1200 GS, best head protection.. Covers or Bars?

If you read the link I put up before, it talks about engine bars exerting pressure onto the engine cases in placed and directions that they were not designed to take?.. good point I guess?.. so think the covers are the way to go for me...
what else would hit in a slide?.. not much you can do with bar ends, but are the axle bobbin things worth getting also (not that I'm planning laying it down but you know where I'm coming from) :)

Just looked.. you can get the BMW ones for £163 a set.. maybe the way to go or are X-heads proven any better?... (these are the Stainless steel ones BTW)

But is a cheaper to buy a new plastic bit?... actually, does the same go for rocker covers from e-bay?

no need for bobbins on the front then?

Just looked.. you can get the BMW ones for £163 a set.. maybe the way to go or are X-heads proven any better?... (these are the Stainless steel ones BTW)

As in my earlier post, this was enough to convince me of the real world protection of the BMW covers

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8xvUoSzi394

Anything more than that and you’ll be worrying about more than rocker covers

But is a cheaper to buy a new plastic bit?... actually, does the same go for rocker covers from e-bay?

no need for bobbins on the front then?

It’s not so much the cost of a plastic insert or even a rocker cover but if you’re pissing oil in the middle of Spain, Italy or wherever you are in poo pond without your water wings

yup... wonder what the rocker cover was like under the guard?.. I suppose the idea of the x-heads are they leave the rocker cover undamaged, where as these, you will get the guard hitting the cover and at least marking it?... that said, I do like the looks a bit better than the big black cover sat on the head?... pay's your money and all that.....

Have I seen BMW plastic guards as well as SS ones?.. can't find them now?

The Machine Art Moto ones are very good...

2018-02-20%2012.59.40%20-%20Copy.jpg

Well I fitted recently Wunderlich guards that I bought from Chrome Cruisers in Bournemouth and they are great, simple assembly and they are matching my Rallye B-) .
95f5941ccdd4a6cfac762c7f29a3c553.jpg

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Machine art ones look well... and bars look good on yours, but not sure they would look quote as good on mine TBH.. will see what I can find on line.. Thanks..

yup... wonder what the rocker cover was like under the guard?.. I suppose the idea of the x-heads are they leave the rocker cover undamaged, where as these, you will get the guard hitting the cover and at least marking it?... that said, I do like the looks a bit better than the big black cover sat on the head?... pay's your money and all that.....

Have I seen BMW plastic guards as well as SS ones?.. can't find them now?

Managed to drop mine on its left side whilst I was stood on its right side (don’t ask). It went down with a right bang, but damage was limited to a scuff on the hand guard and some very light scuffs to the X Head plastic cover. Absolutely no signs of any damage to the cyl head rocker cover. However I had to reseat the main fixing bolt, as it developed a slight oil weep. Simply backed off and re torqued.

yes.. think the Stainless BMW ones would crush into the head and mark it...

But have I seen plastic BMW ones similar (just maybe not as big) as the x-heads?

I put the SW motech bars on my 2016 GS and "product tested" them on both sides on tarmac :blast A bit of a rub down and some satin black paint and you couldn't tell the bike had been dropped. The cylinder heads were undamaged. However if you intend using your bike on uneven surfaces off road then the covers would be the better option IMO. But like most I don't so the bars work well for me :beerjug:

yes.. think the Stainless BMW ones would crush into the head and mark it...

But have I seen plastic BMW ones similar (just maybe not as big) as the x-heads?

The BMW ones have a big hard rubber pad inside, unlikely to mark the head in a small drop, but still better than a cracked cover leaking oil.

I prefer the BMW stainless ones , look good and will do there job in a slow spill. I’ve heard rumours the bars can damaged the mount points and frame when they go down, so the Bike would be written off !

Agree.. so if the BMW ones have a pad inside I think that is best for me.. I will look into getting some... do They ever have sales on these type of items?

Agree.. so if the BMW ones have a pad inside I think that is best for me.. I will look into getting some... do They ever have sales on these type of items?

How do the BMW ones fair in the drop test onto concrete like the Machineart Moto man did in that video of the X-heads? If you're satisfied they did just as well or better, then there's your answer. If you can't find a similar test result, what are you basing your choice on? Aesthetics?

yes.. aesthetics.. but also not really bothered about the drop test.. its more the slide down the road.. and the BMW ones appear to do well in that

My 2015 GS was accidentally knocked over in a pub car park by a (clumsy!) fellow rider. The car park was paved with small stones, and one of these punctured the valve cover which is surprisingly thin - much like a tin can. The temporary fix was a bit of gaffer tape to keep the oil in. A replacement cover cost about £180 (!!). I fitted the Machine Art covers in the hope that they will prevent a similar incident in future.

Back
Top Bottom