Africa Twin Front End Knocking

crotchrocket

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Calling all keyboard mechanics :D . What’s your thoughts. Floating discs feel within tolerance to me. Can’t feel any knocking in the head bearings. Doesn’t do it when I compress the brakes at stand still so don’t think it’s sticky pistons and doesn’t do It when bouncing the suspension standing still......... brake pads sticking some how??

Makes a noise over bumps too. Only just started doing it. Hopefully you can see the video below.

My initial thought was slack in the head bearings, but the noise on the vid sounds like it could be the brake pads moving around within the caliper body. Have you pulled the pads to check them out. Are the pins/whatever H use intact? Assume the calipers themselves are bolted up securely - shit can happen after a tyre change.

Otherwise, if the simple stuff checks out OK, I'm with Timolgra.

have you checked out the thread on africa twin fork bush premature wear?

Thanks chaps!

I do feel like its coming from lower down and not the forks, as bouncing it about without the brakes on doesn't make the noise. I've not had a chance to take anything apart yet, this was last night so I rode the S1000R to work today. I've sent the same to Doble's honda and will see what they say too.

When you're pulling the bike backwards and applying the brake that looks like an awful lot of free sag, again pointing to a broken fork spring. Hopefully I'm wrong :)

Instead of pushing the bike forward and then backward, does it happen when you push the bike forward and then push the bike forward again?

Get it straight back to the dealer, why mess about when you are unsure and it’s under warranty, wasn’t this the bike stuck in mud up to the calipers the other week, could be a cause.

Well, after stripping and cleaning callipers, head scratching etc, turned out the noise was the front engine mount coming loose!! Was being amplified by the skid plate. Front bolts torqued up again and all good, will get some new locktite !

Blimey, is that straight from the factory or has the bolt been loosened to fit something and not torqued up properly?

No no, i've interfered with it fitting a couple of different crash bars. Was torqued up properly, but has worked loose. Needs some locktite

Back
Top Bottom