Tyres, yes I know......

busy builder

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just wondering what tyres people are using, I've used Michelin Pilot 4's (not the GT's) for last few years but wondered if there are better tyres out there now ?

I used to swear by Bridgstone BT020's but then they brought out the 021's which were a disaster, which goes to show new isn't always better.

Metzler Roadtec 01 nice handling but I have found the fronts seem to go out of shape fairly quickly .

Another vote for the Roadtec 01 very good in the wet. I was advised to get the heavy weight Tyres front and rear although Metzler site states they’re only required for the rear. 2000 miles in and they look and feel fine but my trip down to Corsica this May will let me fully evaluate their wear rate.

Roadtec-01 are great tyres, better than PR4 - I reckon.

If you can get Conti Road Attack 3 for sig cheaper than Roadtecs - they could be a good choice.

+1 for the Roadtec 01s from me. Though I’ve only done a few hundred miles so far, they have performed brilliantly.

I've worked out after 3 years, the Michelin PR4's do about 5,000 miles as its getting set number 4 at 15,900 miles.

I remember when tyres lasted 7,000+ miles, is it the roads ?

Going for Metzler Roadtec 01 at £280 fitted and balance to loose wheels. I know others here have bought them cheaper but I'm way up in the Highlands and not much choice for supply and fit.
Judging by previous tyre prices, mainly for PR4's tyre prices are rising at about £20 pa.

I've worked out after 3 years, the Michelin PR4's do about 5,000 miles as its getting set number 4 at 15,900 miles.

I remember when tyres lasted 7,000+ miles, is it the roads ?

In some cases yes I believe it is the roads - In Scotland the road surfaces are more abrasive ( so I am reliably informed by a road engineer) something to do with the weather etc

However i actually think that tyre technology is changing and more and more silica type stuff is in tyres as we demand more and more grip wet and dry.

There are tyres out there that will last many many thousands of miles but probably wont go round corners as well !

Me

I prize grip over longevity every time

Going for Metzler Roadtec 01 at £280 fitted and balance to loose wheels. I know others here have bought them cheaper but I'm way up in the Highlands and not much choice for supply and fit.
Judging by previous tyre prices, mainly for PR4's tyre prices are rising at about £20 pa.

Why not buy some kit and do them yourself. Loads of choice for supply,zip for fit hence diy, I’m as far west as you are North

Agree with about 5 k for a rear

Back
Top Bottom