.

They actually look really good. I would go that route as it looks a good contrast with the silver and black. Are the kits expensive ?

I also used the Humvee kit - after the initial apprehension about doing it the job was a piece of piss.

They actually look really good. I would go that route as it looks a good contrast with the silver and black. Are the kits expensive ?

Pannier kit is £60 and £45 for the box. Yes, I like the silver edging too. Might make them a bit more visible during the daytime.
Reflective stickers for nighttime.

+1 for the Humvee panel wraps. Never done it before, but took my time and happy with the result. I too like the Ali edging.

Attachments

• 051AFFA1-9D04-47A0-8EEB-F24F7BAA68C7.jpg
    051AFFA1-9D04-47A0-8EEB-F24F7BAA68C7.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 725
  • 5454F7D7-2D6C-418E-93B8-840730B9141B.jpg
    5454F7D7-2D6C-418E-93B8-840730B9141B.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 705
I’m in BMW now and the new all black panniers still have quite a bit of exposed aluminium...

Reminds me of those gay looking Harley leather goods without tassels :D

I’ve no idea - sure there’s a technical answer, but you won’t get that from me.

The weld points are black too if that explains anything.

+1 for the Humvee panel wraps. Never done it before, but took my time and happy with the result. I too like the Ali edging.

I’m going to give that a shot too . I just don’t like the way the aluminium boxes tarnish and age as soon as they are out in the rain.
Any tips for fitting the wraps or anything to look out for ?

I’m going to give that a shot too . I just don’t like the way the aluminium boxes tarnish and age as soon as they are out in the rain.
Any tips for fitting the wraps or anything to look out for ?

There is a video on youtube, but seriously, spray bottle of soapy water and it really is easy.

Always wet your fingers too and use an ice scraper or similar to push out liquid and smooth out bubbles, but if it has a ‘hard’ edge, it will mark the wrap, so I used one with a rag over the edge.

Final blast with a hairdryer at the end and check all edges down and off you go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyDvYaHIdgo

as above - the video on youtube is quite good.
Use PLENTY of water - including on the outside when the wrap is in place as you need to lubricate the squeegee as it travels across the vinyl.

heres a pic of the "clear with map print" - it won't be to everyones taste but i like it:

40839441131_e8d3481b3e_k.jpg

40797594582_eeb1fa1319_k.jpg

(the GB sticker is added on top)

On the Bike:
IMG_4016 by Graham Kerr, on Flickr

The bit i was most worried about was the recessed box at the bottom with "BMW" embossed within it.

I contacted a member on here who had done an amazing job and they told me not to worry and it would work out ok - you just have to keep working the soapy water out from the area.

They were right - it wasn't the trouble i was expecting - it went fairly well to apply them.

Back
Top Bottom