Doussard

ianran

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Booked a week in Doussard 2nd week of June. One of the few areas of France I haven’t been, any suggestions for good rides/ destinations?

I stayed with Wapping and a few others at https://www.hotelarcalod.fr/en/ in Doussard a few years ago. Loads of decent roads to ride. 2nd week of June, you may find some of the >2000m passes are still closed.
Col de la Madelaine is nearby, Cormet de Roseland over to Bourg St Maurice is a super ride - and if you want a longer ride go beyond through Val d'Isere etc.

If you need to be at lower altitude, then explore the Massif des Bauges - the national park between Annecy & Las du Bourget. Loads of lower altitude roads to the north in the Jura. I rode some last year as we had an overnight in St Claude on the way to Grenoble.

Thanks for that, it was booking on a whim sounds like a good place to be.

Some stunning riding there. As well as Wessie's excellent recommendation, I'd definitely head to Modane, over Col du Mont Cenis and back into France over col de l'echelle (though the alternative Montgenevre is also excellent). Alternatively head south-west across the Chartreuse and into the Vercors. You can also tick of Alpe d'Huez, the northerly leg of Route Napoleon (depending on how ambitious you want to get, maybe as far south as Digne, though that'd be a long day to loop back). All of it is going to be subject to the spring melt and you may find the big-name passes (l'Iseran, Galibier) are still shut but you should be okay with most of the rest.

ETA: there's some good riding going north, too, if you pick up the Route des Grandes Alpes over Col d'Aravis, etc

Looks like I’ve got lucky with my random choice. Did the Furka on the way to Rome by accident two years back, they are fun these passes ��

A long while ago I tripped over the website of a hotel in Saint-Ferreol, Faverges, Lac d’Annecy. The website had 15 very nice downloadable route maps, which I decided to print out and save. Some / all of routes could be amended easily to suit your stay in Doussard. The hotel’s website no longer offers this excellent service but if you let me have your email address, I’ll convert the pages to a PDF and send them to you.

There are also lots of routes based on or around Annecy on UKGSer, all cut into nice gps files.... and of course try the RiDE website, too

A long while ago I tripped over the website of a hotel in Saint-Ferreol, Faverges, Lac d’Annecy. The website had 15 very nice downloadable route maps, which I decided to print out and save. Some / all of routes could be amended easily to suit your stay in Doussard. The hotel’s website no longer offers this excellent service but if you let me have your email address, I’ll convert the pages to a PDF and send them to you.

There are also lots of routes based on or around Annecy on UKGSer, all cut into nice gps files.... and of course try the RiDE website, too

Thank you for that kind offer, ianransom09@gmail.com :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom