Fuel Range...Bit of a long shot

I picked up my GS exclusive last week and to date the max mileage reads around 213 when I fill up

had my gs rallye with tft out over the week end. brimmed up showing 160 miles. my mate was on a 2017 gs also no tft he is showing 225 miles

had my gs rallye with tft out over the week end. brimmed up showing 160 miles. my mate was on a 2017 gs also no tft he is showing 225 miles

225 miles is about bang on for a GS, believe it or not depending on the petrol you buy, you can get a different reading, I had the same problem with my van, bought cheapo petrol, got a really lower reading on the range, then when bought good quality petrol range went right up,

225 miles is about bang on for a GS, believe it or not depending on the petrol you buy, you can get a different reading, I had the same problem with my van, bought cheapo petrol, got a really lower reading on the range, then when bought good quality petrol range went right up,

Thats bizzare, I can easily imagine that the bike will travel further on better fuel , that I get, but how the hell could the bike know you've put better fuel in it :confused::confused: Does it just realise, after you've travelled a few miles that it can lean the mixture off a bit more and then extend the range? Because I cant ee how it could do it right from fill up? :nenau

Thats bizzare, I can easily imagine that the bike will travel further on better fuel , that I get, but how the hell could the bike know you've put better fuel in it :confused::confused: Does it just realise, after you've travelled a few miles that it can lean the mixture off a bit more and then extend the range? Because I cant ee how it could do it right from fill up? :nenau

It might have not been from the straight fill up, but after a few miles it was noticeable, God knows with all the electronics on board, but my van certainly new about it, might try the experience with the bike, put in some cheapo supermarket fuel, and see what happens, but that will be next week now, still got half a tank left.

As I gathered and experienced myself, before the relevant update, range reading for a 2017.5/2018 R1200 GS was maxing out at 261km / 160miles (260 miles on the GSA if I recall correctly). The number looked like a hard coded max value for when the petrol sensor were picking a full tank.

After update the range value seems to be an actual calculation derived from the last mean consumption of the bike and the actual fuel level of the tank. Works as soon as the engine is started but I somehow doubt it actually takes into account the quality of fuel inside.

As I gathered and experienced myself, before the relevant update, range reading for a 2017.5/2018 R1200 GS was maxing out at 261km / 160miles (260 miles on the GSA if I recall correctly). The number looked like a hard coded max value for when the petrol sensor were picking a full tank.

After update the range value seems to be an actual calculation derived from the last mean consumption of the bike and the actual fuel level of the tank. Works as soon as the engine is started but I somehow doubt it actually takes into account the quality of fuel inside.

OK that makes sense to me and is the way it should work to be really useful. Looks like I need an update - will have to hassle my dealer :)

Do BMW update the TFT as part of the service?
Mine went in for 6000 mile service last week and does not appear to be updated, even though I had complained about connectivity issues.

Do BMW update the TFT as part of the service?
Mine went in for 6000 mile service last week and does not appear to be updated, even though I had complained about connectivity issues.

Had my 600 mile service done yesterday and the service manager asked me to book it in separately and get a courtesy bike as they need the bike for 2 days to be safe as although it's only supposed to take 2 hours to do they've had problems with installing the software update- the longest taking 10 hours!

Had the software update for the TFT screen and can confirm it does fix the 160 mile bug for fuel range. The update took around 2hrs. Hope this helps out anyone else with the same query. Thanks everyone for the replies and help. Cheers Kerry

Had the software update for the TFT screen and can confirm it does fix the 160 mile bug for fuel range. The update took around 2hrs. Hope this helps out anyone else with the same query. Thanks everyone for the replies and help. Cheers Kerry

May I ask where you got the update done.

My local dealer didn't even mention it existed.

Mine’s been in since first thing Friday morning. Granted there were some other bits to do but it’s the 21st century. Are they still running dialup internet in Berlin? Strange as mine is only 3 weeks old and the version appears to be current when I looked last week. Fuel range indicator was OK. Perhaps there is another update?

My dealer didnt know the update existed until i persisted about it with them. When they checked they realised there was an update. Got mine done at the Bristol dealer

mines in tomorrow belfast hopefully will sort fuel gauge and adjustment for dynamic pro etc and hopefully comms will work also

My bike is a week old, filled up today, on the side stand, and range showed 195ml after a few minutes riding.

My bike is a week old, filled up today, on the side stand, and range showed 195ml after a few minutes riding.[/QUOTE

iwas showing 161 mates bike showed 225

Mine would have shown over 200 if it had been filled to the brim. As I left petrol station it read 160ish but then climbed to 195 in the next 5mins or so. My old XR always read 155 after a fill but didn’t start counting down for at least 30mile.

Back
Top Bottom