Are these really needed?

Slime Bomb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The dust cap/bung on the 1200 gs adventure pannier locks. Has anyone experienced any detriment by leaving them off or do they actually need to be there? :nenau

Attachments

• WP_20180318_08_23_58_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180318_08_23_58_Pro.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 416
The dust cap/bung on the 1200 gs adventure pannier locks. Has anyone experienced any detriment by leaving them off or do they actually need to be there? :nenau
Mine.snapped ages ago , no problems with the locks yet

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

Just squirt a bit of acf50 or similar in the locks occasionally... would do probably more good :thumb2

Hi Slime, I had these panniers before getting some Metal mules, one thing I miss is that I would leave the covers out when unlocked but always inserted them when I locked the pannier. Don't think it will be detrimental to take them off but I just had to give the locks a quick visual before climbing back on and riding off, knowing they were secure.

JimmyMac

I got one missing and thought I would replace it. The dealer quoted me over £4 just for one. I thought a pack of 6 would be reasonable at that price, but just one. They can "Get fucked". So I took them all off. They were looking a bit raged anyway.

I think I can learn to live without them. :D

Right, looks like they're coming off. I've recently bought the bike and there's marks on the pannier where one has vibrated loose in the past, plus, I keep breaking me nails on the feckin things! Now...where did I put that nail varnish.

Why don't you stick a piece of insulating tape over the lock everytime the key is out?

I suspect my lock was smoother when I had the hard plastic covers. I bought some replacements only to find (months later) that I’d been sent the useless soft rubber type that won’t go into the locks.

IMO it’s worth having hard covers on the rear facing locks as they get sprayed with grit.

Back
Top Bottom