BMW r1200rs

DCB401

Reaction score
I've been looking at this model as a 2 up tourer, as it seems to accomodate us little people who are cursed with the little legs.
But there doesn't seem to be a lot of infomation about them.
Are there any owners on here who might be willing to give a honest apraisel of this bike.
Many thanks Duncan.

Bloody brilliant. Quick, handles well. Good weather protection. Not had 1 issue in 9,000 miles on mine. Slightly more leant forward than the gs but not uncomfortably so. Obviously lower to sit on. Nothing not to like really.

Best bike in the BMW range.

Of course, I am biased as I have had one since Sept 2016. I love riding it. Wish my right hip was so convinced - as said above, a slightly sporty riding position so it gets painful for me on longer trips. This didn't stop me riding it to Avignon last Easter, or Brittany in September. It handles motorways easily with decent wind protection and is great fun in the twisties. Get the SE Sport with all the gadgets & electric suspension.

Also as above, go to the forum listed.

Thanks for your replies, will spend some time checking out the website.
Being honest I am a little nervous about the amount of high tech stuff/electrics on these bikes and how they will last once the warranty period is finished. Other than that I don’t see much to dislike.
The only other bike that may be suitable is the new Yamaha tracer 900 gt, but it has a high seat so sadly no good for shorty legs like me. But the Rs is calling to me, and if the weather ever sorts itself out I shall try one out.
My local dealer has a iconic model in at the moment, but don’t see what it has over the normal models apart from different paint ?

Being honest I am a little nervous about the amount of high tech stuff/electrics on these bikes and how they will last once the warranty period is finished. Other than that I don’t see much to dislike.
The only other bike that may be suitable is the new Yamaha tracer 900 gt, but it has a high seat so sadly no good for shorty legs like me. But the Rs is calling to me, and if the weather ever sorts itself out I shall try one out.
My local dealer has a iconic model in at the moment, but don’t see what it has over the normal models apart from different paint ?

that is all it is - SE Sport with different paint and a badge with the edition number - one thing to bear in mind is that 2017 saw a mild update, with a modified gearbox that supposedly made the quickshift work more smoothly.

I'm 5'8" with a 31" inside leg - I can flat foot on the RS and on the Tracer I owned. Seat is narrower on the Tracer so extra height is not so noticeable. I got fed up with the cheap suspension on my Tracer - a mate spent £1200 on improving his but still sold the bike for a KTM Super Duke.

Go for some test rides. Pick some roads with bumpy surfaces and then make up your mind if the extra cash for more sophisticated suspension is worth it.

If you subscribe to this forum - there is a very tide S/H Triumph Tiger 800 for sale, that might save you £9k on price!

Tiger is akin to the Tracer, and I wouldn't like to say which is the better bike to be honest.

(of course - you might be set on a new bike, rather than S/H)

I had a go on one last week and liked it so much I should have one by next weekend. :thumb2

I'm 5'8" with a 31" inside leg - I can flat foot on the RS

It still winds me up that I'm 2" taller than you but my legs are 3" shorter.

I sometimes wonder if I'm the world's tallest midget.

Ha, ha. I remember you following me riding my XT1200Z from the hotel to the Tunnel and when we arrived you said, "you can flat foot that, on both sides, you cúnt."

The R1200RS is a good looking bike but the R1200R is more fun to ride due to quicker steering.
What both need is a analog tachometer instead of the unreadable/stupid looking bar graph,150 hp and TL...:D
Buy the GS - it's the better bike.The RS looks prettier,though...;)

Sport touring more than a touring machine. Brilliant bike with lean forward sporty riding position. Great for rider but you will have to evaluate how your pillion likes it with less rider wind protection. I think it has the best front end on any bike i have ridden.

As Eric Morecambe said, he might have short legs, but at least they reach the floor. Boom Boom !!

Had one for a test ride- noticeable wind blast, nice handling, brilliant quickshifter, comfy enough. Low footrests though-- I kept scraping my toes on corners.

I've got one today as a loan bike. Really like it but boy, the wind. It's like going back to my F800R.

At 70mph on the motorway it's almost unbearable.

Shame, because I think it looks pretty cool and is certainly very nice to ride.

I've got one today as a loan bike. Really like it but boy, the wind. It's like going back to my F800R.

At 70mph on the motorway it's almost unbearable.

Shame, because I think it looks pretty cool and is certainly very nice to ride.

If your previous bikes were a R1150GS and a Tracer, like me, then the RS screen is wonderful...

after market screen will sort the wind out. I am on to my second and of to spain in july with wife as pillion spot on. Just buy it

The R1200RS is a good looking bike but the R1200R is more fun to ride due to quicker steering.
What both need is a analog tachometer instead of the unreadable/stupid looking bar graph,150 hp and TL...:D
Buy the GS - it's the better bike.The RS looks prettier,though...;)

Do what a lot of RS users do and fit the bars off the R best of both worlds and easy to d

Get yourself a test ride and see if it's the bike for you. I rode one last year but ended up buying another lowered GS instead. Test ride one of those too if you can- I'm 5'7" and 29" inside leg and find the GS is quite manageable.

Test ride an R1200R while you are at it.......lots of screen options for those.....I really liked mine, my only minor complaint was the accommodation for the pillion was slightly cramped....that aside it was briliant.

Mick.

Back
Top Bottom