1200 GS, best head protection.. Covers or Bars?

beaver

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking to get some protection on the new machine and wondering which way to go?

Are the covers best or crash bars.. are any of the cheaper bars good from Poland etc?

I'd like to be able to service the bike without removing if possable like I could with my BMW twin cam bars...

Whats best to buy?

MachineArt X heads....
You Tube will show how effective they are...

And then whatever bars you want if you still want bars..

Heed crash bars are great, much better than covers in my opinion . Also a great price Beaver.

Beware of the replacement bolts supplied with the X heads they are of poor quality, I had 2 snap off despite torquing to the correct values, I know of others who have experienced the same, the X heads look great but they are not for me.

Beware of the replacement bolts supplied with the X heads they are of poor quality, I had 2 snap off despite torquing to the correct values, I know of others who have experienced the same, the X heads look great but they are not for me.

Yeah. I had the same thing happen to me. Bolt sheered off inside the engine, was a bit of a nightmare to get out. Even though they sent me replacement bolts I don't dare try fitting them again.

Thanks guy's.. great info.. will get some X-heads .. :)

Yeah. I had the same thing happen to me. Bolt sheered off inside the engine, was a bit of a nightmare to get out. Even though they sent me replacement bolts I don't dare try fitting them again.

Thanks guy's.. great info.. will get some X-heads .. :)

I think you'll be very happy with your decision Beaver. To me, they look so much better than iron work, but then they're doing a similar but different job.

I'm not sure what went wrong for the blokes above who sheared bolts, because the torque setting involves very little pressure. Follow the tightening instructions correctly and ensure you're familiar with what signal your torque wrench gives as you reach the value set. Feel for the setting being reached from the start - it's surprisingly light, possibly very surprising if you're used to "nipping things up". So light you may think it's not there yet, (or that it will come loose) and keep going. Don't do that. :)

I can highly recommend the BMW covers.
I just dropped it whilst trying to squeeze it into the garage and not a mark on them.
Surprised how easy it was to pick up aswell.

Had the BMW head covers on my 2015 TE, I like them, they look better than engine bars but never dropped it so can’t say how well they protect in a fall.

Dropped mine at a T junction 2 up, got my left trouser leg caught on the peg or something and down we went

Slight scratch on the plastic, nothing to worry about, it’s replaceable if needs be :thumb2

Been searching YouTube for a video I’ve seen but can’t find it :nenau a guy doing a review when his borrowed GS falls off the stand, which is enough to puncture the rocker cover and piss oil everywhere :blast

That’s why I got covers on mine when I bought it :nod

Back
Top Bottom