Cigarette Type Socket That Plugs Into Headstock Canbus Plug

Suppose the only issue with phones is that lack of touch screen access with gloves on

I’ve used a iPhone with co pilot all over Europe, you download the maps to the phone prior to the trip so no data charges.

Uses combination of GPS and cellular phone mast data so works everywhere.

Just need a waterproof case and a means of charging, with USB sockets I have just permanently attached charge leads using self amalgamating tape, totally waterproof lasted for years.

The phones processor is so much quicker than Garmin so reroutes instantly phone screen is clear, touch screen not as good as Garmin but generally just works,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve used a iPhone with co pilot all over Europe, you download the maps to the phone prior to the trip so no data charges.

Uses combination of GPS and cellular phone mast data so works everywhere.

Just need a waterproof case and a means of charging, with USB sockets I have just permanently attached charge leads using self amalgamating tape, totally waterproof lasted for years.

The phones processor is so much quicker than Garmin so reroutes instantly phone screen is clear, touch screen not as good as Garmin but generally just works,

I must take a look at Copilot as a lot of people recommend it. The only problem is I have to connect the phone to a PC to download waypoint and routes. Copilot can't use Dropbox.

I have never used co pilot with a PC, I’m not sure if it can utilise other people’s routes.

I do all the routing on the phone, use a start point and a finish, then drop waypoints so it takes you where you want to go. You can then save and load the route

I have never used co pilot with a PC, I’m not sure if it can utilise other people’s routes.

I do all the routing on the phone, use a start point and a finish, then drop waypoints so it takes you where you want to go. You can then save and load the route

I had a quick look last night. I took a route (saved as a .trp file) I created in Tyre which was saved in Dropbox and sync'd/available on the phone. I could save it from Dropbox to the Copilot folder on the phone. For some reason it was saved as a .txt file so I had to remove the .txt so the extension was .trp. Once I did that I could load it into Copilot with no issues.

As regards wireless chargers go, I might take a chance on one of these IP67 chargers to see if they do the job. It's small enough to attach between the cradle and phone and of course splash proof.

Qi wireless Charger Charging Pad, EnergyPad 0.14inch thin Wireless Charge, Standard Charge for iPhone X/ 8/ 8 Plus, and Fast Wireless Charging for Samsung Galaxy Note 8/ S8/ S8+/ S7, USB Cable (White) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077M667HP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_4PJRAbET7C86W

A high power usb/cigarette adapter will be needed and I think this might do (further reading required):

Anker Power Drive 2 Elite Compact 24 W Car Charger Dual Port Car Charger with PowerIQ Technology for Apple, Samsung, Other iOS And Android Smart Phones and Tablets https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077Q8RHDR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_lUJRAbCRYV5FB

I used my samsung S7 as sat nav in Europe last year with Google maps downloaded in advance for the areas we intended to go. It did the job well even in torrential rain. It was mounted on a cheapo (£9.99) X mount on the bars which has a built in usb charger.
Some things I noticed...ended up with screen burn from static bar at bottom of map app...if we wandered off downloaded area and used 4G charger couldn't keep up with power drain...phone got very warm never failed though.
Still prefer phone over dedicated Satnav but will be getting a second older gen water resistant phone to do that job and keep my main phone in my pocket.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Some good info thanks. I have the Galaxy S9+ so should be waterproof enough. Have various navigation apps download and the offline maps

For anyone interested here's the MK1 version of the bike wireless charger. It feeds off the Canbus plug under the dash (commonly used for powering a GPS) and into a Powerlet cigarette accessory socket (full size not the Hella/DIN size). Used this cable as had it lying around the garage for about 10 years. In the accessory socket I have the below charger and attached to the charging pad linked below. This combination is giving me "fast charging" according to my Galaxy S9+.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A4ZGLZ8/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01KJL4XNY/

IMG-20180401-WA0006-L.jpg

As mentioned this is just the MK1 as the charging pad itself is not waterproof. I did take it apart but the PCB wider than the phone so I can't use it (with it being wider than the phone I couldn't clamp both down at the same time - I need the pad to be smaller than the phone).

The MK2 version I'll either pick up a waterproof charging pad or one that is smaller than the phone and waterproof it.

Back
Top Bottom