Fault warning lights possible future MOT fail !!

flo3flo

Reaction score
Had my 2008 GS MOT'd yesterday.
My local garage engineer told me that he had heard as of April 2019 the government are considering engine management warnings (On the display) as MOT failures. He said it hadn't been confirmed yet and didn't know whether other fault lights would be included.
Bloody hope not. Mine has the 'no fuel' yellow triangle and the 'flat tyres' warning because the sensor batteries have run out.

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Seems unlikely that the tank reserve light on a car would cause a fail.
I would not consider it an engine management light, not sure about tyre warning as that is a safety specific fault

Just brings bikes inline with cars. ABS or engine warning light is an automatic fail. Not sure how they will deal with the ABS on some bikes as it doesn't go out unless moving but cars go out on a timer. There is more than that to it as well like HID lights on a bike/car that didn't come with them is a fail and stuff like that. Not sure about bikes but cars will be examined to make sure the emissions devices are still intact ie if it is meant to has a catalytic converter or DPF it is still there. And there is an unreasonable noise fail as well. Can't see that one ever flying as it is too subjective so can be challenged too easily. That said an open exhaust, you know your in the wrong but a bit fruity, meh.

Obviously ymmv dependent in how friendly your tester is

My tester said oh I see you have HIDs. Then he looked at the beam pattern and said obviously the lamps were designed for them. Nothing wrong with that. He knows BMWs are made for halogen bulbs. He said the same about LED bulbs.

My tester said oh I see you have HIDs. Then he looked at the beam pattern and said obviously the lamps were designed for them. Nothing wrong with that. He knows BMWs are made for halogen bulbs. He said the same about LED bulbs.
Yes but from May technically if it wasn't made to have HID it should fail unless you have went to the bother of fitting headlight washer which it also must have. No idea why but this isn't a requirement for led.

It's all a bit dumb but it is what it is and so long as you get on with your tester it will all be OK.

Yes but from May technically if it wasn't made to have HID it should fail unless you have went to the bother of fitting headlight washer which it also must have. No idea why but this isn't a requirement for led.

It's all a bit dumb but it is what it is and so long as you get on with your tester it will all be OK.
It is supposed to also be self levelling for hid, as long as you don't dazzle your fine is my mot testers view.

Interestingly we had long discussion about bike v car abs warning, his view was that you'd need totally different testing equipment due to difference in weight distribution for a start, and bike rollers don't do abs.

Nor can emissions be done, as any two stroke would kill the sensor.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I think without washers and projector lenses, HIDs have always been an MOT fail. I got lucky with a sensible test mechanic. The LEDs however look like ordinary halogens and give a similar beam pattern, but annoyingly they still do the HID style flash when the ignition is switched on.

Nor can emissions be done, as any two stroke would kill the sensor.

My Kettle certainly would. It really smokes after a long lay off. The new direct injected catalysed 2 strokes such as BRP are using in Skidoos and Evinrude outboards are clean and efficient. Why can't we have a bike with one of those? Noise maybe? It's certainly not emissions any more.

Bikes with cornering ABS and cornering traction control can only really be tested on the road as they use giros etc to judge when to activate the systems. But ABS (if not all the cornering malarkey) is now mandatory on bikes so tests will have to be devised.

Back
Top Bottom