Advice following bike being written off

donkeh

Reaction score
Hi,

This part of the forum seemed the most appropriate - please move if it isn't.

I recently had an accident in Europe and my insurance company immediately decided to write off the bike without any inspection of the bike.

They told me it was being written off as Category B (I assumed simply worst case since they hadn't seen it) and they made me an offer for the bike, which I accepted including keeping the bike.

I have since found out (via https://www.mycarcheck.com/) that the bike has been listed as category N.

I have a couple of questions about the whole process which I'm hoping you guys might have some answers for!

1. Is there a definitive way I can check the write off category?
2. Am I supposed to inform DVLA? This page (https://www.gov.uk/scrapped-and-written-off-vehicles/insurance-writeoffs) isn't exactly clear on what I should do, but almost suggests nothing needs to be done.

I have switched my insurance policy to another bike, so I have declared the written off bike as SORN for the time being.

Thanks for any advice you are able to share!

Category N is basically the old Category D so it can be repaired and re-used.
It's the lowest level so quite likely a fairly easy and inexpensive repair if you're a bit handy with the tools and maybe use 2nd hand parts.
I fixed my written off Cat D 1100GS for around £600 and that had the front end totally wrecked plus rocker covers and other bits.
I didn't have to involve DVLA in order to reuse it but my insurer wanted a fresh MOT done "to prove roadworthiness" for what an MOT was worth.

Your snag may be actually getting the bike back, if it's still in Europe, but I suspect that the insurer would do that if you've invoked the buy back of the wreckage.
I don't know if there would be a surcharge but technically there shouldn't be....mine was fetched and carried to and from an initial recovery point, then to and from a salvage place, all at the insurer's cost.

What is the damage?
With you saying that you accepted the offer including buy back, it suggests you are looking at repairing it ?

I don't know how you'd conclusively check the damage status.

The bike is 9 months old and therefore has BMW emergency assistance, who have arranged to bring the bike back to me.

The damage on the bike is front end impact related, with both forks bent being the biggest issue. Aside from the front end, there is nothing wrong with the rest of the bike and my intention (when it was a cat B) was to either split it, or sell it as was for parts. If it has actually been written off as Cat N, then I may well look into repairing it and either keeping it, or moving it on (I have ordered a new bike).

If the fork damage is just bent stanchions,if they're just bent and not creased, they can be straightened.
Usually massively cheaper than brand new replacements, and you'd have to carefully check 2nd hand ones anyway.

Back
Top Bottom