1200 GS, best head protection.. Covers or Bars?

Last year, I fitted my X-heads exactly as it said in the instructions. They fitted exactly as the instructions suggested they would. No issue with weak bolts, no trouble with torque settings. Was there an early production problem perhaps?

I was watching a video recently though, where the protagonist explained that the correct torque was essential for the bolts in this part of the project, so he would ensure that he gave them the right setting on the wrench and then "just a little more to snug them up". I wonder how many others think along those lines? Certainly a local tyre fitter did - no idea what I was on about when I asked him not to continue tightening once his torque wrench clicked.

Last year, I fitted my X-heads exactly as it said in the instructions. They fitted exactly as the instructions suggested they would. No issue with weak bolts, no trouble with torque settings. Was there an early production problem perhaps?

I was watching a video recently though, where the protagonist explained that the correct torque was essential for the bolts in this part of the project, so he would ensure that he gave them the right setting on the wrench and then "just a little more to snug them up". I wonder how many others think along those lines? Certainly a local tyre fitter did - no idea what I was on about when I asked him not to continue tightening once his torque wrench clicked.

Cheers Sea Dog I did not have original PDF instructions when I installed mine, so followed the video, with original T50 and screws and as soon as my torque wrench clicked, I stopped quick, fair do,s to machine moto I just sent them an email, and they got back saying they will send the longer T50 bolts, I will leave the original T50 in for the moment and see what happens. :beerjug:

Latest email received, this should clear things up for everyone, and explain the softer other T50 hex bolts.

The reason we provide 3.5mm longer bolts is to compensate for the addition thickness of the X-Head. We can send you the latest 12.9 grade steel bolts in about 10 days since we're waiting to receive them from our manufacturer. We have 8.8 grade steel bolts we can send now, but you must be careful to limit tightening torque to 9 Nm. You can use your OEM bolts for the time being, but because they are shorter you must be particularly careful not to over tighten them. Let me know what you prefer us to do.

I couldn’t decide on the X-Head or the BMW OEM bars. So got both.........

Attachments

• 06A614EC-C7F0-407B-81AD-A7025EA65B54.jpg
    06A614EC-C7F0-407B-81AD-A7025EA65B54.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 254
Both is a good choice. Lots of stories of bikes going over with cash bars and the head still getting scraped/damaged especially off road.

My X-Heads have just arrived, can't believe how heavy they are! Seriously tough.

My X-Heads have just arrived, can't believe how heavy they are! Seriously tough.

I believe that's illustrative of Machineart's careful selection of material to do the job right. The Chinese copies of such things don't go to the same lengths.

One downside to the head protectors to be aware of - they trap (salt) water and can lead to the paint corroding - so make sure you give the insides (rubber bit) a good coating of ACF50 before fitting - remove periodically and re-apply ACF50.

One downside to the head protectors to be aware of - they trap (salt) water and can lead to the paint corroding - so make sure you give the insides (rubber bit) a good coating of ACF50 before fitting - remove periodically and re-apply ACF50.

Oh dear another 50 pages on bike falling to pieces...............:blast

well, got the BMW ones.. see what you mean about the rubber bit huging the cover... do you think putting ACF50 in there will trap grit leading to scratching and paint removal that way?.. i was thinking of VHT waterprofe grease but that would do the same?.. in the end I put them on dry.

They do look well though.. obviously made for the job ;)

The BMW valvecover protectors are the best.They look good and are very sturdy because of the rubber sandwich between the valvecover and the valvecover protector.
Even if you have a ADV with the crashbars I would fit them because on soft ground the bars can dig in and the valvecovers be punctured a rock or such...

yes, pleased with them.. and managed to get a mint set off E-bat for £100... so happy there also....

Hilltop next??.. :)

yes, pleased with them.. and managed to get a mint set off E-bat for £100... so happy there also....

Hilltop next??.. :)

Save some cash for ACF-50 and sDoc100 otherwise your bike will self destruct, Engineer has told you so...........:augie

Ok - I give up...

If a bod fits head covers (and for the sake of argument, let's assume the bod fits decent, non-Chinese ones) what exactly is the point of the additional scaffolding?

:nenau:nenau:nenau

Ok - I give up...

If a bod fits head covers (and for the sake of argument, let's assume the bod fits decent, non-Chinese ones) what exactly is the point of the additional scaffolding?

:nenau:nenau:nenau

MachineArt have a blog post on the subject: https://machineartmoto.com/mounting-x-head-cylinder-guards-or-crash-bars-or-both/

Regarding using crash bars or not, for mostly street riding either X-Heads or crash bars will be sufficient. Some riders do not like the look of all that plumbing around the engine so opt for X-Head guards instead. X-Heads are designed to cover 80% of the face of the head to protect, not only the bottom/front initial impact area in a drop, but also the upper part of the cylinder head. Even in a stationary drop in a driveway, inertia can cause a bike to roll partially onto the face of the head before it settles down.

For off-road riding, X-Heads alone are very effective because of their broad coverage and the Super Tough Nylon material we use is the best that can be had for this application, preventing breakage and punctures. For heavy duty riding and frequent drops in rough terrain, X-Heads complement crash bars to protect heads from weird strike angles onto rocks that can get past openings in the bars, especially at the rear part of the cylinder. Adding bars is another layer of defense.

All you really need are valve cover protectors.The original BMW ones are in this case the best because they are the most protective and best looking.
Crash bars alone don't give much protection in the dirt and leave the valve covers vulnerable to penetration by rocks.But they are good for hanging lights...:D

Back
Top Bottom